Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like we have a list good enough to go toe to toe with all of them.

It’s not necessarily the results that matter it’s how we go about it.

We should be comfortably sitting inside the top 6.

I reckon I'll still be pissed off about this in 10 years time.

More information please.

On what, my 70's slant and David Dench and his time at Fed Uni? Who are after a new Director of facilities. Did consider applying for the gig, not paying enough though for a Director role I mean.

Or our coaching options and I will keep you up to date if any information comes to hand. I'm calling it though we've found our man. I reckon we are on a Shaw thing.

How Rhyce Shaw has transformed North Melbourne into a force!

AFL News
Languishing towards the foot of the ladder after 9 rounds, it was a clear that change was in order for the North Melbourne Kangaroos who despite some shrewd off-season acquisitions could never quite string together quality performances. Brad Scott was subsequently removed from his position as head coach of the football club, a decision which in the short term appears to be very good, such has been the success of caretaker coach, Rhyce Shaw who has assumed Scott’s position on the Iron Throne of the Kangaroos.
The success of Shaw has been somewhat surprising given his lack of experience as a head coach of a football club, but it is clear that he has influenced the players into playing a seemingly more simple and effective brand of football. This brand of football is reminiscent of the attacking brand employed by Scott during the successful days of his reign where North Melbourne played in 2 consecutive Preliminary Finals.
2 dominant displays against top 4 contender Richmond and struggling Gold Coast serve to emphasise this. Whilst North Melbourne could muster just a 27 point deficit against the Suns, it is clear that the scoreboard flattered the home side who were outnumbered in inside 50s 43-70. This large differential in inside 50s shows that Shaw’s message may have pertained to playing a more direct, quick brand of football which suits North Melbourne’s run and carry to provide opportunities for the marking presences of Nick Larkey, Ben Brown and Mason Wood.
This is also supported in the fact that Brown, Larkey and Wood have combined for 23 scoring shots during Shaw’s 2 games in charge as opposed to just 13 in Scott’s final 2 games. This is also whilst playing against largely stronger opposition, demonstrating that Shaw is truly utilising North Melbourne’s forward prowess to the best of their abilities whilst also instructing a direct approach with regards to forward entries which suits the Roos’ star players.
However, the most impressive part of Shaw’s reign thus far has been the extent to which the players have clearly bought into his new system, to the point where they have truly willing to fight for their new coach. This is particularly poignant in the performances of captain, Jack Ziebell who has led by example in the past 2 games, despite being much scrutinised for his performances during the dying embers of Scott’s reign on the throne. In his last performance under Scott, Ziebell could muster just 16 disposals and averaged just 18.5 as a midfielder/forward during Scott’s 10 games in charge this season.
However, the most disappointing aspect of Ziebell’s game was the trait which he is most known for, his tackling. Tackling is far from a skill, it simply pertains to the want and intent to do it and do it well, something which had clearly been missing from Ziebell’s game when Scott was in charge. In fact, during the first 10 games of the season, Ziebell had averaged just 3.8 tackles per game, a far cry of the 17 he’s laid during the last 2 games of which Shaw has been in charge. Clearly, Ziebell is taking it upon himself to improve the team’s performances, with the intent shown by Ziebell not merely isolated within the team’s spiritual leader but reflecting across the rest of the team, as exemplified through the whopping 72 tackles North Melbourne put on against Richmond and 56 against the Suns.
Another leader of this newfound Kangaroos set up has been tough youngster, Cameron Zurhaar who backed up a 5 goal performance a couple weeks back with 11 tackles against the Tigers in North’s surprise victory. It allows the question to arise, why wasn’t Zurhaar playing more under Scott? I personally think Scott and many fans may have underestimated the true ability of Zurhaar which is now coming into fruition during 2019. In fact, such is Zurhaar’s form that he has received an AFL rising star nomination and could receive a few votes for the award at the end of the season.
All in all, should North Melbourne continue this form in difficult games against Premiership contenders, GWS and Collingwood, we could see a surprise charge at the end of the season for a team which was considered done just a mere few weeks ago. Beware of the Kangas, they are back and they are coming for your spot in the top 8!​

The success of Shaw has been somewhat surprising given his lack of experience as a head coach of a football club, but it is clear that he has influenced the players into playing a seemingly more simple and effective brand of football. This brand of football is reminiscent of the attacking brand employed by Scott during the successful days of his reign where North Melbourne played in 2 consecutive Preliminary Finals.

2 dominant displays against top 4 contender Richmond and struggling Gold Coast serve to emphasise this. Whilst North Melbourne could muster just a 27 point deficit against the Suns, it is clear that the scoreboard flattered the home side who were outnumbered in inside 50s 43-70. This large differential in inside 50s shows that Shaw’s message may have pertained to playing a more direct, quick brand of football which suits North Melbourne’s run and carry to provide opportunities for the marking presences of Nick Larkey, Ben Brown and Mason Wood.

This is also supported in the fact that Brown, Larkey and Wood have combined for 23 scoring shots during Shaw’s 2 games in charge as opposed to just 13 in Scott’s final 2 games. This is also whilst playing against largely stronger opposition, demonstrating that Shaw is truly utilising North Melbourne’s forward prowess to the best of their abilities whilst also instructing a direct approach with regards to forward entries which suits the Roos’ star players.

However, the most impressive part of Shaw’s reign thus far has been the extent to which the players have clearly bought into his new system, to the point where they have truly willing to fight for their new coach. This is particularly poignant in the performances of captain, Jack Ziebell who has led by example in the past 2 games, despite being much scrutinised for his performances during the dying embers of Scott’s reign on the throne. In his last performance under Scott, Ziebell could muster just 16 disposals and averaged just 18.5 as a midfielder/forward during Scott’s 10 games in charge this season.

However, the most disappointing aspect of Ziebell’s game was the trait which he is most known for, his tackling. Tackling is far from a skill, it simply pertains to the want and intent to do it and do it well, something which had clearly been missing from Ziebell’s game when Scott was in charge. In fact, during the first 10 games of the season, Ziebell had averaged just 3.8 tackles per game, a far cry of the 17 he’s laid during the last 2 games of which Shaw has been in charge. Clearly, Ziebell is taking it upon himself to improve the team’s performances, with the intent shown by Ziebell not merely isolated within the team’s spiritual leader but reflecting across the rest of the team, as exemplified through the whopping 72 tackles North Melbourne put on against Richmond and 56 against the Suns.

Another leader of this newfound Kangaroos set up has been tough youngster, Cameron Zurhaar who backed up a 5 goal performance a couple weeks back with 11 tackles against the Tigers in North’s surprise victory. It allows the question to arise, why wasn’t Zurhaar playing more under Scott? I personally think Scott and many fans may have underestimated the true ability of Zurhaar which is now coming into fruition during 2019. In fact, such is Zurhaar’s form that he has received an AFL rising star nomination and could receive a few votes for the award at the end of the season.

All in all, should North Melbourne continue this form in difficult games against Premiership contenders, GWS and Collingwood, we could see a surprise charge at the end of the season for a team which was considered done just a mere few weeks ago. Beware of the Kangas, they are back and they are coming for your spot in the top 8!
Good summation of 'go direct' and 'tackle' or be aggressive. Interesting to see Ziebs' tackle count numbers.

Shaw did have his own NEAFL team.

Zurhaar did play under Scott when he wasn't injured and got his Rising Star nomination under Scott in Round 7 against Carlton.

Last edited:
There’s a bit to like so far eh? One thing I said to a mate when we appointed Scott was that sure, the available audio showed him to be a welcome well spoken option in contrast to the more blue collar Laidley. But I asked “is he a footy person though?” Something didn’t sit quite right.

He ended up allaying most of that concern but only based on early indicators I prefer Shaw at the same stage.

-Genuine people person and unashamed footy enthusiast
-Has quickly dropped the generic praise-shifting act and outed himself as a defensive minded coach (ie he already has a stated ‘brand’)
-Expressed displeasure at a team drop-off rather than explaining it away with some ‘learning experience’ fluff
-Players expressing sentiments of playing their natural game and having opportunities
-Embraces the contest of going after his brother rather than hosing it down with some bland “It’s only you blokes thinking about it” retort
-Heading to the dugout and speaking directly to the troops
-Team playing hard, competitive brand of football, winning in spite of being a man down both weeks

There’s a long way to go, he might be a 2 week wonder. But you can only judge on the evidence presented.

There’s a bit to like so far eh? One thing I said to a mate when we appointed Scott was that sure, the available audio showed him to be a welcome well spoken option in contrast to the more blue collar Laidley. But I asked “is he a footy person though?” Something didn’t sit quite right.

He ended up allaying most of that concern but only based on early indicators I prefer Shaw at the same stage.

-Genuine people person and unashamed footy enthusiast
-Has quickly dropped the generic praise-shifting act and outed himself as a defensive minded coach (ie he already has a stated ‘brand’)
-Expressed displeasure at a team drop-off rather than explaining it away with some ‘learning experience’ fluff
-Players expressing sentiments of playing their natural game and having opportunities
-Embraces the contest of going after his brother rather than hosing it down with some bland “It’s only you blokes thinking about it” retort
-Heading to the dugout and speaking directly to the troops
-Team playing hard, competitive brand of football, winning in spite of being a man down both weeks

There’s a long way to go, he might be a 2 week wonder. But you can only judge on the evidence presented.
I know it was a couple of years ago, but sliding doors moment, I wonder if Shaw was the coach at the time, we would’ve got dusty(name interchangeable).

AFL News

Languishing towards the foot of the ladder after 9 rounds, it was a clear that change was in order for the North Melbourne Kangaroos who despite some shrewd off-season acquisitions could never quite string together quality performances. Brad Scott was subsequently removed from his position as head coach of the football club, a decision which in the short term appears to be very good, such has been the success of caretaker coach, Rhyce Shaw who has assumed Scott’s position on the Iron Throne of the Kangaroos.

All in all, should North Melbourne continue this form in difficult games against Premiership contenders, GWS and Collingwood, we could see a surprise charge at the end of the season for a team which was considered done just a mere few weeks ago. Beware of the Kangas, they are back and they are coming for your spot in the top 8!

FFS.:rolleyes:

Rhyce hasn't "transformed shyte, he's just doing what the last bloke should have been doing.

This just highlights how the clueless in the media were completely ignorant of our list in the first place.

I'll give Roos credit, he identified that we were "over-coached" and Lloyd has identified a similiar issue with Carlton.

Big tick so far, but I feel like this is where it stats getting real. We’ll find out if he can coach from here. We’ve got GWS, Collingwood, Brisbane at the Gabba, West Coast in Perth & Geelong in Geelong. That’s about as tough as it gets.

making a coach accountable I'd welcome such new age s**t, but as the last bloke in the seat got by with winning % of 27, 30, 25, 16, 40, 50 and praise the Lord 60 against the sides that won flags during his tenure.

I'll be happy with accountability for the players and a game style that doesn't make you feel like digging your eyes out with a teaspoon. Exciting though, win/win for us against those sides.

I'm finally coming around to snake's pov who's banged on about out list not being bad, so should we finish in the lower reaches of the ladder, we get a better draft pick than we should.

s**t is looking up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By rights we are probably tipped go
0-5.

With recent form shifts and usual footy whakyness , it’d be great to go 2-3 and I’d be very happy with 3-2 and no demoralising smashings.

What are others feeling about it?

If we go 3 and 2 and beat everyone else we'll play finals and push for a GF.

That's how good we will be. The other teams we play are dees, port, hawks, * and saints. Realistically I'd hope we win 4 of those. That all adds up to finishing ninth again I think. If you are one of the players that has to be moved on later this year and are playing regular senior footy now you would be genuinely pissed off that we ****ed up so much early in the year. Missed a good shot at finals because of it.

If we beat everyone we've lost to this year (including jlt) just for revenge sake, beat the Dees and one of GWs or Pies then we'll have 13 wins and 5 out of 5 for those games against lower sides. (And a good shot at a flag.)

Its a pretty big ask and while I'd always expect (ie hope for) that sort of thing however unrealistically I think this side under Shaw is actually capable of it. Realistically.

Last edited:
making a coach accountable I'd welcome such new age ****, but as the last bloke in the seat got by with winning % of 27, 30, 25, 16, 40, 50 and praise the Lord 60 against the sides that won flags during his tenure.

I'll be happy with accountability for the players and a game style that doesn't make you feel like digging your eyes out with a teaspoon. Exciting though, win/win for us against those sides.

I'm finally coming around to snake's pov who's banged on about out list not being bad, so should we finish in the lower reaches of the ladder, we get a better draft pick than we should.

**** is looking up.
$81 for the flag.. get on it.

making a coach accountable I'd welcome such new age ****, but as the last bloke in the seat got by with winning % of 27, 30, 25, 16, 40, 50 and praise the Lord 60 against the sides that won flags during his tenure.

**** is looking up.

Our list is good enough to play finals and win a few at least. And I think we'll see that for the rest of the year. Where we end up is another matter.

Pushing himself to the pointy end of the list pretty quickly.

Wins this week, and he almost writes his own ticket.

I reckon he already has.

Scott was so cooked he started talking about us in 3rd person at every opportunity whilst still employed.

There's no one else. I've yet to hear i name I'd want. Maybe Caracella and Burns but they proven more than sure? (who knows)

Won 2 from 2, players seem to be trying, easy decision. If he shanks the rest sure but only then the discussion reopens.

**** is looking up.

I get where you’re coming from with the draft pick, but I also think we already have a good list. I’d rather them prove they’re good enough for the rest of the year-even if that means finishing 9th. Then a full attack on 2020.

Our list was never s**t (maybe at start) with Scott in charge.

He underdelivered not overdelivered despite the popular "North had little" no clue opposition vote. He underdelivered.

It's bullshit. AA or near AA on every line with plenty of handy soldiers.

Anyone that believed that fell for setting overly low standards that Scott set.

"Making finals when near 9.0", "Hope we challenge the quality teams" etc. ("Hope" being Swallow's favourite word btw).

Completely defeatist and Shaw has been a massive breathe of fresh air win, lose or draw.

AFL News

Where’s this article from?

The enormous self-inflicted cockpunch that was our first six weeks has ruined any chance we had of finals.
Freo debacle one week but I can’t believe we let Brisbane get 66 inside 50s at Docklands. 66

Like * me how can that happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back