Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be filthy if naitanui doesn't get the nod

No 1 in the competition for HOs to advantage and hard ball gets.
No 2 in the competition for score launches.
No 4 in the competition for clearances.
No 13 in the competition for contested possessions.
He is also the no 1 ranked player in the competition for contested possession rate (Morris and Ambrose don't count as they have three games between them and 11 disposals total over those three games).

Compared to other ruckmen he is no 1 for HOs to advantage, clearances, hard ball gets, inside 50s, contested possessions, goal assists, forward 50 ground ball gets, tackles inside the forward 50 and bounces (irrelevant stat but, interestingly, he has almost as many bounces as the other top 24 ruckmen this year combined). He has, by far, the highest percentage of hit-outs to advantage out of any meaningful ruck at 39%.
He is no 2 for total hit outs, score launches, pressure acts, ground ball gets and metres gained (if that is a relevant statistic).
He is no 3 for tackles.
In the top 25 ruckmen he is 10th for contested marks (so definitely not as bad as people suggest).

He is the no. 1 ranked player in the competition according to AFL ratings and is equal first in the ruckmen, with Gawn, according to the coaches votes (which always favour the winning sides players).
Also Gawn has 25 more clangers and 13 more turn overs than Naitanui.

I'm struggling to see a reason how he isn't a certainty for All Australian at this point.

He is also the no 1 ranked player in the competition for contested possession rate (Morris and Ambrose don't count as they have three games between them and 11 disposals total over those three games).

Compared to other ruckmen he is no 1 for HOs to advantage, clearances, hard ball gets, inside 50s, contested possessions, goal assists, forward 50 ground ball gets, tackles inside the forward 50 and bounces (irrelevant stat but, interestingly, he has almost as many bounces as the other top 24 ruckmen this year combined). He has, by far, the highest percentage of hit-outs to advantage out of any meaningful ruck at 39%.
He is no 2 for total hit outs, score launches, pressure acts, ground ball gets and metres gained (if that is a relevant statistic).
He is no 3 for tackles.
In the top 25 ruckmen he is 10th for contested marks (so definitely not as bad as people suggest).

He is the no. 1 ranked player in the competition according to AFL ratings and is equal first in the ruckmen, with Gawn, according to the coaches votes (which always favour the winning sides players).

I'm struggling to see a reason how he isn't a certainty for All Australian at this point.
I'd love to see anyone try argue against that

He is no 3 for tackles.

Yeah but how many marks does he get? Huh? Huh? Bet you didn't think of that, did you? Huh?[/media]

He is no 3 for tackles.

I agree with you if you analyse him as a ruckman.

Here are the stats the selectors will probably look at:
Hit outs
Marks
Goals disposals

They are more excited for a ruck to also be a poor forward or mid, as well as getting useless hit outs that aren't often to their team.

Hit outs
Marks
Goals disposals

They are more excited for a ruck to also be a poor forward or mid, as well as getting useless hit outs that aren't often to their team.
In my opinion the priority should be

Tier 1:
1. HOs to Advantage
2. Clearances
3. Score launches

Tier 2:
4. Contested marks
5. Hard ball gets
6. Goals
7. Contested possessions
8. Goal assists

Tier 3:
9. Tackles
10. HO winning percentage
11. Inside 50s
12. Pressure acts
13. Intercept marks (if that's the role you want your ruckman to play)

Everything other stat is pretty superfluous.

I’d rate Intercept marks marke higher tbh. Personally we don’t need Nic Doing it with our plethora of intercept marks but for certain sides a ruckmen doing that would be huge.
i found memories of Coxy doing that especially in a few big close games.

I’d rate Intercept marks marke higher tbh. Personally we don’t need Nic Doing it with our plethora of intercept marks but for certain sides a ruckmen doing that would be huge.
i found memories of Coxy doing that especially in a few big close games.

Its more noticeable because Barrass and Gov are not taking as many of those big clunks that they were always doing for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the NN needs to drop weight discussion, he's not a late out threat ever second match any more.

More durable than Gov and Shuey
Oh ffs

Hit outs
Marks
Goals disposals

IMO the media primarily froths over contested marks when it comes to ruckmen, particularly intercepts. Forget HO and disposals, once a ruckman starts dominating in the air, they’ll get talked up as being a gun.

E703F51F-0924-4732-813C-C467E216645F.jpeg

NN being #1 in both hit outs to adv and hard ball gets is absolutely bonkers though. It’s unprecedented and I can’t see it happening again for a long time.

So currently the Naitanui vs Auto Selection (Gawn):
213 HOs to advantage vs 190 HOs to advantage (Naitanui +23)
129 clearances vs 69 clearances (Naitanui +60)
67 score launches vs 51 score launches (Naitanui +16)
17 contested marks vs 46 contested marks (Gawn +29)
2 goals vs 8 goals (Gawn +6)
219 contested possessions vs 185 contested possessions (Naitanui +34)
63 inside 50s vs 52 inside 50s (Naitanui +9)
7 goal assists vs 6 goal assists (Naitanui +1)
58 tackles vs 46 tackles (Naitanui +12)
94 score involvements vs 93 score involvements (Naitanui +1)
252 pressure acts vs 196 pressure acts (Naitanui +56)
102 ground ball gets vs 68 ground ball gets (Naitanui +34)
42 clangers vs 67 clangers (Gawn +25)
52 turn overs vs 65 turn overs (Gawn +13)

I don't have the statistic for hardball gets, however, as Naitanui is the no 1 player in the comp I'm assuming he's a ways ahead of Gawn as well.
Naitanui also increased his lead in the AFL rating department (he had about 5 more ratings points that Gawn did for their games this round) and will likely push ahead in the coaches votes (Gawn wasn't bad but there were better Demons in a losing team).

Again, unless you really over-value contested marking there is no legitimate reason that Gawn should be considered the first ruck selected on the All Australian team.

I don't have the statistic for hardball gets, however, as Naitanui is the no 1 player in the comp I'm assuming he's a ways ahead of Gawn as well.
Naitanui also increased his lead in the AFL rating department (he had about 5 more ratings points that Gawn did for their games this round) and will likely push ahead in the coaches votes (Gawn wasn't bad but there were better Demons in a losing team).

Again, unless you really over-value contested marking there is no legitimate reason that Gawn should be considered the first ruck selected on the All Australian team.
I agree with you, but the selectors will look at:
Total hit outs
Total marks
Total contested marks
Average disposals

$100 bucks says AA selectors already have GAWN in the bag, despite cold hard stats suggesting otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back