Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Played 306 games, dual premiership player (96 and 99), 1 x AA and 1 x B and F (both in 2002) with North Melbourne prior to his successful coaching tenure at West Coast
Hoping like hell Simmo is a dual Premiership coach too (for us )

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was Goodwin that good? Feel like Longmire got robbed a bit. Bit of a logjam with the majority of players though I guess

From the HS.

Good to get some positive coverage, but our midfield rated 11th....WTF!

Eight reasons to be excited about West Coast in 2020

It was far from a happy premiership defence for West Coast, with the defending champions dumped in the second week of the finals.
But that is all in the rear vision mirror after the Eagles added a superstar in the trade period to give the club one of the scariest midfield groups ever assembled.

Will that alone be enough to lift them to another level in 2020?

Check out the eight reasons to be excited about West Coast this year.

TIM KELLY

This could easily be the first, second, third and fourth reason for Eagles fans to be excited about 2020. Tim Kelly is an Eagle. What a boost for the 2018 premiers, and equally what a nightmare for opposition sides. Clubs were already having enough trouble stopping their quality midfield before the now former Cat’s decision to head home to Western Australia. He’ll slot right in and have an immediate impact at his new home, which will make the Eagles increasingly difficult to beat in 2020.

THE STAR-STUDDED MIDFIELD

The midfield was already flush with Andrew Gaff, Elliot Yeo and Luke Shuey, and then they added Kelly in the off-season. That makes for a seriously dynamic engine room, which is the best in the competition according to some. Champion Data recently released their rankings and they rated the Eagles midfield 11th in the league. It surprised a few people given the talent that resides in the middle. Time will tell how effective their midfield will be in 2020, but right now there’s plenty to like for West Coast supporters.

THE NEW SKIP

It’s a new year and there’s a new skipper at the Eagles. Luke Shuey takes over from premiership captain Shannon Hurn, who has stepped down after five years at the helm. Shuey enters 2020 at arguably the peak of his career after coming off a career best season in 2019. He won the club’s best and fairest award last season and many have tipped the 2018 Norm Smith Medallist to go to another level next season. The big question is how he will handle the extra responsibilities that come with the captaincy.

A FIT NIC NAT

Surely this is the season that it all comes together for Nic Naitanui. Nic Nat returned from his second knee reconstruction late in 2019 and played five games for the season, including both finals against Essendon and Geelong. However, he didn’t get a good crack at it, and he hasn’t for a number of years. The 29-year-old, who missed the 2018 premiership, has played only 20 games since 2016, but a full pre-season should give him the opportunity to produce the goods in the first year of the new decade.

BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE

The Eagles have been up for a while now and their premiership clock is as close to midnight as possible. However, they have also been quietly building for the future at the same time. In 2017, a year before their premiership triumph, they drafted key-position players Jarrod Brander (pick No. 13) and Oscar Allen (pick No. 21). They also nabbed draft slider Josh Rotham at pick No. 37 a year earlier in 2016. They should be well and truly firing by the time the likes Will Schofield and Josh Kennedy hang up the boots.

SILVER LININGS IN HORROR DRAW

There’s no sugar coating it, the Eagles’ draw is tough. How tough? Well, the toughest in the league, according to Champion Data. West Coast play top sides Collingwood, Richmond and Geelong twice. They’ll travel about 71,000 kilometres for their 10 away trips in 2020. That’s a lot of frequent flyer miles, but there are a few positives and particularly if you live in Victoria. Melbourne-based fans will have the chance to watch the Eagles play on six occasions, including a Friday night blockbuster Round 16 when Kelly returns to the cattery.

THE NEW DRAFTEES

The Eagles were never going to be big players in the 2019 national draft after coughing up picks No. 14 and 24 in the mega deal for Kelly. Although they were still happy with their lot after nabbing two local boys in 202cm ruckman Callum Jamieson (pick No. 49) and defender Ben Johnson (pick No. 58). Jamieson will be given time to develop, but he looms as a potential long-term replacement for Naitanui and Tom Hickey. Johnson is a lightly built defender who likes to provide dash off halfback.

RETURN OF THE HUNGER

It was a limp premiership defence from the Eagles in 2019. A shock final round loss at home to Hawthorn cost them a top four spot and thrust them into a cutthroat elimination final in the first week of September. They easily accounted for Essendon, but their season ended with a 20-point loss to Geelong in the first semi-final. The talk from the west so far this summer is that the hunger in the belly has been reignited and they’re primed for 2020. Oh, and did we mention Tim Kelly?

The HS has been running an 8 reasons to get excited for xxxxxx fans series of articles for every team in recent days. They’re deliberately optimistic so the above isn’t a one off positive article about the Eagles

If you need proof it’s written for a Victorian audience one of their reasons to get excited is the “silver lining” that we play 6 games in Victoria

The HS has been running an 8 reasons to get excited for xxxxxx fans series of articles for every team in recent days. They’re deliberately optimistic so the above isn’t a one off positive article about the Eagles

If you need proof it’s written for a Victorian audience one of their reasons to get excited is the “silver lining” that we play 6 games in Victoria

Counterpoint as someone who lived in Melbourne for some years: Getting up vic club fans at the G when we won was sublime. That Richmond game where Beau Waters took that (only) hanger of his was bloody fantastic.

-I think we have a great defence.Maybe we could use a faster small type player to cover the break out back from increasing mosquito fleets.The big upside is a fully fit Duggan as hes brave and tough and has a nasty streak.Who would have thought?? The other is Brander who is big,mobile,great grab and a scything kick.I think hes the new bigger Hurn.
- The forwards look fine.Jk will give us a solid imput without completely dominating.He needs to go back to being a leading forward not a big marking pack crasher as thats not his gig and not a good way to preserve an aging body.JD one on one is almost unstoppable.OAllen future captain and superstar can develop furthur without the pressure of being No 1 boy.
- Cameron is not just a good footballer hes a workhorse,Ryan is a star,Petrol could be anything if he develops Camerons appetite for the contest,Cripps is Cripps,and Venners could be the cream on the cake.Its an unbelievable forward line.
- The midfield looks the goods but its my big worry heading into the season.Our bigman stocks revolve round NN.Hes a star tap ruck and hard at the contest.If he goes down Hickey may be our No1.Hes a workhorse but hes not a hardnut.Much as i think he overachieved last year;i would prefer Vardy as our No2 ruck.Hes as hard as a cats head and has the size to continuously crash packs and hand out a bruising.[ just ask DV ] Williams is also a great mover,good kick and fantastic hands.
- The mids basically speak for themselves.Kelly is not neccessarily the panacea for our midfield woes as very few players; great or otherwise; come into a new side and dominate.It takes time to develop chemistry and keep in mind NN has been absent for large chunks of time so its almost two new players in the guts.
- Hunger can overcome much! Hopefully we have that back because we have on paper an unbelievable good side.Last season gave the confidence a kick in the guts but i can feel that old arrogance stirring ready to burst forth in a torrent!! Chill the chardonnay i say!!

-I think we have a great defence.Maybe we could use a faster small type player to cover the break out back from increasing mosquito fleets.The big upside is a fully fit Duggan as hes brave and tough and has a nasty streak.Who would have thought?? The other is Brander who is big,mobile,great grab and a scything kick.I think hes the new bigger Hurn.
- The forwards look fine.Jk will give us a solid imput without completely dominating.He needs to go back to being a leading forward not a big marking pack crasher as thats not his gig and not a good way to preserve an aging body.JD one on one is almost unstoppable.OAllen future captain and superstar can develop furthur without the pressure of being No 1 boy.
- Cameron is not just a good footballer hes a workhorse,Ryan is a star,Petrol could be anything if he develops Camerons appetite for the contest,Cripps is Cripps,and Venners could be the cream on the cake.Its an unbelievable forward line.
- The midfield looks the goods but its my big worry heading into the season.Our bigman stocks revolve round NN.Hes a star tap ruck and hard at the contest.If he goes down Hickey may be our No1.Hes a workhorse but hes not a hardnut.Much as i think he overachieved last year;i would prefer Vardy as our No2 ruck.Hes as hard as a cats head and has the size to continuously crash packs and hand out a bruising.[ just ask DV ] Williams is also a great mover,good kick and fantastic hands.
- The mids basically speak for themselves.Kelly is not neccessarily the panacea for our midfield woes as very few players; great or otherwise; come into a new side and dominate.It takes time to develop chemistry and keep in mind NN has been absent for large chunks of time so its almost two new players in the guts.
- Hunger can overcome much! Hopefully we have that back because we have on paper an unbelievable good side.Last season gave the confidence a kick in the guts but i can feel that old arrogance stirring ready to burst forth in a torrent!! Chill the chardonnay i say!!
When did Duggan get a nasty streak?

More fruit cake than nut case ... Cameron a workhorse, love it !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Duggan ironed someone out in the second half of the GF too. Came from out of view straight through a pack and took someone out. Lovely to watch. He showed that endeavour all game but was fumbly early so then cracking in extra hard to fix his mistakes.

For a kid whose played a handful of games i watched one where he had 11 tackles/pressure acts and i think we lost the game.Sorry i cant remember which game.But experienced players were putting the cue in the rack and he was chasing and tackling for all he was worth right till the end.
28 tackles in 7 games.Have you actually watched this kids workrate??

For a kid whose played a handful of games i watched one where he had 11 tackles/pressure acts and i think we lost the game.Sorry i cant remember which game.But experienced players were putting the cue in the rack and he was chasing and tackling for all he was worth right till the end.

28 tackles in 7 games.Have you actually watched this kids workrate??

Sorry took it as tongue in cheek, not disrespectful at all .... his challenge is limited only in 2020 by his tank, so I read you as adding a touch of humour & replied in kind. Relax.

Pretty sure Duggan ironed someone out in the second half of the GF too. Came from out of view straight through a pack and took someone out. Lovely to watch. He showed that endeavour all game but was fumbly early so then cracking in extra hard to fix his mistakes.
Funny how predraft he projected as someone who would be super clean by foot but may struggle with the physicality due to his size. Now he’s basically the opposite - tough, nuggety but loves to spray his kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back