Insightful Media Coverage

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

The best part about Hutchings is he's a 'fair' tagger. He doesn't belt you in the arm every second behind the play, or stick a knuckle in your back at a stoppage or step on the back of your footy boots etc. He just sticks to his man like glue, puts the arm across when he needs too and keeps the player shut down so well. Nothing like a Crowley, Greenwood or even De Boer of this year who are scraggers and nigglers (at best) who walk the fine of sportsmanship that a tagger is generally known for. There's a reason why Hutchs opponents don't whack him off the ball, and have a friendly chat with him after the game

Hutch spends his whole week prepping for opponents, watches which way they turn, how often they handball, where they go around the stoppage etc and just shuts those damaging aspects of their game down. I really love how he goes about, it's how taggers should be I reckon.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Hutchings as an offensive midfielder is vanilla. That’s where the criticism came into it.

He’s reinvented himself into a tagger and an integral part of the team, but if he’s not tagging he’s not good enough as a mid to hold his spot IMO

/can of worms

Simmo said as much in a recent interview...

Something like Hutch told Simmo he wanted to be play as a midfielder and Simmo said that would only happen if he became or tagger, as we already had enough midfielders better than him.

So hats off to Hutch for taking the challenge, and to Simmo for handing it to him.

Simmo said as much in a recent interview...

Something like Hutch told Simmo he wanted to be play as a midfielder and Simmo said that would only happen if he became or tagger, as we already had enough midfielders better than him.

So hats off to Hutch for taking the challenge, and to Simmo for handing it to him.
It’s been one of the keys of our climb to the top of the heap - recognising players limitations and then setting them roles that capitalise on their strengths

So Hutchings gets a job as a tagger that takes advantage of his fitness, strength and ability to concentrate. Masten is given the task of running to shut down space when the opposition has the ball and to create it when we do

Younger players like Cole, Duggan and Venables are given specific tasks. Rotham comes in and doesn’t have his debut game complicated but is given a manageable role to focus on

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s been one of the keys of our climb to the top of the heap - recognising players limitations and then setting them roles that capitalise on their strengths

So Hutchings gets a job as a tagger that takes advantage of his fitness, strength and ability to concentrate. Masten is given the task of running to shut down space when the opposition has the ball and to create it when we do

Younger players like Cole, Duggan and Venables are given specific tasks. Rotham comes in and doesn’t have his debut game complicated but is given a manageable role to focus on

I like this post very much. It makes me happy, enhances my immunity, cleans my digestive tract and detoxifies my blood.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Watson on talking footy was asked if Richmond’s have the best defender in the league in grimes. Watson says west coast have 2 better defenders in McGovern and Hurn. Good to get some recognition.
was he asked shut down? cause i saw an article asking if Grimes is the best shut down defender? IMO there's so many better defenders than Grimes in the comp.

It's funny how people asking this of Grimes after a handful of games but a bloke like Mackenzie after so many seasons never got a high rap over east.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Coincidence that as soon as Priddis retires our midfield actually looked good.

Was holding us back for 2-3 years.
I think Mitchell's influence in the coaching box is understated. Made our Midfield not reliant on a couple players and made sure every made was versatile. All our mids these days have an impact inside and outside. Gaff, Redden and Sheed are the most noticeable in that regards.

I love Emac but him going out has improved our defence as well. We're not going in as tall but our foot skills have improved and now our worst kick in Gov is actually a pretty decent kick as well (reckon he goes for the hail mary type kicks too often).

Grimes was AA squad last year, he can seriously play. It’s his lock down ability that allowed Rance to swashbuckle his way into the hearts and minds of AA selectors again with his roguish charm and theatrical acrobatics.

LOL swashbuckle!

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Watson on talking footy was asked if Richmond’s have the best defender in the league in grimes. Watson says west coast have 2 better defenders in McGovern and Hurn. Good to get some recognition.
* yeah Barrass

Wait

wtf2.gif

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting article about Sheed spending more time at half forward.

Surely given his performances the rotations can be amended to allow him more midfield time

Redden, Yeo, Shuey and Sheed all have the ability to spell forward. Why is it Sheed copping the majority.

The benefit of course of this 4 all playing forward is it provides them with some spell from the midfield whilst staying on field (which will be important when NN comes back).

I appreciate they'd need to learn to not get in the way of the forwards

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting article about Sheed spending more time at half forward.

Surely given his performances the rotations can be amended to allow him more midfield time

Redden, Yeo, Shuey and Sheed all have the ability to spell forward. Why is it Sheed copping the majority.

The benefit of course of this 4 all playing forward is it provides them with some spell from the midfield whilst staying on field (which will be important when NN comes back).

I appreciate they'd need to learn to not get in the way of the forwards
I remember Simmo saying last year that we have moved away from playing midfielders as forwards and will benefit from playing actual forwards there.

We’re now playing an extra mid from what we played in the GF and someone was always going to suffer. Unfortunately it is Sheed. Need to drop a midfielder for a forward imo

I remember Simmo saying last year that we have moved away from playing midfielders as forwards and will benefit from playing actual forwards there.

We’re now playing an extra mid from what we played in the GF and someone was always going to suffer. Unfortunately it is Sheed. Need to drop a midfielder for a forward imo

There is a natural balance of talent though

Sheed is demonstrably best 22 talent.

The 4 I mentioned all have the ability to play forward (it's why i didn't mention Masten or Gaff)

Not to mention we need flexibility in the event of injury mid game

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth

I am sure we will when Rioli is back but his injury has thrown our balance out of whack. It will then come down to which mid to drop, with Masten probably being under the most pressure given age and role etc. But not sure who plays that forward role now. Would be good to see Cameron in maybe, but he is pretty green and probably not ready (although if it is wet this game, could be an option). DV has just been dropped so can't see him being brought back in and making things better.

In the words of Molly Meldrum, do yourself a favour and listen to this

Touches on a whole range of issues and some great insights from Schoey into the workings of the club

I've been really enjoying this new podcast, it's got a bit more of a serious tone and is more 'technical' than the Backchat podcast which is more light hearted in comparison.

Both podcasts are well worth listening to (including the Bigfooy one as well of course ;))

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I don’t see why we couldn’t move gaff back to more outside like his OG role.

Maybe everyone just plays a little less “on ball”

Otherwise I’d say Shuey would be the most dangerous forward and could possibly move to that Benny Cuz hff

Back