Rumour Busted Internal documents reveal Kangaroos actively shifting away from "North Melbourne" name

Remove this Banner Ad

northern kangaroos, playing out of darwin, but maybe visiting cairns or broome occasionally.

its that or fold.
Canberra Kangaroos has a better ring to it. I'd prefer the NT, like Tassie, to have their own team, but NT may take decades. I don't think the competition ever needs more than 20 teams in it, but every state and territory should have a team. As you said, it's either Kangaroos fold or go to NT (but I'd consider the ACT). As I said, Canberra Kangaroos sounds good, and they've played in Canberra before. I think the NT should be called the Crocodiles, and their colours should be black, gold, and red, like the Indigenous flag.

* was worse. Far, far worse.

And I say that as a Carlton supporter, with no shortage of scandals attached to our club (salary cap rorting).

Sadly ..the club went down the toilet due to a rendezvous in a toilet

Carey's affair with Ms Stevens emerged in 2002 after they were caught in a bathroom together at a party by his North Melbourne team mates - including Stevens himself.

In his 2009 autobiography, Carey revealed that he shouted at Ms Stevens to leave the bathroom when they were discovered.

But she has disputed this and said the AFL star never asked her to get out of the toilet.

'He didn't tell me to get out of the toilet or anything like that,' she said.”

Canberra Kangaroos has a better ring to it. I'd prefer the NT, like Tassie, to have their own team, but NT may take decades. I don't think the competition ever needs more than 20 teams in it, but every state and territory should have a team. As you said, it's either Kangaroos fold or go to NT (but I'd consider the ACT). As I said, Canberra Kangaroos sounds good, and they've played in Canberra before. I think the NT should be called the Crocodiles, and their colours should be black, gold, and red, like the Indigenous flag.

Canberra and Darwin will never work for any AFL club.

For a multitude of reasons

Sort of like the Western Bulldogs. When I am making a list of teams for whatever reason I can simply have

Adelaide
Hawthorn
Carlton
Richmond
Sydney
GWS

etc but whenever I get to the Bulldogs I have to call them "Western Bulldogs" despite no other team on the list needing their mascot in the name.
Whilst frustrating it's probably infinitely better than writing any of "Western Melbourne Bulldogs" or "Western Suburbs Bulldogs" etc etc.

Although working in sports I can completely understand, GWS always seems to get me too, it's either too long or too short.

Canberra and Darwin will never work for any AFL club.

For a multitude of reasons
Why couldn't Canberra? They have the population and the economy.

2030s-50s may be possible for the NT. The NT doesn't have enough people, but with a good media rights deal and sponsorship, they won't need to be that big to succeed (see Geelong). Player retention can be addressed with a good Indigenous-centric academy, and climate can also be addressed by playing early wet season games in Alice Springs and by having a closed roof stadium with cold rooms in Darwin.

Whilst frustrating it's probably infinitely better than writing any of "Western Melbourne Bulldogs" or "Western Suburbs Bulldogs" etc etc.

Although working in sports I can completely understand, GWS always seems to get me too, it's either too long or too short.

The weird thing about "Greater Western Sydney" is that prior to the AFL deciding to call the team that the term "Greater Western Sydney" tended to only get used in government reports. It wasn't something any local ever said.

The weird thing about "Greater Western Sydney" is that prior to the AFL deciding to call the team that the term "Greater Western Sydney" tended to only get used in government reports. It wasn't something any local ever said.
I thought they actually rebranded go just “Giants” or am I imagining that.

Why couldn't Canberra? They have the population and the economy.

2030s-50s may be possible for the NT. The NT doesn't have enough people, but with a good media rights deal and sponsorship, they won't need to be that big to succeed (see Geelong). Player retention can be addressed with a good Indigenous-centric academy, and climate can also be addressed by playing early wet season games in Alice Springs and by having a closed roof stadium with cold rooms in Darwin.

A big yeah ..nahhh to all you’ve suggested

Id rather a mid Victorian country side like “ Shepparton Vikings “ than Darwin or Canberra

Or Tassie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time around that’s why the Kangaroos name made sense. They were possibly looking to relocate.

But I think the Gold Coast thing showed that when push comes to shove, they won’t move.

Thats what makes this time so weird. What’s the point? Stick with NMFC.

I remember years ago Boomer Harvey went to North Melbourne Public School and of the 25 kids he was talking to in the class I don't think any of them supported North.
Is that a massive shock though? 25 isn't a big sample size, plus they are kids - they might not have a lot of interest in footy.

North Melbourne have a surprising amount of regional support in my experience - decent number of supporters in places like Ballarat and Gippsland.

Is that a massive shock though? 25 isn't a big sample size, plus they are kids - they might not have a lot of interest in footy.

North Melbourne have a surprising amount of regional support in my experience - decent number of supporters in places like Ballarat and Gippsland.

Not a massive shock but I remember when Harvey asked it and no kid raised their hand he laughed and said something like "come on, you go to North Melbourne Public School" or words to that effect.

First time around that’s why the Kangaroos name made sense. They were possibly looking to relocate.

But I think the Gold Coast thing showed that when push comes to shove, they won’t move.

Thats what makes this time so weird. What’s the point? Stick with NMFC.
I have no faith in the AFL, knowing them they'll end up getting North to Tassie when if they're gonna relocate I still think Canberra is the way to go. Then just keep it to 19 teams until the NT is ready. If that's not for another 30 years, so be it.

I have no faith in the AFL, knowing them they'll end up getting North to Tassie when if they're gonna relocate I still think Canberra is the way to go. Then just keep it to 19 teams until the NT is ready. If that's not for another 30 years, so be it.

The first AFL game I ever went to was a home game for North Melbourne at the SCG. My parents managed to get free tickets somehow and we went. I guess I was "this" close to becoming a North supporter back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back