wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
In today's Australian on why he didn't sack the Governor-General, John Howard was quoted as saying:

these are not issues that should be determined by the volume on talkback radio or in the front page of newspapers.

Is it just me, or do these comments seem a tad odd coming from someone who made it a virtue before the last election in announcing, after much criticism from the media and talkback callers, in providing a series of "backflips" on innumerable policies as proof that he was "listening" to the general public? His reaction to the Tampa crisis was another case in point.

And as if his stance on the cross-media laws isn't a classic example of him being compleltely subservient to the likes of News Limited and Kerry and really forged on principled grounds

Whether you like or dislike Howard's policies or the man himself, I would suspect his comments of trying to pass himself off as a man who doesn't bow to public and media pressure would be a bit hard to swallow.

It happens so often in politics. Before the November election, the same people who were writing in to the "have a sook" newspaper columns (and I'm sure it applies to some people here too) viewed one party's change of policy as "listening to the electorate" while viewing the other party's policy change as a backflip.

I suppose politicians, especially the current government, can probably afford to tell the odd porkie or do the odd backflip (in a career sense) - they know it won't really affect them because their direct opponents are usually just as guilty of the same things.

As I remember Kim Beasley reacted to the children overboard episode by saying how terrible it all was while Howard turned into the bitter old man you see at the end of every public bar (the one no-one listens to anymore)

No amount of spin can alter how alarmist and divisive howard (and the liberals) were during that election campaign.

Meanwhile ansett went down the gurgler, and Health funds were praparing price rises three times that of inflation.

Howard and indeed all politicians should well remember that they were elected to serve the people and that we are a democracy. Howard should stop acting like a dictator and lsiten to what the masses have to say and one of the forums we have at out disposal are the media and other forums to express are views on issues such as the G-G, boat people and health insurance.
What other way have the masses of conveying feelings that affect us as a nation ? Is almost impossible to meet with a federal member of Parliament as they are hardly ever there in their office.
I won't waffle on to much but to say the will of the people must be heard and not ridiculed.

The media are not a democratic institution.

The people who phone up talk back and other media sources and submit views in print or other methods are the people. Can you tell me what other way the voice of the people can be heard ?
In the instance of Hollingworth how do you explain the huge majority backlash ? People are not silly or stupid, the talk is everywhere from offices where people work to bars.

Originally posted by Winny Blues
The people who phone up talk back and other media sources and submit views in print or other methods are the people. Can you tell me what other way the voice of the people can be heard ?
Going to see their local member.
In the instance of Hollingworth how do you explain the huge majority backlash ?
The media got hold of a previously controversial appointment and tore the crap out of it. People followed.

The media are voices of the public, but just like speaking to your local MP, they only say what they want to say.

Every country has media, not just the democracies. The USSR were strong backers of mass media, because they could push their agendas. In Australia, we're `enlightened'....the agendas of our media are pushed by private individuals/major shareholders/major advertisers.

There is no link written -anywhere- that requires the media to be democratic in any way, shape or form. They are supposed to be non-partisan, but we know that doesn't happen.

In the instance of Hollingworth how do you explain the huge majority backlash ? People are not silly or stupid, the talk is everywhere from offices where people work to bars.

The way the voice of the people can be heard is at the ballot box, which it was in November last year. The majority of people believed the lies that the Howard Government spun and they voted accordingly. Howard, Reith & Ruddock used their brand of wedge politics to convince and scare the public into voting for them. Not all of us were fooled, but we all have to live with it!

John Howard is just a sad little man with a sad little plan to gain himself a place in history. He will not sack the Governor General because to do so would be to admit he got it wrong. He will never admit he is wrong just as he will never say sorry.

The backlash against Hollingworth stems from his own words and his feeble way of responding to such allegations the media has only reported such facts that has come from his own mouth and not been beaten up to make a story, this alone is what has angered the majority he has hung himself with his own words. If any untruths have been reported then he has the option to sue the media for any slander or libel. What is damning is the victims who have been almost left out to dry by the former Archbishop who attempts to blame them ...a 14 year old girl seducing a priest...really !! how offensive.
Have you tried to meet with your local MP ? as I stated earlier it is near impossible.

Thousands of dollars have been paid to have dinner with Bill Clinton here in Australia. Bill was a liar and a pervert. Yet he is honoured here.

The GG did not lie and acted in line with his pastoral learnings. He also did heaps of good.......yet the Australian media and its sheep want to crucify him.

Such is life.

The backlash against Hollingworth stems from his own words and his feeble way of responding to such allegations the media has only reported such facts that has come from his own mouth and not been beaten up to make a story, this alone is what has angered the majority he has hung himself with his own words.
Or at least the words that the media have presented to you.Thats not all he's said, he doesn't exist only for the two minutes that the cameras are on.

If any untruths have been reported then he has the option to sue the media for any slander or libel.
You don't need to lie to make something look good or bad. I'll give you an example.

Collingwood are the most fanatically supported side in the AFL, make million dollar profits and have won 14 AFL premierships.

Collingwood have missed the finals for over five years and have won one premiership in the last 40 years.

Both can be misleading. This is the territory that the media works in.

Have you tried to meet with your local MP ? as I stated earlier it is near impossible.
I've never had a need to. Have you tried to meet an MP? My Mum used to work in an MP's office, and people were frequently making appointments to meet them...that were kept.

Its not that hard.. Sure, you won't be able to casually call in on them, but appointments can be made. And sometimes they're in Canberra...this is part of the job.

Anyone who thinks daytime talkback radio is somehow 'the voice of the people' are absolutely kidding themselves.

Talkback radio is a carefully contrived piece of vaudeville entertainment.

It is about as true to public opinion as Judge Judy is true to real court cases.

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people who phone up talk back and other media sources and submit views in print or other methods are the people. Can you tell me what other way the voice of the people can be heard ? ...

BSA has just commented on this ... and he's spot on.

Talk-back radio is heavily censored via the "dump" button. There is a delay of several seconds between what you say and what goes to air. If you say anything they don't like you get "dumped". Either that, or they let a small part of your statement go to air and then talk over the top of you. By the time you start countering their arguments they've cut you off.

I gave up on commercial talk-back radio years ago. It's the domain of the right-wing shock-jocks. They only let you hear what they want you to hear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back