News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest issue with expansion is that the talent pool is already spread so thin among 18 clubs. Let alone a 19th or 20th.

I’m all for preserving long standing clubs, but the elite level should be just that, the best of the best, and if some clubs can’t compete at that level they can either drop out into lower level comps where their history can be preserved, or wound up entirely.

4 Vic clubs need to go, add an NT and TAS team to get us back to 16. 22 round season plus finals (everyone plays each other once, plus room for double ups against local sides & marquee games etc), and SOO as a pre-season fixture.
Nah, people loved footy in the 90s, when we had about 2/3rds the population of Aus atm, plus barely any kids from NSW/Queensland, plus no kids from multicultural backgrounds. There's more than enough talent, the AFL just needs to invest properly at the lower levels.

The 4 smallest Vic clubs would have 150-200k members, plus a heap more fans. Alienating that many people for no real benefit would be moronic.

Nah, people loved footy in the 90s, when we had about 2/3rds the population of Aus atm, plus barely any kids from NSW/Queensland, plus no kids from multicultural backgrounds. There's more than enough talent, the AFL just needs to invest properly at the lower levels.

The 4 smallest Vic clubs would have 150-200k members, plus a heap more fans. Alienating that many people for no real benefit would be moronic.
Also no amount of talent can easily overcome the defensive structures and the rules that allow players to play without fear of getting hurt (rightfully changed these rules in many cases).

90's guys could clean people up with bumps, or as a forward cannon into a guy who sat in front. Naturally this opens up the game.

We've moved on from that, for the right reasons, but it has had an impact on the way the game is played. Plus professionalism, and defensive structures.

Basically a whole heap of things but not a dilution of talent.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just have 19/20 teams. What happened to Fitzroy was an absolute disgrace and the fact people think the same should happen to North despite North being in a much, much better situation is astounding

North exist for the sake of existing. They won't ever be a premiership threat because they're financially unable to keep up with other AFL teams.
Their revenues are almost half of the eagles ($74.4m vs $39.2m) and their outgoings are similar ($67m vs $39m). They are spending $28m less than the eagles. How do they possibly compete?

Source

North exist for the sake of existing. They won't ever be a premiership threat because they're financially unable to keep up with other AFL teams.
Their revenues are almost half of the eagles ($74.4m vs $39.2m) and their outgoings are similar ($67m vs $39m). They are spending $28m less than the eagles. How do they possibly compete?

Source

Every single team above us on the ladder is a financial minnow compared to us.

Every single team above us on the ladder is a financial minnow compared to us.
Very inciteful comment.

Our downturn is due to the footy cycle and mistakes made over last few years at all levels of the club.
We have historically been very successful and spent minimal time outside finals, no doubt our financial strength has a lot to do with that. North have been the exact opposite for 20+ years now.

Very inciteful comment.

Our downturn is due to the footy cycle and mistakes made over last few years at all levels of the club.
We have historically been very successful and spent minimal time outside finals, no doubt our financial strength has a lot to do with that. North have been the exact opposite for 20+ years now.
That's crap, between 07-18, North made 3 prelims and were at worst in finals contention almost every year despite being one of the least resourced teams in the comp. And 20+ years seems a little harsh too, if I recall correctly North went OK in the 90s.

That's crap, between 07-18, North made 3 prelims and were at worst in finals contention almost every year despite being one of the least resourced teams in the comp. And 20+ years seems a little harsh too, if I recall correctly North went OK in the 90s.

Same number of prelims as us, we even played them in one, for one fewer premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were definitely the second best team of the 90s ;)

I was gonna call them 'arguably the best team of the 90s' but I thought that was asking for trouble.
Problem for NM is that even when they were having success they never truly had the ‘solidness’ of other clubs. (Arguably StK might be similar albeit without North’s success.)

I know we are now the wealthiest club but even in earlier days I always had faith that our foundations were strong. (And for that reason I’m sure we’ll be contenders again - and long before NM - if they still exist.)

Is anyone able to access the article in today’s West about us reviewing the Castore deal? It’s a shame Skunkwear’s not around any more to be our exclusive supplier of XXXXL guernseys.

Attachments

• B48F4E35-EFEC-4F5D-ABAA-8D3F18B6330E.jpeg
    B48F4E35-EFEC-4F5D-ABAA-8D3F18B6330E.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 50
Is anyone able to access the article in today’s West about us reviewing the Castore deal? It’s a shame Skunkwear’s not around any more to be our exclusive supplier of XXXXL guernseys.
There's not really anything of interest in it. It's the below quote and then just listing all the jumper issues we've had in the past few years. (Chesser, Edwards, Naish, pride jumper etc)

“Regarding Castore, the club is reviewing the partnership and will provide an update to members and supporters in due course,” the statement read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back