Resource Interesting Saints historical photos.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 1983 team photo is a real interesting one. For a wooden Spoon side theres some pretty influential people there and some interesting trivia.

Grant Thomas of course ended up our Coach

Michael Nettlefold was our CEO.

Simon O'Donnel ended up being one of Australia's best ODI cricketers.

Bruce Duperouzel also a very handy cricketer playing a handful of games for W.A.

The team had 4 genuine full forwards.
Mark Scott. Who was bloody awesome at Reserves level but couldnt reach the same level in the Senior team.But did win our goal kicking a couple of times.
Mark Jackson. Had more talent in his little finger than most have in their whole body. Unfortunately his brain was the size of his little finger.
Simon O'Donnel. Wasnt a bad player, but was a much better cricketer.
Plugger. The Saints knew they had a very good young player but they had no idea just how good he would end up.

3 of the players fought cancer battles . O'Donnel while still playing for Aust. Peter Melesso, and sadly Trevor Barker .

And whos idea was it to put short arse Super Duper in the back row:D

Snake: do you recall if this is the team that lost by 100+ at Victoria Park?
I think that happened in the 80's.
God that's a memory I'll unfortunately take to my grave.
Some condescending Collingwood supporter gave me 15 goals in and I still lost the bet by 3 goals....

Some condescending Collingwood supporter gave me 15 goals in and I still lost the bet by 3 goals....
Nah mate in 83 the pies beat us by just 16pts at Moorabbin and then by 63 pts at Filth Park.
But in 84 they smashed us by 93 pts at Filth Park then they beat us by just 6pts at Moorabbin .
Maybe its the 93 pt drubbing your thinking off.?

The Pies knocked up the Cricket score of 207 against us at Vic Park in 1979. They eventually won the game by 178 points and is still their largest winning margin recorded and unsurprisingly, our largest losing margin.
With eleven different goalscorers and the final score of 31.21.207 to our paltry 3.11.29, maybe this is the game you had in mind.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1979/041519790428.html

Last edited:

I played in a team once where the opposition scored 200 plus points I forget their exact score. We scored a total of 2 points for the entire game. I kicked one of the points and the other was greedily kicked by another bloke when I was standing in an open goal square when he could easily have passed to me. campaigner.

Nah mate in 83 the pies beat us by just 16pts at Moorabbin and then by 63 pts at Filth Park.
But in 84 they smashed us by 93 pts at Filth Park then they beat us by just 6pts at Moorabbin .
Maybe its the 93 pt drubbing your thinking off.?

I think this is the one.
Marriage had gone pear shaped the prior year so I was back with the lads.
Probably lost the bet by 3 points rather than the 3 goals I remembered.
Either way, not a pleasant experience.
Victoria Park never was, tool of a place.

The Pies knocked up the Cricket score of 207 against us at Vic Park in 1979. They eventually won the game by 178 points and is still their largest winning margin recorded and unsurprisingly, our largest losing margin.
With eleven different goalscorers and the final score of 31.21.207 to our paltry 3.11.29, maybe this is the game you had in mind.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1979/041519790428.html

This I had forgotten.
Wisely.
I have memories, mostly bad, of our efforts at Victoria Park as a uni mate lived just up the road and they may include this one.
But they're repressed and I'm keeping them that way.
I see a buddy of mine actually played in this game, I must ask him about it next time I see him.
He's probably deliberately forgotten it!!

But those teams from the late 70's to mid 80's: God they were shocking.
One year our only Victorian rep was Jeff Dunne, and he was our back pocket.....

Dug up a few photos of Jezzas time at the Saints.
For the young peeps on here Jesaulenko coming to the Saints in 1980 was a huge story.
After leading the Blues to the 79 flag he had a falling out with the club and was enticed to the Saints by Lindsay Fox and a big bag of money:D
Was made the last ever VFL captain/coach after we sacked Mike Patterson and Fox put Jezza in charge.
Played 2 yrs as Capt/Coach and a 3rd just as Coach.

This Video explains more

Its fair to Jezza doesnt look all that relaxed in the Saints jumper just yet. Maybe waiting for that first cheque from Fox to clear:p

FXT54753.jpg

An embrace from Fox after the rnd 3 1980 draw Vs the Tigers at the G.
FXT54757.jpg

main_1981_vfl_kelloggs_corn_flakes_australian_football_greats_05_alex_jesaulenko_saints.jpg
11374_4.jpg

As Coach in the 82 team photo
1982-VFL-TEAM-POSTER-STKILDA-FOOTBALL-CLUB.jpg

Even made it onto Cornflakes:D
29355_0.jpg

This photo is an absolute gem!
It looks to have been taken on the same night Joffa Cunningham handed over his number 25 jumper on live television. A publicity stunt no doubt performed in the hopes of increasing memberships ;).
Footage of the above from 3:10 onward in the below vid.

It looks to have been taken on the same night Joffa Cunningham handed over his number 25 jumper on live television. A publicity stunt no doubt performed in the hopes of increasing memberships ;).

Yeah thats the Video i actually meant to post. But the one i did post is extremely comical in the way the Blues board acted extremely childish as they turn on each other and the media

Yeah thats the Video i actually meant to post. But the one i did post is extremely comical in the way the Blues board acted extremely childish as they turn on each other and the media
Large egos have always been a prerequisite for high office over at Princes Park ;).

Last edited:
For the young peeps on here Jesaulenko coming to the Saints in 1980 was a huge story.
After leading the Blues to the 79 flag he had a falling out with the club and was enticed to the Saints by Lindsay Fox and a big bag of money:D
Was made the last ever VFL captain/coach after we sacked Mike Patterson and Fox put Jezza in charge.

This Video explains more

Its fair to Jezza doesnt look all that relaxed in the Saints jumper just yet. Maybe waiting for that first cheque from Fox to clear:p

FXT54753.jpg

FXT54757.jpg

main_1981_vfl_kelloggs_corn_flakes_australian_football_greats_05_alex_jesaulenko_saints.jpg
11374_4.jpg

29355_0.jpg

Yikes, imagine how Big Footy would be going off, if it was around during that civil war at Carlton!

Getting back to the Panthers, it was when we changed jumper from a lot of white to a lot of black. When we were the Seagulls, we had that insipid "Who wants to be beside the seaside, who wants to be beside the sea," as our theme song. Even though I was just a primary school kid, I hated it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting back to the Panthers, it was when we changed jumper from a lot of white to a lot of black. When we were the Seagulls, we had that insipid "Who wants to be beside the seaside, who wants to be beside the sea," as our theme song. Even though I was just a primary school kid, I hated it.
When you look at it that way ,going from white back and sleeves to black back and sleeves the 'Panther' nick name kind off makes sense.
The seagulls made sense cos of St.kilda beach.
The Panthers made sense with the color change.
Saints makes sense cos of our name.

To be honest id be happy to be the 'St Kilda Flatheads" if it was written on a premiership cup.

This Video explains more

FXT54753.jpg

FXT54757.jpg

11374_4.jpg

29355_0.jpg

LOL
He looks like a waiter at my local Greek restaurant.

I went in '79 when we lost by 170 points

Holy crap balls is Luke Darcy related to Rob Astbury. Its like Luke Darcy got Ron Burgendyed... lol great vid.

Old saints pic.JPG
You might find this interesting its Saints Autograph Cards from 1986 when we briefly toyed with the "Southern Saints" name. Which replaced our motto on our shield for a very short time.
Some household names and some "who the hell was he"? names.
Not too sure about the new song:eek:
Enjoy:thumbsu:

1986-St-Kilda-Southern-Saints-card-set-and.jpg

1986-St-Kilda-Southern-Saints-card-set-and-_57.jpg

Here is the old photo Snake that I was referring to from the 1986 family day where I got those cards you have above, signed. I was the only kid that photos with 2 players that day, Plugger and Burnsy and got the polaroid signed by Burnsy. Classic.

View attachment 330159
Here is the old photo Snake that I was referring to from the 1986 family day where I got those cards you have above, signed. I was the only kid that photos with 2 players that day, Plugger and Burnsy and got the polaroid signed by Burnsy. Classic.
Thats a ripper of a photo mate.:thumbsu::thumbsu:
If i had that id take the photo of my kids out of my wallet and put that one in:D

And I believe it's the same game that Robbie Muir spat at Ray Shaw. I was only 7 so I don't remember much of it. Thankfully.
IF Shaw called Muir what most aboriginal players were getting called at the time then he deserved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back