Inside the camp that brought down the Adelaide Crows

Posted because it is 1) football related, 2) weird and interesting, and 3) the RFC caused this to happen in our glorious 2017 GF.

We did break the Crows! The GF made them do this voodoo cult 'camp', and they used We're from Tigerland as part of what destroyed the team. Interesting read, and actually like proper journalism. And do not ever do what the Crows did. Junk, false tough crap.

I love that 3 years later this is still talked about. Hopefully in another 3 years they can re-hash it while Crows are still wallowing down the foot of the ladder haha

It's just about the most incredible case of self destruction in the AFL for years. And then denial that they'd trashed a potential premiership team themselves. And all for belief in pretending to be the SAS :D

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
It kinda feels sad that this went down and I find it hard to laugh at in my opinion. They had a good list and all they had to do was dust themselves off and go again like GWS did after 2019 and Collingwood did after 2018. They ventured into unnecessary pathways to atone for their Grand Final failure and are now comfortably sitting 18th on the ladder.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
The difference in our fortunes and Adelaide's since 2017 really highlights the benefits of positive reinforcement compared to doing the exact opposite.

I feel very sorry for the players who got subjected to that kind of insane thinking (the use of deeply personal information to abuse players is just abhorrent just for starters), and once again proud of how well the club looks after our players and have their best interests and wellbeing as our guiding principle.

Very interesting (and shocking for mine) to note Gibbs' comments that he went through way worse at Carltoon...and we all know how well they've been traveling in recent years.

The difference in our fortunes and Adelaide's since 2017 really highlights the benefits of positive reinforcement compared to doing the exact opposite.

I feel very sorry for the players who got subjected to that kind of insane thinking (the use of deeply personal information to abuse players is just abhorrent just for starters), and once again proud of how well the club looks after our players and have their best interests and wellbeing as our guiding principle.

Very interesting (and shocking for mine) to note Gibbs' comments that he went through way worse at Carltoon...and we all know how well they've been traveling in recent years.

Yeah, I noticed that. If any club went the faux tuff man thing I'd guess at Carlton. Possibly why they have sucked for so long. Not just things like that, but the attitude that leads to people thinking it's a good idea.

If you are likely to be genuinely tortured then giving people some idea what they are in for make sense. Doing it to your players makes no sense.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, I noticed that. If any club went the faux tuff man thing I'd guess at Carlton. Possibly why they have sucked for so long. Not just things like that, but the attitude that leads to people thinking it's a good idea.

If you are likely to be genuinely tortured then giving people some idea what they are in for make sense. Doing it to your players makes no sense.

Couldn't agree more.

I guess in Carltoon's case it's been a part of their DNA for a very long time and they've been blind to the fact that it doesn't work more often than not with the current generation of players.

I suspect a similar reasoning would be behind a large part of how and why Wallace got so far off-side with much of the playing group.

I don’t get a lot of joy from it , I just can’t fathom how leadership at the club that sanctioned this major fu** up still remain as in pres and ceo

That's the issue isn't it. They screwed the club up, and are still in charge. Fish rots from the head and all that.

But IMHO that article really makes it clear the 2017 GF destroyed the club.

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
A few observations that strike me as an historian about all this. Notice the mysterious tattooed "Wolfgang" who appears to be some sort of version of the Biggest Loser's Commando with a (in the context of all this military/style SAS bullshit) sounds a bit different to what I'd imagined. I thought these people were New Age shysters, and the appropriation of the talking stick and the tepees has that vibe. But the dagger and the tatts and the Germanic name all has a disturbing sort of neo-Nazi vibe (which no doubt went down well with the Indigenous players). The whoie "break them down and reconstruct them as a soldier" is an American military tradition which actually goes back to the Revolutionary War. Washington hired a Prussian major to train the Continental Army, using techniques that Frederick the Great had made famous - notorious for their brutality. The American military has been fond of this sort of stuff ever since. 18th Century armies were recruited from the underclass - often criminals were given the choice of gaol or the army. Anyone who's watched the first half of Full Metal Jacket knows how it "works". So what you start with is an already flawed process based on extreme hierarchy, designed to create killing machines, refracted through a bunch of b/s charlatans.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t get a lot of joy from it , I just can’t fathom how leadership at the club that sanctioned this major fu** up still remain as in pres and ceo

I like this sort of thing having this sort of result. It is the way the world does work and the way it should work. You focus on the things that matter and do them better for longer you are likely to succeed. You focus on image and mind bending group think voluntarist psycho babble cult creating *w1t stuff you lose sight of what matters and if you do that in a highly competitive environment, you will fail. This is how it should be.

Let them crash and burn and they will eventually get rid of the poor decision makers and start again on a better track. It would be good to see some of the players stand up and say “I don’t think this is going to make me a better footballer” but there again, didn’t Melbourne do that, and have barely won a match since?

For the first 10 years of their existence they thought they were better than everybody else, when they played us it was like .. Richmond? they aren't even worthy to play against us.

Sucked in I say, hope they stay sh*t for many more years to come.

*in A brother. I remember that s**t as well.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I love that 3 years later this is still talked about. Hopefully in another 3 years they can re-hash it while Crows are still wallowing down the foot of the ladder haha

weird thing is I respected the crows a lot. Then they did that *in power stance and I was like I hope some club knocks that ******* smirk off their face. Turned out it was us and we did the biggest number on them known to man.

EC66E478-B074-418E-911C-DC898A8892EF.gif

Back