Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...rothers-have-each-others-backs-ng-b881198565z

I enjoyed this Q&A with the indigenous boys in The West.

Everyone to some extent understands the extra difficulty our immensely talented indigenous boys can have when they get drafted, but it's interesting hearing it from the players themselves and getting a little insight into what the AFL has been doing.

Massive respect for Jetts and his mentoring work. In hindsight he learned from the best in Goodes & O'Loughlin at Sydney, so it's no surprise he's passing it on.

And great work from the club, Narkle and Simpson too. There's a good chance Ryan wouldn't have been around this year and it's a testament to the man and the support around him that he's err flying now.

I like that the WA clubs seem to lead the way in a lot of this. The majority of the best indigenous players are either from WA or got their start here. It's something to be proud of and a reminder that not everyone starts with the same deck of cards. A little understanding goes a long way.

Also had a chuckle at this answer from Willie. The man who has half his family playing in the AFL.

Lewis has been the leader of the Indigenous players at the club. How influential has he been for you?

Willie Rioli: For me, personally, as someone growing up in a small community, you didn’t really know too many AFL players.

Reading that, gee... Basil was really onto something with that culture problem at the club.

I’m not a big fan of treating people with different set of rules. But it’s critical with the indigenous boys espically if they come from a difficult or isolated background. Too many talented boys are lost to bad life decisions due to inadequate care and lack of understanding ie Shane Yarran, Chris Yarran, Dale Garlett ect. Media hounding and general public comtempt and lack of empathy has sped up the demise of these boys and it’s sad.

The likes of Liam are vulnerable types and I’m exceptionally glad the club takes a greater duty of care. If we can get more of these lads to 28-30 with healthy overall careers despite a few bumps it will make a ground breaking difference to younger lads. Becuase they will have more mentors to look up to.

Yeah. You can tell even when Liam Ryan is interviewed he is sheepish and nervous.

Just let the lad play natural footy.

Its a bit s**t the indigenous guys have different rules but i think most of the squad understand why.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad someone has finally called out Danger.

Patrick Dangerfield needs to stop turning minor injuries into a ‘spectacle’ according to former Port Adelaide star Kane Cornes.

Geelong coach Chris Scott said he hoped the injury wasn’t serious and the reaction was “all part of the Danger show” — a show Cornes doesn’t enjoy watching.
“I think he’s got to get this out of his game,” he said on the AFL website.
“There’s a bit of carry-on there, isn’t there? I think even the coach admitted that after the game.
“We’ve seen it before, we saw it earlier in the year against Essendon in the country game where he limped off like that and came back on two or three minutes later.
“I don’t think that’s a good look. It’s probably the only criticism you could give Patrick for his career but not sure you need the crutches, not sure he needs to make it that big a spectacle because in the end it’s a sprained ankle and he’ll be a chance to play next week.”

Don’t really get why that’s something he has to address. If he wants to exaggerate the pain he’s in then go for it. Unless it’s affecting the umpire’s decisions of course

Don’t really get why that’s something he has to address. If he wants to exaggerate the pain he’s in then go for it. Unless it’s affecting the umpire’s decisions of course
I've noticed it a few times and it does frustrate me, but also who could possibly care enough to make a big deal of it? Let him do it, let the punters at home form an opinion of him, don't see why someone with a media platform needs to go in on him.

They're miles clear atop the ladder and he's playing good footy, it's weird to use any energy making this the Geelong talking point of the day.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/carlto...-wont-get-you-to-promised-land-ng-b881204832z

Excellent article and spot on imo. Been saying for ages "rebuilding" is the biggest myth in the AFL
I'd be so disenfranchised as a fan if our club ever came out and said we're in a rebuild. You should always be building and consolidating. It's why I love Simmos mantra and even Wooshas before of we're trying to qualify for finals as quick as possible.

That said, when Barnaba came out and said winning was second fiddle, that ******* pissed me off.

The irony with Carlton of course is that they are on the right track. If this was their first shot at it, it wouldn’t have been that bad. Unfortunately it’s about the 3rd go at a rebuild and it must be flat out annoying for the blues fans.

They tried to get top up players to complement the younger crop, but they could only attract guys who weren’t getting games at better clubs and wanted opportunity elsewhere. They picked them up cheap and it sounds great, but usually the reason they come cheap is the trading club knows how much they are worth.

Since 2017 they’ve gotten rid of the deadwood and started again. Gibbs went to Adelaide; Guys like Mullett, Palmer, Kerridge, Jaksch, Lamb, Boekhorst, Armfield, Buckley, Smedts and Rowe who were the experienced guys have now left, leaving a young group exposed. Especially when they start to get injuries like they have now.

I would much rather be in Carlton’s shoes than say Norths, who are stuck with a coach who is trying to save his job by playing an older list and not developing ANY young talent. Say what you will about Bolton, he’s got the balls to take the hard road for the benefit of the club. They’ll be fine.

(Wrong thread for this kind of discussion, but just my thoughts on Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back