Insightful Media Coverage

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
I guess compared to last year when we went 3-0 vs the top 4 during the regular season, and if you consider post-finals we went 5-1 (with Melbourne replacing Hawthorn as top 4).

I'm sure we had a much better record against the rest of the top 8 too.

Hopefully we turn it around this week!

You can't really compare last year to this year as far as who we've beaten goes due to the difference in when and where we played them. Nothing wrong with losing to Brisbane away in round 1 immediately after a flag where they didn't make finals. Geelong in Geelong is just a bit of an anomaly, sort of like North in Tasmania. Our start to the year was a consequence of the flag win and a lot of underdone players early.

I believe we've won the same amount of home games and away games as last year assuming we lose to Richmond and beat Hawthorn. Win both and we're in better shape on away games than last year.

This week against Richmond will show us where both clubs are at I think. Richmond have only beaten a GWS side that lost their best midfielder in the opening 5 minutes while already missing their other best midfielder and a severely under-strength Collingwood. Both teams are pretty much in the same boat injury wise too (missing 1 star and 1 other player).

We've done brilliantly to get into this position off the back of last years flag, so let's see what the team does with it :)

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I was really suprised to see that stat OTC that we havent played a top 8 side since round 5.

Surely thats the top 8 as it stands. To get a true indication it should be compared to what their ladder position was when we played them & where they finished last year.

You've got it wrong I think mate.

The stat was: WC have played 2 top 8 sides since round 6.
Richmond have played only 1 game against a top 4 opponent this year.

I dont know why people think the AFL wont send us to GMHBA.

We are a non Vic side.

If we draw Geelong in the 1st week Id very much doubt itd be at the MCG.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its 100% this, they will take the chance to silence Geelongs bleating about it if they have any interstate side as an opponent.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Its 100% this, they will take the chance to silence Geelongs bleating about it if they have any interstate side as an opponent.

I disagree. I think it's only a chance if all 4 games are in Melb week 1 of finals. If Brissy finish top 2 and GWS finish 5 or 6 they're not going to have 1 game at the G (Pies/Rich vs 8th) and have the best game at GMBHole.

The AFL then start setting a precedent that they don't want to set. They sell the tickets to the finals not the clubs and they're going to want to maximise profits.

I don't even think they'd send Brisbane their in the event of that match up.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
I disagree. I think it's only a chance if all 4 games are in Melb week 1 of finals. If Brissy finish top 2 and GWS finish 5 or 6 they're not going to have 1 game at the G (Pies/Rich vs 8th) and have the best game at GMBHole.

The AFL then start setting a precedent that they don't want to set. They sell the tickets to the finals not the clubs and they're going to want to maximise profits.

I don't even think they'd send Brisbane their in the event of that match up.
Yeh this is how I would see it unfolding. If there is 2 games not in Vic, a Geelong / Eagles final would be at MCG.

And crowd numbers matter. A Cats v Eagles game would be too big for GMBHA - a Cats v Giants game would be passable down there.

If we can lock up top 2, it won't affect us anyway. Gotta beat Richmond.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
We beat Richmond and Hawthorn.
Brisbane beat Geelong but lose to Richmond.
Geelong lose to Brisbane but beat Carlton.
Richmond lose to us then beat Brisbane.

We finish a game clear on top and play Richmond at Optus first week.

Ideal scenario

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I must admit I am a bit concerned our record vs the top 4 is 0-2, 2-3 against the top 6 and 3-4 against the top 8.

Those three wins were vs Collingwood, GWS and Essendon, with losses vs Geelong, Brisbane, Collingwood and Port.

It's also strange most of those games weee at the start of the year when we went 3-3.
This weeks the big one. You could make “excuses” I guess, for those 4 losses. 3 of them were at the start of the year when we were still getting going (we’ve gone 12-2 since) and one of them was a 1 point win in unlucky circumstances. Nothing to worry about yet.. but if we get hammered this weekend those numbers become a bit more concerning.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Kingy really pumping up Gov on SEN today.
Said he's the number 1 intercept to score player in the comp.

Every time he intercepts, we score 25% of the time.
Has intercepted 46 times this year (ground balls as well)
And we've scored 7.5.

Reckons it won't be too long before someone tries a straight out hard tag on him rather than just making him accountable.

Thought it was interesting.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

And we've scored 7.5.

Reckons it won't be too long before someone tries a straight out hard tag on him rather than just making him accountable.

There's one intercept mark that led to a goal that sticks in my mind...

There's one intercept mark that led to a goal that sticks in my mind...

The great thing about winning a flag is you have so many of these moments you can keep quoting over and over again to the BigFooty nuffies.

"McGovern is a fat has-been, Rance is better"
"Darling isn't a big game player"
"Sheed should've stayed in the WAFL"

etc etc

And we've scored 7.5.

My main man Kingy coming through once again. Great stat.

Goldfish

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Jan 19, 2017