Opinion Interchange Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been wondering if the interchange system needs a bigger replacement to help facilitate tactical needs during games, expose more players, and decrease the clutter of runners.

I'm thinking we just drop the interchange cap, increase to 5 on the bench, make interchanges only allowed after goals.

This gets rid of the runner during normal play, allows the coach to have a sizeable crew to enact shifts in tactics as he can communicate with them during the sideline stint, and adds one more player to game day which can only be a good thing.

Cap wont really matter, you are limited to 5 changed a goal, which in a 30 goal match might mean 150 changes, but its totally game dependant, and never detracts from the on field play.

It might encourage more goals, as players would tire the longer the game went without a goal.

You could allow injury or suspected injury replacements by putting a 5-10 min rule on the player, meaning they could not come back on for 5-10 mins after seeking treatment.

If we ditched runners altogether we would need a number card system I'd imagine, to let players know they were coming off.

Anyway, fire away fellas. I can take a hit.

Anyway, fire away fellas. I can take a hit.

VFvDFTLc1T_lTrAqSjheCS5OfbrYpChOf7cFnKEPaCrRK4K4ElgAOEZeA3UQQTclR8i2DE-6SUpAbwQH1Q6_1gNozfCIuUPuD_m1mltxslobF_kC9XiSkGwwufj3wubn=w500-h273-nc

Listening to KB talk about interchange every single day has my brain fried on the subject mate.

VFvDFTLc1T_lTrAqSjheCS5OfbrYpChOf7cFnKEPaCrRK4K4ElgAOEZeA3UQQTclR8i2DE-6SUpAbwQH1Q6_1gNozfCIuUPuD_m1mltxslobF_kC9XiSkGwwufj3wubn=w500-h273-nc

Listening to KB talk about interchange every single day has my brain fried on the subject mate.

listening to all the muppets, one moment they want to leave the game alone, then next minute they want to change rules to fix problems....

here's an idea. lets just keave the game alone, at keast for a few years.

listening to all the muppets, one moment they want to leave the game alone, then next minute they want to change rules to fix problems....

Spot on. I hate the fact that media demands a rule change every week - interchange, zones, no runners, red cards have all come up in the last month.

The game will evolve, just leave it alone. By demanding changes and having the AFL follow through with many of them out of the belief that it is what the public wants, we are making the game worse and turning away fans.

I'd cut the interchanges to 60.

That way you wouldn't get a forward coming off after he kicks a goal
Yeah I still don't know exactly why they do that. I almost think its like subliminal reward psychology. But if so, that might also mean that it encourages people to think having a spell is a good thing, and that being on the ground isn't.

Why is it an issue that a forward comes off after he kicks a goal, it happens every now and then and would just be a part of rotations.

Just because it gets highlighted by commentators doesn't make it a problem with the game.

Spot on. I hate the fact that media demands a rule change every week - interchange, zones, no runners, red cards have all come up in the last month.

The game will evolve, just leave it alone. By demanding changes and having the AFL follow through with many of them out of the belief that it is what the public wants, we are making the game worse and turning away fans.

Yeah I can understand the opinions about rule changes. I personally have problems with the on field rule changes that need umpire deliberation, and the constantly changing face of interpretation.

I'm more keen to get feedback about this suggestion, rather than the concept of 'leave all rules alone'.

For instance, I wonder if an issue might be late in a match, would the opposition purposely not goal so that they could keep your bench off? But that's probably not going to happen. What other unintended effects would there be...

Why is it an issue that a forward comes off after he kicks a goal, it happens every now and then and would just be a part of rotations.

Just because it gets highlighted by commentators doesn't make it a problem with the game.
It goes beyond commentators though, I don't think any of us had to have commentators mention it to have not noticed it before. Are you saying you don't actually think its a thing?

When it happens that often - you don't need it highlighted.

If I was a player I'd pass it off.

Runner wouldn't have been used to get a player off in the last five years. They come off when they feel they need to (and when it's a suitable time).

Exactly. I don't know why SEN keep him on. He is living back in the 1960's when we had 19th and 20th men and the game was far slower, the skills were nowhere near as good as they are (apart from the use of the drop kick by a fer players) and, at the risk of upsetting a few here, nowhere near as good as the game today.

KB hates the thought that if he played in today's era, he would actually have to spend some time on the bench.

I do not see any value in having players exhausted by the end of each quarter and especially exhausted by the last quarter. The game will slow down to pedestrian pace, more and more errors creep in and the more talented sides would win by even greater margins.

Some moron came on this morning and complained about the fact that his 10 year old doesn't want to go to the football anymore because it is so boring. This happened at the Geelong Freo game and according to this moron, there was only a few interesting minutes during the game and most of the crowd weren't watching but instead chatting among themselves. Why, because some 10 year old, doesn't like the game today??? Really???

Of course that was manna from heaven for KB and that even greater moron, John Ralph. They were positively salivating at the content of that call.

I switched off at that stage. I'd rather listen to "Frank Walker from National Tiles" than their rubbish.

Exactly. I don't know why SEN keep him on. He is living back in the 1960's when we had 19th and 20th men and the game was far slower, the skills were nowhere near as good as they are (apart from the use of the drop kick by a fer players) and, at the risk of upsetting a few here, nowhere near as good as the game today.

KB hates the thought that if he played in today's era, he would actually have to spend some time on the bench.

I do not see any value in having players exhausted by the end of each quarter and especially exhausted by the last quarter. The game will slow down to pedestrian pace, more and more errors creep in and the more talented sides would win by even greater margins.

Some moron came on this morning and complained about the fact that his 10 year old doesn't want to go to the football anymore because it is so boring. This happened at the Geelong Freo game and according to this moron, there was only a few interesting minutes during the game and most of the crowd weren't watching but instead chatting among themselves. Why, because some 10 year old, doesn't like the game today??? Really???

Of course that was manna from heaven for KB and that even greater moron, John Ralph. They were positively salivating at the content of that call.

I switched off at that stage. I'd rather listen to "Frank Walker from National Tiles" than their rubbish.

i switched off at exactly the same time.....
they are 2 peas, in one dumb pod!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes beyond commentators though, I don't think any of us had to have commentators mention it to have not noticed it before. Are you saying you don't actually think its a thing?
No, I don't think it's a thing.

Watch Friday nights game and count the amount of time a player comes off the ground after kicking a goal compared to not coming off. I'd say 9/10 stay on the ground.

No, I don't think it's a thing.

Watch Friday nights game and count the amount of time a player comes off the ground after kicking a goal compared to not coming off. I'd say 9/10 stay on the ground.
Could be right, considering that its a lot more likely to have a player televised after kicking a goal - so while its just a standard rotation, goal kickers are more likely to have it on TV if it aligns.

It's a problem when a forward or playmaker takes a breather with 5 minutes left on the clock and then can't get back on in the last 2 minutes of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back