Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Concur - one in to tackle - any more in just results in a scrum. Penalize the 3rd on in.
Agree with the sentiment but I don't care how many are involved if they are actually tackling the one with the ball. The issue is the extras who, as noted, aren't tackling anyone with the ball but piling on the tackler, or the tackler of the tackler...

Agree with the sentiment but I don't care how many are involved if they are actually tackling the one with the ball. The issue is the extras who, as noted, aren't tackling anyone with the ball but piling on the tackler, or the tackler of the tackler...
Yes but it is easier for the umpire to recognise a good tackle, prior opportunity or correct disposal if it is one on one. It would also speed up the game. If a third man comes in then, invariably, it will be a bounce down as the carrier will have little chance to dispose of the ball. This means a pack forms for the contest thus congesting and slowing down the game.

Yes but it is easier for the umpire to recognise a good tackle, prior opportunity or correct disposal if it is one on one. It would also speed up the game. If a third man comes in then, invariably, it will be a bounce down as the carrier will have little chance to dispose of the ball. This means a pack forms for the contest thus congesting and slowing down the game.
It's an ugly or scrappy part of the game. As is the score review process, so tedious, replay after replay from every angle. I know it adds some accuracy in front of the sticks, and some tension or nail-biting excitement but it's a blight on the flow of the game and the flow of vision.
I'm all for removing the touched ball from the game - if a ball goes through the sticks anyway possible, it's a score, touching is irrelevant. Yes I hear the groans of disapproval..and parts of it would need tidying up. (and yes, I think we've officially bottomed out in the down-curve of the offseason regarding threads and posts and things to talk about!!?)

It's an ugly or scrappy part of the game. As is the score review process, so tedious, replay after replay from every angle. I know it adds some accuracy in front of the sticks, and some tension or nail-biting excitement but it's a blight on the flow of the game and the flow of vision.
I'm all for removing the touched ball from the game - if a ball goes through the sticks anyway possible, it's a score, touching is irrelevant. Yes I hear the groans of disapproval..and parts of it would need tidying up. (and yes, I think we've officially bottomed out in the down-curve of the offseason regarding threads and posts and things to talk about!!?)
Just imagine how much harder defenders would try keep the ball away from the goal line if the ball crossing the goal line resulted in a goal.
Whether it touches the post, is spoiled in a marking contest, punched through it is a goal. Or point depending on what side of the post it goes through.

If it doesn't go through then play on.

It would be a big change and a fair bit to get used to but it is at least worth a discussion.

Hey Eagles fans. I hope it's ok I post in here.

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing West Coast this time.

From the 20.48min mark, we talk about the year the Eagles had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 15mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 30 - 2021 – Club Reviews – Sydney Swans & West Coast Eagles
Recorded on the 6th January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

WEST COAST @ 20.48
- Win or loss dictated on playing in WA
- Allen & Waterman take big steps forward & NicNat back to his best
- Quality midfield, but lacks depth & grunt
- Duggan, Ryan & Sheppard have career best years
- Kelly & Sheed underperform & interchange hard to pick
- Can Eagle snare Cripps after Josh Kennedy & Hurn retire?

FWIW, the HS has released who has the easiest draw for this year.

Champion data have posted next year's draw by the hardest to the easiest.

Champion Data 2021 draw difficulty ladder
1 = Hardest, 18 = Easiest, Double-up matches in brackets
1. St Kilda (Geel, PA, Rich, WC, Syd)
2. Adelaide Crows (PA, WC, Melb, Haw, NM)
3. Collingwood (PA, Bris, WC, Coll, Ess)
4. Brisbane Lions (Geel, Rich, Coll, Fre, GC)
5. Carlton (PA, Coll, GWS, Fre, GC)
6. Richmond (Geel, Bris, StK, GWS, Haw)
7. Geelong Cats (Rich, Bris, StK, Mel, NM)
8. Western Bulldogs (PA, WC, Melb, GC, NM)
9. Fremantle (Bris, WC, Car, Syd, Haw)
10. North Melbourne (Geel, WB, GC, Ess, Ade)
11. Sydney Swans (StK, GWS, Fre, GC, Ess)
12. GWS Giants (Rich, Melb, Car, Syd, Ess)
13. Gold Coast Suns (Bris, WB, Car, Syd, Ess)
14. Hawthorn (Rich, Melb, Fre, Ess, Ade)
15. West Coast Eagles (StK, Coll, WB, Fre, Ade)
16. Melbourne (Geel, WB, GWS, Haw, Ade)
17. Essendon (Coll, GWS, Syd, Haw, NM)
18. Port Adelaide (StK, Coll, WB, Car, Ade)

FWIW, the HS has released who has the easiest draw for this year.

Champion data have posted next year's draw by the hardest to the easiest.

Champion Data 2021 draw difficulty ladder
1 = Hardest, 18 = Easiest, Double-up matches in brackets
1. St Kilda (Geel, PA, Rich, WC, Syd)
2. Adelaide Crows (PA, WC, Melb, Haw, NM)
3. Collingwood (PA, Bris, WC, Coll, Ess)
4. Brisbane Lions (Geel, Rich, Coll, Fre, GC)
5. Carlton (PA, Coll, GWS, Fre, GC)
6. Richmond (Geel, Bris, StK, GWS, Haw)
7. Geelong Cats (Rich, Bris, StK, Mel, NM)
8. Western Bulldogs (PA, WC, Melb, GC, NM)
9. Fremantle (Bris, WC, Car, Syd, Haw)
10. North Melbourne (Geel, WB, GC, Ess, Ade)
11. Sydney Swans (StK, GWS, Fre, GC, Ess)
12. GWS Giants (Rich, Melb, Car, Syd, Ess)
13. Gold Coast Suns (Bris, WB, Car, Syd, Ess)
14. Hawthorn (Rich, Melb, Fre, Ess, Ade)
15. West Coast Eagles (StK, Coll, WB, Fre, Ade)
16. Melbourne (Geel, WB, GWS, Haw, Ade)
17. Essendon (Coll, GWS, Syd, Haw, NM)
18. Port Adelaide (StK, Coll, WB, Car, Ade)
Those things are always contentious, but anyway you look at it, St Kilda has been done over. Collingwood appears to have a pretty hard draw too. Losing that one point final against them looks like it has lead to a nice silver lining with the draw.

Port Adelaide with the easiest draw. Good to see the system works and the AFL looks out for the teams who finish *checks notes* uhh first?

Hard to avoid them getting a draw easier than it is harder with the way the Crows are going and needing to play them twice. The rest of the teams could go either way when it comes to being bad or good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witho was recruited on the 12th of November and the club has had made no effort to do an official interview. Like I'd say he'd be first priority over our late and rookie draftees and they've all faced the media.

Most clubs recruit a new player and one of the first processes they do it get them to face the media.

Gotta say I like what Bradshaw is saying
At the end of the day, an AFL coach is an employee and a termination by notice provision is entirely normal. The AFL is saying to these clubs "we fund you and so we don't want to see you in a situation where you need to pay out a multi year contract to get rid of an underperforming coach". They are entitled to say that. Of course, it then hamstrings the clubs somewhat in choosing a coach because the better coaches can command longer fixed terms and won't agree to 6 month notice provisions.

Give Dylan Buckleys podcast with Clarko a listen.

Sheds light on the 2015 finals , talks about how everyone thought they were not a chance to win the 2015 flag after being pumped in the QF to us and it spurred them on...no surprise they came out firing and we were happy to just be there.
I don't know about that.
From what I remember, the Hawks were firm favourites with the bookies.

I don't know if were happy to be there, we just got stage fright and were beaten by a good side on their home deck IMO.

I don't know about that.
From what I remember, the Hawks were firm favourites with the bookies.

I don't know if were happy to be there, we just got stage fright and were beaten by a good side on their home deck IMO.
I agree with this, I don't recall anyone making us outright favourites. Hawks had just beaten top of the ladder Freo (lol) at Home in a prelim. First time anyone had beaten a WA team in a prelim at home (lol). It is probably an internal message Clarko used to fire them up.

Hawks jumped us hard and their GF experience was very telling early. Eagles actually had a number of scoring shots (Quarter time was 5.0 to 1.5), but were spooked by the occassion and couldn't stay with them. It felt very similar to 2018, only that time our senior players had the previous experience under the belt and managed to keep things together.

Clarko probably referring to them being written off directly after the 2015QF as it meant to make the GF they’d have to beat Freo in WA after being comprehensively beaten by us

That would be a fair assessment

Clarko probably referring to them being written off directly after the 2015QF as it meant to make the GF they’d have to beat Freo in WA after being comprehensively beaten by us

That would be a fair assessment

He circled a fair bit of it around Hop Hog Hodgey too, thinking it was too much off field and playing group distraction and was shocked at how it galvanized the group.

I think the Tigers pinched a lesson from that book in 2020.

He circled a fair bit of it around Hop Hog Hodgey too, thinking it was too much off field and playing group distraction and was shocked at how it galvanized the group.

I think the Tigers pinched a lesson from that book in 2020.
Funny how that worked for us with Nic Nat and Gaff in 2018 as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back