Insightful Media Coverage

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey folks, currently working on an Adam Simpson lil doco for my YouTube channel. Some might remember I did 2/3 parts of an Eagles 18 premiership doco before youtube took it down.

The premise of the doco is basically detailing the course of the Simpson era between 2014 and the premiership.

Ive done this done differently so as to avoid any risk of it being taken down, but fingers crossed all the same haha.

I hope to have it up by next week some time and can post in here if you’re interested. Cheers.
Good luck mate, looking forward to it.

I’m interested in seeing how you’ve done it differently and worked it into Australia’s Fair Dealing system. It sucks that there is no Documentary category, but it’s hard to fit this kind of content into one of the others without becoming a critic or a comedian. It would pass as News if you had some original interviews/footage to go with it, but that would be hard to get.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Why was it taken down?

I used extended highlight footage taken from the AFL and Eagles site.

I acknowledged them as the copyright owner and this stuff is normally okay on YT (I have existing videos of this nature still up on the channel), but As someone said it was probably a little too close in content to an official premiership dvd, assuming they did one.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
The first part of the video you did was amazing was really looking forward to it when you were forced to take it down. If there is anyway to still see it?

thanks mate. Unfortunately not, I deleted it in a panic because my channel was given a strike for it. Then later realised I tragically didn’t have it backed up.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Good luck mate, looking forward to it.

I’m interested in seeing how you’ve done it differently and worked it into Australia’s Fair Dealing system. It sucks that there is no Documentary category, but it’s hard to fit this kind of content into one of the others without becoming a critic or a comedian. It would pass as News if you had some original interviews/footage to go with it, but that would be hard to get.

thanks mate appreciate it.

So this is more me speaking to the camera with highlights and music cut in over the top, so used much less extensively. I’ve also been clever and used 6 second or less clips because apparently this is a loophole haha.

I won’t make any money from it and theres always the risk the same thing will happen again, but I am quietly confident. For me this more about the chance to do a creative piece I’d really enjoy so it’s worth the risk.

For anyone with Instagram, I’ve uploaded a 60 second preview to the page @truefootyofficial. It’s a public page so you don’t have to follow to see it.
Here’s a little thumbnail I’m probably going to use too:

9920941B-33D9-43C4-8D38-3FB62C96C4F3.jpeg

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

So this is more me speaking to the camera with highlights and music cut in over the top, so used much less extensively. I’ve also been clever and used 6 second or less clips because apparently this is a loophole haha.

I won’t make any money from it and theres always the risk the same thing will happen again, but I am quietly confident. For me this more about the chance to do a creative piece I’d really enjoy so it’s worth the risk.

For anyone with Instagram, I’ve uploaded a 60 second preview to the page @truefootyofficial. It’s a public page so you don’t have to follow to see it.

View attachment 814302
Dodcumentary?

brabs

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 814302
Ah, your the true footy guy! I love your channel

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
A bit of investigative journalism in The West regarding the latest Champion data stats...

West Coast star Nic Naitanui named best player in the AFL, Fremantle’s list in lowly 16th
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Monday, 10 February 2020 5:20PM

West Coast superstar Nic Naitanui is the best player in the AFL and Fremantle are the third-worst team, according to Champion Data.

Naitanui was one of several Eagles in the elite category including four-time All-Australian Jeremy McGovern, rated as the best key defender, premiership captain Shannon Hurn and midfield bull Elliot Yeo.

Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui and Will Schofield at Eagles training.
Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui and Will Schofield at Eagles training. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
“It’s about what he does and his impact on the game,” Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne said.

“His ruck work and ground ball work were both huge factors in his rating as the best player in the competition.”

The 2018 premiers were rated fifth-best overall, behind reigning champs Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood and Greater Western Sydney.

Their midfield was also fifth, despite the huge recruiting coup of Tim Kelly from Geelong, but only “marginally” off the top-ranked Brisbane Lions.

The biggest shock was the Eagles’ defence, which was rated 13th, while their forward-line was sixth.

“There was only a small margin between seventh and 13th,” Hoyne said.

“McGovern was rated as the best key defender in the competition and Shannon Hurn was the eighth best general defender.

“Tom Barrass and Lewis Jetta were both rated as above average, Barrass because of his intercept-marking and Jetta because of his ball use.

“Brad Sheppard and Will Schofield were both below average as they didn’t offer too much offensively.”

Sam Switkowski was rated as one of Fremantle’s best players.
Sam Switkowski was rated as one of Fremantle’s best players. Credit: AAPIMAGE
Fremantle were 15th for both defence and midfield, while the “pretty thin” forward department was 14th.

Champion Data’s 18-team list analysis, as part of its 2020 AFL Prospectus, had only Gold Coast and Carlton behind the Dockers.

Dual Brownlow medallist and skipper Nat Fyfe was the only elite Docker, while Michael Walters, Rory Lobb, David Mundy, Brandon Matera, Luke Ryan, Stephen Hill and “surprise to some” Sam Switkowski were above average.

“Fyfe’s a superstar and Michael Walters is on the verge of being an elite player,” Hoyne said.

“Lobb and Mundy are above average, Andy Brayshaw, Darcy Tucker and (recruit) Blake Acres are rated as average.

“The Dockers were hurt by (young ruck) Sean Darcy, Reece Conca, and Stefan Giro’s poor ratings.

“There was on top-end talent in the forward-line, with no players rated in the top 50 compared to some teams which have three, four and five in there.

“Matt Taberner, Cam McCarthy, Brennan Cox, Travis Colyer, were all rated below average and Jesse Hogan was in the poor category.

Luke Ryan has been rated Fremantle’s best defender.
Luke Ryan has been rated Fremantle’s best defender. Credit: AAPIMAGE
“Luke Ryan was their best-rated defender, 72nd overall, with Ethan Hughes the next best at 258.”

New coach Justin Longmuir has taken over the second youngest and second least-experienced list in the competition, with 20 players joining the club in the national draft since the end of 2016, and seven through trades.

The Suns, last season’s wooden-spooners, have the weakest list, worst defence and worst forward group, while Carlton takes the worst midfield title.

The Tigers remains the AFL’s most dominant force according to Champion Data, with the best overall list, the leading defence, second-best group of forwards and seventh midfield brigade.

Back