Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

That article was absolute drivel, took the glass half full on the dockers and the half empty on the Eagles. No effort to actually analyse the young and mid twenties players between each club and seemed to be assuming a bunch of recent draftees would be stars. Freo would want to be on the improve after 5 season missing finals.
Oh for sure, no doubting Freo are improving and heading in the right direction and good luck to them! -but like you said it was an obvious case of pumping up their tyres and letting the air out of eagles tyres?

You know that we are going to absolutely cop it when they do eventually finish higher than us on the ladder.
But it's been a great ride full of laughs (at their expense) for quite a long time, wouldn't trade it for the world. As the wheel (of arrogance) slowly turns in their favour, I guess in hindsight there is only so much chardonnay one can consume? Fortunately we shouldn't slide too far down the ladder, although a good draft pick or three would be handy!

You know that we are going to absolutely cop it when they do eventually finish higher than us on the ladder.

I don't think it will be this year, and hopefully we get one more flag before it does happen.

We most certainly will cop it... but as we know, our club isn’t down for long. I think that’s what makes 2018 so sweet. Since 2006, everything that happened there after, the fall, the brief revival and then Simmo’s arrival in the summer of 2013. They had just lost the grand final and were in the full grip of Dear Leader Ross’s cult, they had overtaken us completely (so they thought). Fast forward to the second derby of 2015, we got them that day and haven’t looked back, culminating in that magical day.

Meanwhile they...

But yes, they may gain the ascendancy for a while (I think I recall that our era is over and theirs has begun apparently, that was posted on here on EF night last year...) but they know full well, we aren’t down for long and they are second best, forever and always no matter what success they may achieve.

I too hope for a flag this year but haha 👍

Also a good article on the AFL site (believe it or not) from the other day.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/555902

Great article, Schmook is doing some good stuff for the WA teams.

I'm a big Simpson stan, so obviously biased, but I just think the man gets it and is the ideal coach for the modern game. I'd love to see him have a Sheedy/Clarkson like tenure and just replenish the assistant coaching ranks from time to time, to keep from stagnating.

Great article, Schmook is doing some good stuff for the WA teams.

I'm a big Simpson stan, so obviously biased, but I just think the man gets it and is the ideal coach for the modern game. I'd love to see him have a Sheedy/Clarkson like tenure and just replenish the assistant coaching ranks from time to time, to keep from stagnating.

I’m a big Simmo fan also and I really agree with you, I hope he can have a tenure ala Clarkson!
Things may start getting rough for Simmo if the commentary on here is anything to go by... 🙈

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Know nothing about him personally, but he was one of my favourite players from that era.

In the immortal words of Lynchy, "not anymore!"

So from that era, the unreformed are:

Cuz
Kerr
Ben Sharp
(allegedly, and personality aside) Hunter

Exceptional player, well known as a s**t bloke on the piss. I'm surprised more hasn't come out about fights and the like in Bunbury.

View attachment 1072872

It's only been 15 years, but jesus.

If I saw him walking down the street, I wouldn't even recognise him....
The team that keeps on giving!? It's all left such a stain on the club and can't be denied, the bad culture a bitter pill that has to be swallowed. Just shows how little attention was paid to club culture back then in those heady days when Eagles membership was swelling, along with all the ego's and popularity/idolising of players in an isolated city, and the Perth drug culture of the times. Groups of single men flying to and partying in L.A, NY and Vegas and all that jazz, a sign of the times and out of control really. Then when footy ends there's just a vacuum in their lives if heads aren't screwed on and haven't planned ahead. The club of course must take responsibility for much of this..and has done so, vastly different culture now if you look at today's team. Family, studies, counselling etc, making them rounded and grounded members of society, as much as you can with a mixed group of individuals from diverse backgrounds. Willy smoking pot as wild as it gets...so far, touch wood.

The team that keeps on giving!? It's all left such a stain on the club and can't be denied, the bad culture a bitter pill that has to be swallowed. Just shows how little attention was paid to club culture back then in those heady days when Eagles membership was swelling, along with all the ego's and popularity/idolising of players in an isolated city, and the Perth drug culture of the times. Groups of single men flying to and partying in L.A, NY and Vegas and all that jazz, a sign of the times and out of control really. Then when footy ends there's just a vacuum in their lives if heads aren't screwed on and haven't planned ahead. The club of course must take responsibility for much of this..and has done so, vastly different culture now if you look at today's team. Family, studies, counselling etc, making them rounded and grounded members of society, as much as you can with a mixed group of individuals from diverse backgrounds. Willy smoking pot as wild as it gets...so far, touch wood.

You wonder how or when the club will truly be able to move on.

We all know that era is behind the club, but the unfortunate reality is there are many sad stories associated with that era, and some of their stories are still unfolding.

I dread the day we get news about something happening to Ben.

Fremantle do have a good young list. But it took them longer to build it than they should have.

Will Fremantle be ahead of us on the
ladder in 2023? Probably but that won’t mean much if they don’t strike while Fyfe and Walters are on the list. They haven’t exactly got replacements for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, Freo still heavily rely on Fyfe, Mundy and Walters. their young players coming through do look good but don't think they have timed this rebuild well, those young players will be just be hitting their peaks as those three are finishing up and they still lack KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back