Interesting Facts Regarding Kevin Sheedy / Essendon...

Remove this Banner Ad

b-t-gizzle

Senior List
Jul 22, 2004
M e L B O u R N e
AFL Club
Essendon
I know your all probably sick of Sheedy tributes, especially with the amount of Essendon-Hate that festers on this board, but i thought these were spectactular statistics., Not sure if there was already a thread on this but i checked the last few pages & did a search that came up negative so here we go...This was in Friday's Sport Section from The Age...I'm sure you all already knew the first one but the rest are quite interesting...

- The other 16 clubs (Fitzroy included) have had 106 different coaches since Sheedy started at Essendon (thats almost 7 per club)

- Of 541 end of round ladders, Essendon have been on top 104 times (19.22%), the next best being Hawthorn with 70, West Coast with 63 & Carlton with 51, Richmond has been top only 19 times (3.5%)

- Of those 541 ladders, Essendon has been in the top 4 266 times (40% of the time)

- The 10 biggest home and away crowds at the MCG since sheedy took over have all involved the bombers

- Of the 10 biggest home and away crowds in the history of the game, seven of them have involved a sheedy-coached essendon...

throw in 4 day premierships, 6 night flags and thats a pretty impressive resume!

Sheedy celebrated 25 years yesterday - so did he take over the bombers early in the season all that time ago, or did the season start later then? Or did they just choose that game to celebrate it? What is the deal?

Sheedy is a coach of a rare breed.

The vast majority of coaches come in to take an already established list of players to the flag, or to rebuild a team's list and then have a short at the flag. The you've got those who are crap coaches who only got the job becasue they are a "favourite son" (see: Tony Shaw). These first two types of coached generally leave a club with a diminishing list and players who were recruited to fill a position for 1 -2 years.

Sheedy has an incredible record in terms of timing and getting the best out of players (both young and old). In his entire coaching record he has spent very little time not being in final's contention and I cannot recall a period where Essendon were poor for an extended period of time.

Of course the Essendon Board should also be congratulated for it's continual pragmatic view on the club's success (or periods of lack of success).

Regards

S. Pete

I had thoughts about that too, but what happens is you have to count the year 1981 when calculating 1981-2005. That gives you 25 years.

We have all criticised him at times, but serioulsy, Sheeds is a master coach. The stats above say it all. On ya Sheeds!!!

CatManDo said:
Sheedy celebrated 25 years yesterday - so did he take over the bombers early in the season all that time ago, or did the season start later then? Or did they just choose that game to celebrate it? What is the deal?

This is his 25th season.
He was there for the complete 1981 season, the club just picked this week to celebrate it.

Why Round 8, though? Needed something to pump up an Ess vs. Freo game I guess.

Notice how all of these promotions only ever seem to happen when we play at the phone box and never against MCG games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back