Inspirational Anna Meares

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be happy if our players followed her example on Saturday night. Yes, she came tenth, but that was after giving absolutely everything she had. A team of players with her attitude and commitment would make us all proud, win or lose.

The Ambassador had a little girl the other day and is heading home with new baby.

Just add a touch of silver and teal to that top.

Good on ya Flyger, I do his tax. He also took over my deceased Bro-inlaw role coaching the track team, good guy.
walsh left a legacy for the current crew,

if gary West the deceased if the 2 degrees, #Respect.

in the best sense: those guys(track cyclists) are mad as cut snakes, of a mad sport subculture crew. They must me sadomasochists from the russian(soviet) design, they throw the box of eggs at the brick facade, and those that survive grow stronger and faster.

my fave: jacky bobbie. I hope Gerry rakes good care of him.

walsh left a legacy for the current crew,

if gary West the deceased if the 2 degrees, #Respect.

in the best sense: those guys(track cyclists) are mad as cut snakes, of a mad sport subculture crew. They must me sadomasochists from the russian(soviet) design, they throw the box of eggs at the brick facade, and those that survive grow stronger and faster.

my fave: jacky bobbie. I hope Gerry rakes good care of him.

Yeah it was Gary, MND took him down, he had the fastef form 18 months done, Neil Danniher has been lucky TBH. HE left a legacy in the cycling community and is missed daily by his family.

Hey he had a good 56 years compared to those young kids in Sydney bulldosed down by a drunk wanka!

Anyone watch Anna on Anh Do's show on Tuesday night?

Went from laughing and joy, to tears and back and forth all program. She teared up several time, Ahn teared up several times and I did when she talked about her late coach Gary West who lost his battle with MND.

Anh asked her if her career was all worth it and she said after Rio for a couple of years she said no due to all the pain - physical, emotional with marriage break and the death of Gary. But then said she has put it into perspective and now says yes. Filled up her post career void by becoming a foster mum, talks about an organisation she got involved with in SA needing to regularly find home for 600 kids a night. Didn't say it on the show (might have been filmed last year) but became a mum earlier this year, per the tweet in an above post.

I reckon the painting looks a bit more like her sister Kerry than Anna.

Last edited:

Went from laughing and joy, to tears and back and forth all program. She teared up several time, Ahn teared up several times and I did when she talked about her late coach Gary West who lost his battle with MND.

Anh asked her if her career was all worth it and she said after Rio for a couple of years she said no due to all the pain - physical, emotional with marriage break and the death of Gary. But then said she has put it into perspective and now says yes. Filled up her post career void by becoming a foster mum, talks about an organisation she got involved with in SA needing to regularly find home for 600 kids a night. Didn't say it on the show (might have been filmed last year) but became a mum earlier this year, per the tweet in an above post.

Surprisingly I never saw Anh Do moving his career this way but he's actually looking like he could be our Parkinson. He has that right mix of humour and timing to be able to get people to tell their stories in an interesting way where it involves everyone.

Brilliant show, how's her parents driving 300km to the nearest cycling track every weekend for 2 years ! Amazing dedication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly I never saw Anh Do moving his career this way but he's actually looking like he could be our Parkinson. He has that right mix of humour and timing to be able to get people to tell their stories in an interesting way where it involves everyone.
I saw him a lot on TV, the NRL footy show and a couple of other Sydney TV programs and heard him a lot on radio when I lived in Sydney and he was very good at using his smile, his humour and over all personality to charm his way with others on those programs.

Being a boat person refugee from Vietnam to Malaysia when he was 2 or 3, almost killed on that trip, then growing up in the sticks of western Sydney, wanting to play rugby league despite his small frame and parents fear for him, gave him a good grounding to understand people's stories and struggles.

When you write your life story and title it The Happiest Refugee - My story from tragedy to comedy, you know the bloke can connect with people and isn't bitter about a tough start to life.

Brilliant show, how's her parents driving 300km to the nearest cycling track every weekend for 2 years ! Amazing dedication.
Then moving the family to Rockie and opening up a chicken shop - 365 days a year inc Christmas day (sold 1,000 chooks) to help fund the 2 girls to participate in the sport. And then the sisters having to battle each other for the one Olympic spot. Mum and dad were tough.

I'm glad she is an ambassador for our club and does stuff with our players and our community programs.

Last edited:
I read Anna's biography earlier this year. Brilliant story.

A superstar of Australian sport who has never really received her due recognition.

Anna recalled how she won Olympic gold and bronze in 2004 on $100 a week from the AIS while working as a bank teller and night shift work at the canteens for soccer matches at Hindmarsh and hockey matches at Gepps Cross.

Anna broke her neck in Los Angeles just 7 months before the Beijing Olympics and still won silver. She was 2mm away from being a quadriplegic. When they brought her to the hospital, she wasn't admitted until her manager showed them a credit card.

Dedication, some have it.

Anna is a champion and her life is an inspiration.

My favourite all time Olympic moment is Anna's sprint gold medal in London. Move aside Cathy, alright Cathy's was pretty special but I still rate Anna's higher. To plan, practice and execute to perfection that win against Victoria Pendelton, who not only had the wood on Anna but was at her home Olympics is as inspirational and gutsy as it gets. Proud to have her aligned with our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back