Rules Interchange infringement wins Sydney the game

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So North are told they have one interchange left, but two come off at once - one because he is cramping, the other seemingly a regular interchange.

Am I missing something, but why didn't North interchange the cramping player and tell the other bloke to stay on the ground?

I think if was Shiels? Who desperately needed to come off was cramping badly or had a injury of some sort.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not reading the whole thread, so apologies I'd already mentioned, but wasn't there a Nth Swans game about ten years ago when one team had 19 on the field?

Yep, though more than 10 years ago as it was around 2008 I think, where Jesse White somehow wandered onto the field and started playing.

It is actually why the official interchange procedure came into effect as the AFL brought in some new rules to prevent 19 players being on the field again.

Not reading the whole thread, so apologies I'd already mentioned, but wasn't there a Nth Swans game about ten years ago when one team had 19 on the field?
If that happens in local football and the player count reveals an extra player on the field, you get your entire score wiped.

This was a clear mistake by the AFL and its interchange steward.

Replacing injured players does NOT count towards the cap of 75.

North Melbourne had made 74 interchanges when 2 players approached the bench - one fit player who was replaced as the 75th interchange, and one player who is clearly incapacitated and unable to return to the game - he is allowed to be replaced as an injured player as it does not count against the cap.

I have no doubt though that this will be swept under the rug just like every other AFL controversy (eg Hawthorn racism).
Cramp is not considered an injury. Try again.

It’s clear from the footage, it was just bad luck/timing. Phillips was scheduled to be our last interchange. Unfortunately, Shiels cramped up and hobbled off at the exact same time as Phillips. In the mayhem, another player ran on. When it rains, it pours. We have to wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
I've just read section 7 of the laws of the game to work out what should happen and the issue is this: it literally just says the interchange warden should notify the AFL, not what the response should be.
View attachment 1692094
Honest question: is there any precedent for a free kick and 50 metre penalty being paid for this kind of infringement?

It just seems like the umpires decided they could make a penalty on the spot?

Under the new umpire common sense rule invented last year

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Was great! As was the end result, along with the Hawks supporters taking this result harder than the Roos supporters.
I don't think Hawk supporters need be too upset. From what I saw yesterday North will win a few games in the back half of the season (Just hope it's not against us). Everyone's saying how s**t Sydney are but I think a bit of credit goes to North. There were some good signs.

Goes and washes mouth out

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Footage from the bench

Surprised nobody has not picked up on this. The reporter here says the interchange steward tells clubs when they have 10,5 and 1 change remaining.

He then says the steward couldn't tell North they had one left as they used two at once... Wrong? They were already on 74 with one remaining...

Which now begs the question, did the steward do his job per the AFL rules and notify North? If not then how can the resulting free remain valid?

Or the reporter is a numbskull.

Sydney played in a controversial draw against North Melbourne at Telstra Dome in round 6 2008; it was later revealed that Sydney had nineteen men on the field for a brief period of play before, during and after the behind that tied the scores was scored.[13] As a direct consequence of this, the league amended the interchange laws in round 9, appointing interchange stewards to police the players and to signal to the field umpires if an infringement has occurred. Any infringement now results in a free kick being awarded.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, though more than 10 years ago as it was around 2008 I think, where Jesse White somehow wandered onto the field and started playing.

It is actually why the official interchange procedure came into effect as the AFL brought in some new rules to prevent 19 players being on the field again.
Having Jesse White out there would’ve been a disadvantage for the Swans if anything.

flojo

All Australian
Jul 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah we f’d up but the bigger issue is why’s it taking them over 30 seconds to tell the umpires… which just so happens to be on their goal line now.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
This was a clear mistake by the AFL and its interchange steward.

Replacing injured players does NOT count towards the cap of 75.

North Melbourne had made 74 interchanges when 2 players approached the bench - one fit player who was replaced as the 75th interchange, and one player who is clearly incapacitated and unable to return to the game - he is allowed to be replaced as an injured player as it does not count against the cap.

I have no doubt though that this will be swept under the rug just like every other AFL controversy (eg Hawthorn racism).
What about the 77th interchange a minute later?

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah we f’d up but the bigger issue is why’s it taking them over 30 seconds to tell the umpires… which just so happens to be on their goal line now.
It was called at the next stoppage, which I believe is when they are told to call it (could be wrong). Other than for about 5 seconds when the ball was kicked to about 70m out, the last 50 seconds leading up to the free were played in North's defensive 50 so the free kick was always going to be taken on the goal line. It's not a conspiracy.

Back