Interesting facts on Tigers (can you see the boredom kicking in?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmondfan#1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2000
AFL Club
Richmond
Well we go for the Tigers so it is best we know something about them.

The TIGER.....

* The largest member of the cat family

* Native to Asia they can be found living in hot jungle areas

* Maximum length including talk 3m

* Maximum weight 306kg

* A very strong swimmer, the Tiger avoids midday sun by bathing in water

* This carnivore eats a varied diet ranging from fish and frogs to larger mammals such as cattle and deer

* The female Tiger gives birth to a litter of between one and six cubs at a time

* Used to defend it's territory, the Tiger's roar can be heard up to 2km away

* A solitary animal, the Tiger lives alone and hunts only at night

* Legally protected against being hunted, the Tiger is still in severe danger of extinction due to it's natural habitat being destroyed and is recognised worldwide as an endangered species

That title sounded interesting... you fooled us all into entering! Anyway what are you doing awake at this Richmondfan#1andonly?

It is my firm opinion that anyone found guilty of poaching and killing a tiger should be executed.

Furthermore, any vendor who is found guilty of selling tiger products for so-called Chinese herbal medicines should be imprisoned for 7 or more years as a deterent.

As for the former, I would be happy to shoot the poacher myself.

------------------
TT - Obligatory bad-tempered Richmond supporter

And as for the consumers...

Quite frankly, anyone stupid enough to believe eating tiger penis will make them more virile, deserves to be shot too.

------------------

Here, here TT!!!!

And as for you homoboy, shouldn't you be doing your homework? Oh ok, I will help you with the answers. Question 1 (1+1) is not 4 you moron. It is 2. If you are going to be that dumb, sorry but i'm not helping
tongue.gif

And while we have our rifles out:

Start running homework_boy
biggrin.gif

------------------

I found this on another Tiger board.

From the Fairfax site:

The chilling secret behind the big cat's almighty roar

By ANDREW MORGAN
LONDON Friday 19 January 2001

A tiger's roar is so intimidating that it has the power to paralyse animals and humans within earshot - a phenomenon that has, until now, baffled researchers.

Scientists at the Fauna Communication Research Institute in North Carolina have discovered that the tiger's secret is its ability to make very low-frequency sounds that any prey will actually feel, in addition to the threatening rumble that is usually the last thing a victim hears.

Researchers have been working in the field of bio-acoustics, studying the frequency, pitch, loudness and duration of animal sounds in order to understand animal behavior. They have established that the tiger emits low-pitched "infrasound", a growl so deep that it is inaudible to humans. All big cats have this skill, although to a much lesser extent than the tiger.

Humans can hear frequencies from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz (cycles per second) but tigers, whales, elephants and rhinos can all produce sounds below 20 Hz. The tiger mixes infrasound growls at 18 Hz and below with the roar that we can hear, and the result, according to institute president Elizabeth von Muggenthaler, is that humans can actually feel the tiger roar - a sensation that causes momentary paralysis.

"It rattles and shakes people and it's stunning because it happens so fast, just a split second," Dr von Muggenthaler said.

"It's an incredible force coming at you. When they roar, tigers often move at great speed from lying down to straight up.

"During that time, you never have any thoughts of running away because you're so glued to the moment in time."

Tigers do not only use infra-sound literally to scare their prey stiff. It is an invaluable means of communication for them because it can travel long distances.

The research will come as no surprise to military scientists, long aware of the potential of infrasound as a weapon. Several devices that can stun advancing troops with a shockwave of low-frequency sound are under development.

The tiger does not only have a unique roar. It is also a surprisingly chatty big cat with an elaborate vocabulary of "vocalisations" that constitute its main means of communication.

The scientists say tigers are "remarkably articulate" animals that, in addition to roaring, have a wide variety of special sounds for use with other tigers, such as chuffing - a type of affectionate greeting - growling, hissing, grunting and mewling.

In the first study of its kind, Dr von Muggenthaler and her colleagues recorded every growl, hiss, chuff and roar of 24 tigers at the Carnivore Preservation Trust in Pittsboro, North Carolina, and at the Riverbanks Zoological Park in Columbia, South Carolina.

Studying the tiger's roar should help its conservation, she said, because tigers were solitary in the wild.

Being able to interpret the meaning of the sounds they make will help scientists locate them.

TELEGRAPH

OK Miss Smarty RF1, here is a question for you:

What is the collective noun for a tiger? (e.g. The collective noun for lions is 'pride', crows - 'murder', whales - 'pod')

P.S. There are 2 schools of thought on this one - I'm not sure if either are correct!

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Originally posted by CJH:

What is the collective noun for a tiger? (e.g. The collective noun for lions is 'pride', crows - 'murder', whales - 'pod')

P.S. There are 2 schools of thought on this one - I'm not sure if either are correct!

Well i'm stuffed but hey i can't be good at everything!
I'll give it a try anyway, is it a bond of tigers?
I know they are mammals and are in the carniverous family
smile.gif
!

Originally posted by CJH:

FRom what i understand about tigers being solitary animals you can only have a single tiger or a pair during mating.

Yes, ShereKahn gets the chocolates! There is no collective noun for Tigers!

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

For those who know their military history...

The collective noun for a group of Tigers was:

Schwere Panzer Abteilung
(heavy tank battalion)

------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BSA,

I thought I might spark some interest there (noted that 'interest' on your profile).

Tiger I and Tiger II (King Tiger) were deployed in independent Schwere Panzer Abteilung.

Panther and Pzkw IVg-j were deployed in Regiments that consisted of two Panzer Abteilung. First Abteilung usually Panthers, second usually PzkwIVs. Usually one Panzer Regiment per Panzer Division.

StuGIII usually deployed in Schturmgeschutzbrigaden which (like Tigers) were not permanently part of the Panzer Divisions.

Interest in military history? What era?

------------------

yeah, I like achtungpanzer alot - its a serious and thoughtfull website, not like alot of imitations which are often just thinly disguised neo-Nazi worship sites.

The best thing about it is that it doesn't pull any punches, its very critical German WW11 Armour generally and although any WW11 buff will tell you that Germans deployed awesome war machines in battle, not many will willingly tell you how overly complex they were, how cumbersome they were, how badly built they were, how much fuel they used, how prone they were to breakdown and just how German war-effort was fritted away on too many different types of tanks, deploying too many different calibres of gun and using too much resources compared to the simplicity, reliability and efficiency of the Soviet t-34.

I could go on but nooooooo - don't get me started.

cheers

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel:
... compared to the simplicity, reliability and efficiency of the Soviet t-34.

cheers

Of course the Pzkw IV (long) was more than capable of dispatching any T-34, hampered as it was by its cramped 2-man turret ...

Ever post on AP's forum?

Or are you more of a fan of Valeria Potapov's Russian Military Zone?

------------------

Remove this Banner Ad

Back