Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
With all due respect mate you’re not privy to their inner sanctum so not sure that you can say that they’ve brought these new rules in based on a vibe alone.

Let’s see how they go this year I reckon. I’m optimistic!

Good for you to be optimistic.

However, I don't think I need to be privy to the AFL inner sanctum, to form an opinion based on their past performance, when implementing new policies and rules.

No need to get so snarky mate.

I think we all want these rules to lead to a more exciting brand of footy, so the ends can justify the means.

Liked for your reasonable tone, not the content.

Annual rule changes are a fair illustration that they have no idea what they're doing and are making things up on the fly. Decisions are made by a bunch of old white men sitting around a table agreeing on what they think is good for the game AKA how to maximise profit.

I also want to think that the game will be better for the changes, but as a purist the constant changes s**t me off and I can't help but feel firstly alienated by the powers that be, and secondly that we'll be watching AFLX on a basketball court by 2030. As a result my interest in the game wanes.

*nothing against old white men Keys

Mickey Rae

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Mighty Royals
Liked for your reasonable tone, not the content.

Annual rule changes are a fair illustration that they have no idea what they're doing and are making things up on the fly. Decisions are made by a bunch of old white men sitting around a table agreeing on what they think is good for the game AKA how to maximise profit.

I also want to think that the game will be better for the changes, but as a purist the constant changes s**t me off and I can't help but feel firstly alienated by the powers that be, and secondly that we'll be watching AFLX on a basketball court by 2030. As a result my interest in the game wanes.

*nothing against old white men Keys
If you have "nothing against old white men" why use this offensive terminology? You could have made your point without resorting to racism and ageism.
......and "genderism" if there is such a word.

Last edited:
If you have "nothing against old white men" why use this offensive terminology? You could have made your point without resorting to racism and ageism.
......and "genderism" if there is such a word.

I think it would still be sexism.

Nah just making the point that they're stuck in their ways more than anything else and they think they know what's best for everyone.

It is more the point that in the good old days, contested possession was up around 60% compared with 40% today.

So the AFL brought in new rules on little to no actual analysis, more just the vibe.

The rule changes may very well open up the game, but the game will change and evolve regardless.
I'm not sure you can lean on the contested/uncontested possession stats.

I think it's more indicative that we have started playing a lot less directly. Switching and faffing around generating extra uncontested possessions 2-3 kicks from goal.

Here's the stats that they went by at AFL house when deciding on the rule changes:

"Less people are watching our Friday night games! It must be because they find the games boring, so we need more goals!"

"Or it could be coz we keep putting cellar dwellers like Carlton and St Kilda -"

"Silence! It's because of congestion! More rule changes are required! Rabble rabble rabble!"

Mickey Rae

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Mighty Royals
I think it would still be sexism.

Nah just making the point that they're stuck in their ways more than anything else and they think they know what's best for everyone.
I like the word genderism better .......

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not sure you can lean on the contested/uncontested possession stats.

I think it's more indicative that we have started playing a lot less directly. Switching and faffing around generating extra uncontested possessions 2-3 kicks from goal.

Yeah agree the stats alone only tell a small part. It used to be a good option to kick long down the line to a 1 on 1 contest. Nowadays you work the ball around to find space, like you said.

I would bet the number of intercept marks in the 92 GF was well below the number this year as something else that has changed.

The point is the game changes naturally over time. The AFL introducting new rules every other year because of the state of the game, is just frustrating. Hopefully the new rules produce a good outcome, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them disappear in a few years like the sub rule.

Here's the stats that they went by at AFL house when deciding on the rule changes:

"Less people are watching our Friday night games! It must be because they find the games boring, so we need more goals!"

"Or it could be coz we keep putting cellar dwellers like Carlton and St Kilda -"

"Silence! It's because of congestion! More rule changes are required! Rabble rabble rabble!"
The broadcasters driving the rule changes wouldn't surprise me one bit. 'We haven't been able to cram in 58 betting ads this quarter, we need more goals Gil dont forget who funds your au pairs.'

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
The broadcasters driving the rule changes wouldn't surprise me one bit. 'We haven't been able to cram in 58 betting ads this quarter, we need more goals Gil dont forget who funds your au pairs.'
So much this.

The AFL is just a business.

Gil's only real KPI is how high the broadcast deal is every 6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This 50m rule thing is an absolute fiasco. Who would have thought bringing in untrialled and unnecessary rules at the drop of a hat would end up not working out.
It annoys me especially because the preseason comp used to be use to trial rules before they get confirmed for the season proper, so if they don’t work then there’s no commitment to use them in the home and away.

This time the Gil and his cronies just implemented them with no trial.

This 50m rule thing is an absolute fiasco. Who would have thought bringing in untrialled and unnecessary rules at the drop of a hat would end up not working out.

Silence! I have it on good authority that Gil had to fire the assistant sous chef on his third yacht coz he was so strapped for cash with the TV viewers dropping last year. Have some sympathy for people like Gil doing it tough!

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
I found this on youtube this morning, thought it might interest some of you. Your High Performance Manager Glenn Stuart talking at the Sloan Analytics Conference in the US

Thanks. Quite interesting once he got into the actual presentation. Especially the 80% win rates with top 10 players playing dropping to 66% with only 9 playing.

I found this on youtube this morning, thought it might interest some of you. Your High Performance Manager Glenn Stuart talking at the Sloan Analytics Conference in the US

Interesting watch, cheers.

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I've always liked Rohan Connolly

I like Rohan, his sporting insights are always a good read. He’s probably the most balanced & knowledgeable Victorian journalist when it comes to interstate teams. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of the reason he doesn’t work for one of the big Victorian papers anymore.

He’s a good follow on Twitter...when he isn’t busy ranting about his political ideals! Always funny when someone tells him to stick to sports and then he takes the bait big time...

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

This is fascinating stuff!
In particular the information about training loads and management makes a lot of this preseason much more understandable.
Clearly so much more happens behind-the-scenes than we will ever know.

Back