Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit late, but a humorous preview of our game against Collingwood by Titus O'Reily

West Coast vs Collingwood (OS) Seven & Fox 8:10pm
The Eagles did Victorians a big favour last year. If Collingwood had won the Premiership, we’d still be hearing about it. With the Eagles winning it, in Victoria we’ve never heard mention again the Grand Final even happened.
The Victorian media report it like this, 2016, a fairy tale Bulldogs Premiership, 2017, a fairy tale Richmond Premiership, 2018, Which interstate star could be returning to Victoria?
West Coast couldn’t be catching Collingwood at a better time. In recent weeks the wheels have come off like Mal Meninga announcing his political career.
Collingwood couldn’t be catching the Eagles at a worse time, with West Coast finally showing some of that form that led them to that rumoured Premiership in 2018.
There’s been a lot of focus on Mason Cox being out of form but to be fair, he’s had a lot of help with a ton of Pies looking far from their best. It takes a team effort to play as horribly as they have recently.
Still, you’d be foolish to completely write them off, they are after all still third on the ladder. Don’t get complacent. Civilisation got lazy and now measles and Nazism is making a comeback, let’s not let Collingwood do the same. Stay vigilant.
Eagles to win.

Review of our game courtesy of Titus O'Reily.

West Coast (77) v Collingwood (78)
This is going to be difficult to write, but Collingwood was sensational in every way on Friday night.
In poor form, playing the reigning premiers in Perth, with Darcy Moore off injured and down by three goals at three-quarter time, this was a win that showed it’s not over yet for Collingwood.
It was a win of mental strength, adjusting to the pressure and then shutting the Eagles down in the second half, to the point they could barely score.
The ramifications are terrifying. A Pies’ Premiership, something that’s panicked me all year, is still a very real thing, like when you think the Mind Flayer is gone but it really never left.
I’ve felt this year like the guy standing on a street corner yelling ‘the end is nigh’ and on Friday night, the meteors started falling, the skies darkened and the seas begun to rise.
West Coast would be certainly shattered at letting this one slip; they had control for the majority of the game. They should have requested this be played on the MCG.
I wouldn’t say the Eagles are mentally weak, like some of their fans did on social media after the game, they did, after all, come back to win the Grand Final last year.
It rather just shows these two teams match up very well on each other, if we get them playing in the finals we will be blessed.

Another bad boy from the '06 premiership. will it ever end? :moustache:

Another bad boy from the '06 premiership. will it ever end? :moustache:

They were saving this up for the eve of the GF, but coz we dropped a game last week it's all over for us.

Thought Luke Shuey was pretty good On On the Mark tonight.

TBH, I'd forgotten that he was a Victorian.

You can tell that he absolutely loves Simmo and the club.
Loved it when he said "West Coast are the best in the business".

I watched that - very interesting how he spoke about Simmo bringing that "great North culture they had when he was captain" and very interesting how he spoke about Simmo adding to your song, an "old school" chanting bit he's almost certainly taken from the full North song - "Out we come, out we come, out we come to play"

Shuey was very impressive, as was his partner - that stuff he said about Simmo having the Friends, Family and Finals theme for last year - quite the turnaround in culture from what it had been perceived as previously.

Shoutout to the actual 2018 Premiers, North Melbourne apparently.

Best thing about our new chant is it doesn’t include the lyrics “lots of fun, heaps of fun, enjoy yourself today”, and is sung inside a faculty that wasn’t paid for by handouts.

Shoutout to the actual 2018 Premiers, North Melbourne apparently.

Best thing about our new chant is it doesn’t include the lyrics “lots of fun, heaps of fun, enjoy yourself today”, and is sung inside a faculty that wasn’t paid for by handouts.

Mate, your own Norm Smith Medallist said it.

I need to be careful here as your board, bit yes, that North culture Simmo has built and Shuey praises was created at a povvo club playing out of portables.

But it obviously worked for you - the West Coast Eagles won the 2018 flag.

And Brady Rawlings won't have the same resources at North he did at West Coast, but he'll have learned so much from this time with you he can help us be smart with what we've got.

The main point is that Luke Shuey is an extremely impressive human. It takes real security in yourself to look at something being done elsewhere and admire it for what it is rather than just automatically put s**t in it.

I'll be barracking for you blokes this year in September again.

Last edited:
I watched that - very interesting how he spoke about Simmo bringing that "great North culture they had when he was captain" and very interesting how he spoke about Simmo adding to your song, an "old school" chanting bit he's almost certainly taken from the full North song - "Out we come, out we come, out we come to play"

Shuey was very impressive, as was his partner - that stuff he said about Simmo having the Friends, Family and Finals theme for last year - quite the turnaround in culture from what it had been perceived as previously.

We owe Dani a great deal of gratitude for winning Luke's heart and blessing us all with a baby Shuey.

We owe Dani a great deal of gratitude for winning Luke's heart and blessing us all with a baby Shuey.

It has been said to me that Victorian footballers stay in WA ... shall we say ... not because they make great friends with the local blokes hahahaha.

Interesting in the Shuey doco was the implicit suggestion that Simmo is actively creating a culture that encourages fatherhood in his player.

That make sense on a huge number of levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been said to me that Victorian footballers stay in WA ... shall we say ... not because they make great friends with the local blokes hahahaha.

Interesting in the Shuey doco was the implicit suggestion that Simmo is actively creating a culture that encourages fatherhood in his player.

That make sense on a huge number of levels.

Simmo is no fool. We're breeding a 2040 premiership team.

No, we are apparently.

Trick question: Are the Magpies really the League's best travellers?

Interesting that they used each clubs last 20 away games and the disparity it throws up - eagles last 20 games only date back to the beginning of last season (2018). Collingwood have played 9 away games in that time and to reach the 20 game cutoff have to go back to 2015, basically 4 seasons. It’d be similar for the rest of the vic clubs.

Also this

“Perhaps the most surprising result is Richmond. The Tigers are ranked 11th for their success away from Victoria, despite the period being a strong one for Damien Hardwick's side.”

Not sure why it should be considered a surprising result when anyone with an eye to detail last year would have picked up that the Richmond juggernaut didn’t leave Victoria with only 1 win (Gold Coast) from their 5 interstate matches.

Simmo is no fool. We're breeding a 2040 premiership team.

That, and blokes with kids more likely to be home at 3am on Saturday morning, even if up with the baby.

A good article on JK.
His stats this year are better than people giving him credit for.

Textbook example of the small attention spans we all have these days.

He's had a very good year. The Bombers game he absolutely beasted two of the best key backs in the league (just couldn't kick straight). He's had an illness and had two poor games either side of that, and all of a sudden everyone thinks he's done.

Melbourne vs West Coast (TIO) Seven & Fox 3:20pm

Titus O'Reily

Triggered.
Memories of last year’s preliminary final have come flooding back. I have never recovered, and it seems, neither have the players.
I was so full of optimism before that game. My Dees had appeared to turn the corner. The sun seemed to shine brighter; my days were filled with birdsong. I was even showering.
But once it was over, the darkness that had enveloped my life up until that point returned.
What a way to get revenge, playing them in Alice Spring, the traditional home of the Melbourne Football Club.
Like most Melbourne supporters, I won’t be going to this. I consider Marvel Stadium a trek.
The Eagles will thump the Dees here. Adam Simpson has done a strange thing; he has the Eagles peaking towards the end of the season. What an odd approach.
Doesn’t he know the media award the premiership over the first five rounds?
I’ll watch this, but I’ve organised a friend to watch it with me, and I’ve organised a safe word, ‘Neeld’.

This gave me a chuckle.

Sunday
Geelong vs Hawthorn (MCG) Fox 1:10pm
Always a classic. Like bacon and eggs, Lennon and McCartney, Eagles fans and booing, somethings just go together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back