Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
talking footy and Footy classified posts snippets on their twitter account and i normally check those posts out to see if i should bother watching the shows. It seems like a few people are doing it as i haven't seen any post about the Eagles on their accounts this season.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Finally some sense about the Cripps free kick on On the Couch.

Healy and Brown both reckon it was the correct decision and the reaction has been way over the top. Healy went further to say its ridiculous to suggest Cripps played for the kick and his approach to the contest was correct by keeping his feet, and surprisingly even Roos and Lyon agreed.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Finally some sense about the Cripps free kick on On the Couch.

Healy and Brown both reckon it was the correct decision and the reaction has been way over the top. Healy went further to say its ridiculous to suggest Cripps played for the kick and his approach to the contest was correct by keeping his feet, and surprisingly even Roos and Lyon agreed.

Yep Browny had a great point: "he had no reason to go to ground, he could of easily kept his feet and still done the play."

Phillips went to ground for a tactical advantage. If anyone was 'gaming' the system it was Phillips.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It seems high-profile Victorian football media types are taking notice of West Coast a little earlier this season.

After the Eagles’ impressive win over Collingwood – and with pre-season flag fancies Richmond and Melbourne imploding – who could blame them?

Demons great Garry Lyon and St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt were among the prominent former players quick to heap praise on Adam Simpson’s side on Monday.

It’s not too late to sign up for tipping and Pick 7 fantasy! There’s great weekly cash prizes and the automatic chance to win a Mazda BT-50...Register to play The Game tipping and fantasy today!

“I’m watching West Coast on Saturday night and I’m thinking, Andrew Gaff walks into that midfield, didn’t play in the grand final, and is best on ground,” Lyon said on SEN.

“Brad Sheppard comes in and plays on Jordan de Goey, he is underrated and didn’t play in the grand final either.

“They introduce a kid called Oscar Allen who has got legitimate star qualities to the point where Brad Johnson said in that draft, he would’ve taken him number one.

“That’s how high Johnson rates him, so he’s going to compliment Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy beautifully."

“And then what you need most in the modern game is leg speed. This kid Jack Petruccelle who comes into the side and he has breathtaking speed.

“What about those four additions to a premiership side?”

They forgot about Naitanui who will come back in the middle of the year..

The ruckman who will dominate with these new rules by palming it down the throats of our mids

The ruckman who makes our entire team walk taller..

The ruckman who makes our midfield that much better.. (we were criticized when he went down and our midfield output sucked. We've since learnt to beat the best mids in the comp on paper without him)

The ruckman who wins his own ball and clears it himself at center bounces..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast
Thank god for Chris Judd!!!
Sticking it to the vanilla $soy$ boys!

Quote-

We talk about the players becoming vanilla and there's not enough characters in the game."

However, following Judd's surprising assertion regarding Martin's actions, Lloyd chimed in and asked the two-time Brownlow Medallist on the children's perspective which ensued in a back and forth between the two.
"Juddy did your son ask you what he meant? What if he did?" Lloyd asked.
"My son could've asked me why wasn't Mumford playing in the first two rounds," Judd replied.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/chris-...-gesture/3732be33-6668-4da2-9ddb-472bebf0506e

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
The only thing that matters is that Phillips gave away a free kick by taking out Cripps' legs. Blame the AFL for such a shitty rule, not Cripps.

It's not a shitty rule though - and if you had watched On the Couch last night, and witnessed that horrific injury, you would know why.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
They forgot about Naitanui who will come back in the middle of the year..

The ruckman who will dominate with these new rules by palming it down the throats of our mids

The ruckman who makes our entire team walk taller..

The ruckman who makes our midfield that much better.. (we were criticized when he went down and our midfield output sucked. We've since learnt to beat the best mids in the comp on paper without him)

The ruckman who wins his own ball and clears it himself at center bounces..

Only another 3 or 4 weeks and the big man will be back.

I feel like there's arguments for both sides; it's great to see someone desperate enough to back themselves to pounce on a ground ball to feed it out, but it's also terrible to see some of the resultant injuries.

I remember when they initially started calling holding the ball if you dived on top of it and were tackled, it infuriated me. Especially when we lost a game to the Saints at Subi when Ash McIntosh got pinged for it. But when both players keep their feet and contest a ground ball it's so much more of an entertaining contest/moment and eliminates a likely stoppage. I guess it's something we have to get used to and I think it'll make the game better in the long run. Only a fool would take the contact below the knees to play for the free, some the possible resulting injuries are career ending so I think it's unfair to say a player milks it.

I feel like there's arguments for both sides; it's great to see someone desperate enough to back themselves to pounce on a ground ball to feed it out, but it's also terrible to see some of the resultant injuries.

I remember when they initially started calling holding the ball if you dived on top of it and were tackled, it infuriated me. Especially when we lost a game to the Saints at Subi when Ash McIntosh got pinged for it. But when both players keep their feet and contest a ground ball it's so much more of an entertaining contest/moment and eliminates a likely stoppage. I guess it's something we have to get used to and I think it'll make the game better in the long run. Only a fool would take the contact below the knees to play for the free, some the possible resulting injuries are career ending so I think it's unfair to say a player milks it.

It's a credit to modern medicine that Jaymie Graham is able to walk again after his incident

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Might create more confusion, but I do like Pendlebury's suggestion that if the player is already on the ground and a playing runs into him it shouldn't be a free.

I reckon that's why Pendles was so incensed at the call on the weekend, because it's a bugbear of his.

I think the free kick was right, and so was the 50, but I'm not a fan of every aspect of the rule.

Anyway, good to see some in the media are able to get away from the hysterics and actually see that the correct call was made.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Might create more confusion, but I do like Pendlebury's suggestion that if the player is already on the ground and a playing runs into him it shouldn't be a free.

I reckon that's why Pendles was so incensed at the call on the weekend, because it's a bugbear of his.

I think the free kick was right, and so was the 50, but I'm not a fan of every aspect of the rule.

Anyway, good to see some in the media are able to get away from the hysterics and actually see that the correct call was made.

I just don't like the encouragement of going to ground. There was no reason why Phillips went to ground except to body block the ball and make it hard for Cripps to contest. It was pure gamesmanship not brave.

Somehow Cripps needs to stop on a dime and tackle without going high or in the back.

Last thing we want is both players after a 50/50 ball bothing diving to the ground as quickly as possible.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
From news.com.au. An article about The West's ridiculous headline today.

History will remember McGuire’s response to his Magpies defeat against West Coast in last year’s grand final as exemplary too.

He visited the Eagles changerooms post-game to offer his congratulations and spoke magnanimously about the victor.

“If we’re going to get beaten by five points in a grand final, it might as well be by one of the greatest outfits in the history of sport,” he said.

“When I look at how proud I am of our organisation, I also look with great affection at the West Coast Eagles and know that they do things really well.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back