Insightful Media Coverage

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

Dad's Army - 11 fathers to take the field tomorrow night
Two really good articles that speak volumes about the impact Simmo has had on the culture of this side.
“One thing I noticed is that after the games, win, lose, or draw you see all the kids running around in the change rooms, sometimes coming into meetings. “When we lose you don’t even think about footy. You see the kids having fun, so you zone right off and you go and have fun with the kids.” Rioli says the family environment helped everyone feel at ease. “For me, anything to do with caring for another person or anything to do with family is special,” Rioli said.
“There’s a lot of players with kids that will grow up with each other. “It’s a real family feeling around the club. This club is where I want my son to grow up and be around.

To hear that from a player who grew up in the Tiwi Islands and Darwin in such a strong football community and close knit family says plenty.

Last edited:

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Riewoldt also took aim at comments made by young defender Tom Barrass earlier in the year, where he admitted he was “a bit directless” after the Grand Final victory.

“Tom, I hope you found your direction because this time last year the West Coast Eagles cranked it up and managed to go on and win a premiership,” Riewoldt said.

Sums up Barrass, feel he became too cocky post win.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Riewoldt also took aim at comments made by young defender Tom Barrass earlier in the year, where he admitted he was “a bit directless” after the Grand Final victory.

“Tom, I hope you found your direction because this time last year the West Coast Eagles cranked it up and managed to go on and win a premiership,” Riewoldt said.

Was that a Riewoldt of the St Kilda type, who didn't win an AFL premiership so he's in no position to judge?

arfadunger

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I don't think Barrass became too cocky. I found the section in the podcast by Barrass was really interesting. He was just trying to explain (in what I thought was a very honest way) how he was feeling and the challenges in getting motivated after climbing to the top of the mountain. I think that people quoting a small portion of what he is said is really unfair (Robbo did it earlier this year too). I would recommend anyone who hasn't heard it to have a listen to the whole thing.

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think Barrass became too cocky. I found the section in the podcast by Barrass was really interesting. He was just trying to explain (in what I thought was a very honest way) how he was feeling and the challenges in getting motivated after climbing to the top of the mountain. I think that people quoting a small portion of what he is said is really unfair (Robbo did it earlier this year too). I would recommend anyone who hasn't heard it to have a listen to the whole thing.
Even as a supporter, early in the year when we lost games I was “meh, we are still the premiers”. Losing didn’t bother me as much as it would have before the premiership.

I imagine it would be easy for the players to feel the same.

Fast forward to the last round when we lost to Hawthorn however and I was ******* fuming! Hopefully the players also feel this way!

Spot on. The other thing is people complain that athletes are too managed and everything is so media trained and PR these days. Cliched answers, never any insight.

Somebody opens up about their winning a Premiership not changing their entire world view like they'd thought it would, out come the knockers. Don't see why anybody would bother opening up or speaking candidly if that's the result.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Spot on. The other thing is people complain that athletes are too managed and everything is so media trained and PR these days. Cliched answers, never any insight.

Somebody opens up about their winning a Premiership not changing their entire world view like they'd thought it would, out come the knockers. Don't see why anybody would bother opening up or speaking candidly if that's the result.

And let's face it, everyone imagines what it'd be like but few experience it. Even Barrass said it was completely different to what he expected. So the fact the one guy who has his noise out of joint is also a Grand Final choker who is no more enlightened than the rest of us as to how winning one feels speaks volumes.

If Reiwoldt actually won a flag I'd give his comments some weight. Maybe.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Two really good articles that speak volumes about the impact Simmo has had on the culture of this side.
“One thing I noticed is that after the games, win, lose, or draw you see all the kids running around in the change rooms, sometimes coming into meetings. “When we lose you don’t even think about footy. You see the kids having fun, so you zone right off and you go and have fun with the kids.” Rioli says the family environment helped everyone feel at ease. “For me, anything to do with caring for another person or anything to do with family is special,” Rioli said.
“There’s a lot of players with kids that will grow up with each other. “It’s a real family feeling around the club. This club is where I want my son to grow up and be around.

To hear that from a player who grew up in the Tiwi Islands and Darwin in such a strong football community and close knit family says plenty.
Probably another big reason Kelly has his sights set on WCE as preferred destination. I am sure players talk and this would be a bit of a known theme about west Coast.

AP24

Debutant
Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

I really rate Nick Riewoldt as a media performer, but his comments were deadset rubbish. It was pretty clear that Barrass was making a point that your identity as a footballer is determined by winning premierships, so when you actually achieve what your whole life has been building up to, there is an obvious sensation of "what next?".

I highly doubt Riewoldt listened to the podcast, or even the 5 minute chat where Schofield and Butler both concurred - one as an "experienced" premiership player and one as a "young" premiership player.

It was a real missed opportunity to actually discuss the mental side of the game from a success perspective, and unfortunately for Roo he took the easy way out to give TB a serve.

Barass is one of the more intelligent and thoughtful footballers going around as well, so he likely chose his words wisely. But again, Roo doesn't know TB so he would have just heard another young player talking about a lack of motivation, which wasn't the case at all

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

Everyone is on board the Willie bandwagon.
Would love to see us start a centre bounce with NN, Willie, Yeo & Shuey. Their combined ability to run it out of the centre is next level.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
“I reckon he’s (Rioli) the best field kick in the AFL and both Adelaide and Port Adelaide could have had him".

Disagree with this bit. I think Jetta has Rioli covered in this area of the game. You just cant beat 50m passes that land on the tit of a West Coast player standing in the middle of 3 opposition players.

However I think Rioli has the best footy nous in the AFL going around. Its almost unfair the amount of times he'll approach a contested ball on the run and then flick it blindly over his head to an unmarked teammate streaming up a wing/ through the middle. If I were an opposition supporter it would sh*t me to tears.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Everyone is on board the Willie bandwagon.
Would love to see us start a centre bounce with NN, Willie, Yeo & Shuey. Their combined ability to run it out of the centre is next level.

For all the boo hooey over missing Worpel and not grabbing Kelly despite him coming off the board before anyone expected him to, we absolutely nailed the Rioli pick. Pick 52 is a lottery. Value for money he's miles in front of Kelly for mine.

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
For all the boo hooey over missing Worpel and not grabbing Kelly despite him coming off the board before anyone expected him to, we absolutely nailed the Rioli pick. Pick 52 is a lottery. Value for money he's miles in front of Kelly for mine.

Different draft years.

Rioli was in 2016.

Kelly and Worpel 2017.

Still I completely agree Rioli was an amazing pick up in that draft pool.

Still over a two year period

Venables
Rotham
Rioli
Waterman

Brander
Allen
Ryan
Petruccelle
Ainsworth
Brayshaw

There’s some pretty good talent in those picks.

Allen, Rioli and Ryan alone would have you thanking your lucky stars but to add Waterman, Rotham, Venables, Petruccelle and Brander as well? Wow wee.

Now let’s see if Ainsworth and Brayshaw can make it but overall we killed it.

Last edited:

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Different draft years.

Rioli was in 2016.

Kelly and Worpel 2017.

Venables
Rotham
Rioli
Waterman

Brander
Allen
Ryan
Petruccelle
Ainsworth
Brayshaw

There’s some pretty good talent in those picks

I didn't mean to infer it was the same draft though I get your point the talent available at 52 one year isn't always equal to the next. In any rate I'd say both the success rate and quality of player taken at 52 wouldn't look that great and we stole Rioli in a big way.

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
I didn't mean to infer it was the same draft though I get your point the talent available at 52 one year isn't always equal to the next. In any rate I'd say both the success rate and quality of player taken at 52 wouldn't look that great and we stole Rioli in a big way.

Completely agree.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Different draft years.

Rioli was in 2016.

Kelly and Worpel 2017.

Venables
Rotham
Rioli
Waterman

Brander
Allen
Ryan
Petruccelle
Ainsworth
Brayshaw

There’s some pretty good talent in those picks.

Allen, Rioli and Ryan alone would have you thanking your lucky stars but to add Waterman, Rotham, Venables, Petruccelle and Brander as well? Wow wee.

Now let’s see if Ainsworth and Brayshaw can make it but overall we killed it.

Venables will be a good player with two more pre seasons and some more strength in his frame.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

I remember reading a similar interview with Damien Martyn later on in his career. He said after being picked to play for Australia in Test match cricket at 21 and playing the West Indies (who were still the no.1 side in the world at the time) he felt he had reached the pinnacle of the sport and achieved all he had set to do.

It wasn’t until later on his life - after he had been dropped and fought his way back into the Test team - that he appreciated the hard work it took to be re-selected and make Test centuries and win World Cups.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The Age:

1567760791801.png

Indeed I have seen Dom Sheed kicking that goal everytime I turn on the TV too.

Back