Rumour Busted Internal documents reveal Kangaroos actively shifting away from "North Melbourne" name

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Zero Hanger can exclusively reveal that North Melbourne are actively distancing themselves from two key pillars of their rebirth as a football club 15 years ago.

Documents obtained by Zero Hanger show that, in a drastic shift in policy, North have quietly but gradually dialled down the prominence of the phrase “Shinboner Spirit” and the name “North Melbourne”, instead preferring to use “Fighting Spirit” and “Kangaroos” respectively in their place, in what is an eyebrow-raising case of history repeating.

But rather than making an announcement about the latest change in tack regarding their name preference, as was publicly done ahead of the 1999 season (albeit an official club name change on that occasion), this time around it has been done quietly and without any fanfare.

This was evident in North’s Round 12 match against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium. Instead of being referred to as “North Melbourne” on the scoreboard, they were referred to as “Kangaroos”. The smaller scoreboard even used the “KAN” abbreviation, instead of “NM”.

Huh? Haven't we been here before? And reclaiming NORTH MELBOURNE was a deliberate strategy?

It's like New Coke; they'll bring in the soulless re-brand, before reverting to the old name after a few years to rapturous applause.

Again.

Sort of like the Western Bulldogs. When I am making a list of teams for whatever reason I can simply have

Adelaide
Hawthorn
Carlton
Richmond
Sydney
GWS

etc but whenever I get to the Bulldogs I have to call them "Western Bulldogs" despite no other team on the list needing their mascot in the name.

Nice to see Ronny mansplain the article to the president of the club on Twitter after she replied shutting it down as BS.

Ronny telling the club Pres what's actually happening at her own club:

135.png

Nice to see Ronny mansplain the article to the president of the club on Twitter after she replied shutting it down as BS.

Would have been a good opportunity to treat the members with a bit of respect and not hide behind a keyboard when addressing issues. The CEO needs to have more of a presence as well. Basically invisible.

As a side note, at least there was a response that rebuffed the article straight up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus filthy, let us have our fun before you come bringing facts into it.

I just thought it was funny that he had no idea who she was.

Would have been a good opportunity to treat the members with a bit of respect and not hide behind a keyboard when addressing issues. The CEO needs to have more of a presence as well. Basically invisible.

As a side note, at least there was a response that rebuffed the article straight up.

She got into it pretty quickly I thought. It was very clickbaity.

Didn't Brad Scott turf out the shinboner spirit? Not sure why North are so uncomfortable with their heritage, but it says a little bit about the current issues at club management level.

Lol, an article by zero hangar is like an article by pedestrian. If anyone had any intellectual capabilities, they’d have done a quick Google search to see what the current logo is.

The North bashing is old enough as it is, without thoughtless tripe like this being fabricated. It may have been the case with our logo in 2007 and the well publicised battle to save the club from relocation, but anyone with a singular brain cell can see it’s not currently the case and 2 seconds of research can find that.

Could be worse, we could be having a club review at the same time as our 150th year celebrations - although, technically they weren’t playing for points one year so this is the 149th season (but why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh).

Attachments

• 5E28D680-228E-4FF4-A558-8218D72389E5.png
    5E28D680-228E-4FF4-A558-8218D72389E5.png
    7 KB · Views: 117
Didn't Brad Scott turf out the shinboner spirit? Not sure why North are so uncomfortable with their heritage, but it says a little bit about the current issues at club management level.
Mate the chairperson already quashed it.

Brad Scott poorly worded that he didn’t want any success put down to shinboner spirit. For all his faults he gets a bad rap on this issue

Not a great article title when the article states that the club stressed it's full name is "North Melbourne Kangaroos" after mostly pushing the "North Melbourne Football Club" brand over the past decade.

We're not shifting away from the "North Melbourne" name, we're shifting away from the "Football Club" name, which is pretty fitting given the s**t we've been serving up lately lol

Oh look, another negative North Melbourne main board thread..

Zzzzzz

Also Zero Hanger is an boring fan blog, much like The Roar, and should not be taken seriously.

North Melbourne Footy Club as a Vic based club will outlive/last as all, deal with it and try do better than try kick a struggling club when they are down (if you must, Essendon and West Coast deserve to cop it more)

Last edited:
I notice that Sonja didn't deny the claims made in the article, merely tried to play them down.

What I wouldn't give to go back to the days of Dallas Brooks Hall, JB (pre mankini / wonderwoman) and Euge.

We'll be lucky if 7,000 people turn up to watch the team get beaten by eight goals by GWS this weekend.

Our best player will be an 18yo kid who nobody could blame for going home on big $ at the end of his two-year contract.

There's so many problems with this club at the moment, it is fair to say a few long-term Members have already gone ECO mode.

With all of that said, OP supports the one club in the comp which is in an even sadder, sorrier state than North.

Imagine having to live through *gate. You poor buggers will never recover from that. I honestly feel bad for you.

Lol, an article by zero hangar is like an article by pedestrian. If anyone had any intellectual capabilities, they’d have done a quick Google search to see what the current logo is.

The North bashing is old enough as it is, without thoughtless tripe like this being fabricated. It may have been the case with our logo in 2007 and the well publicised battle to save the club from relocation, but anyone with a singular brain cell can see it’s not currently the case and 2 seconds of research can find that.

Could be worse, we could be having a club review at the same time as our 150th year celebrations - although, technically they weren’t playing for points one year so this is the 149th season (but why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh).

Could be worse yeah …like say a captain and legend of the game banging his vice captain’s missus senseless and it all comes out at a team bbq at said VC’s house…which sets off a chain reaction to completely destroy the fabric of the club including forever not having premiership reunions in case an all in brawl happens or worse ..no one turns up

Could be worse yeah …like say a captain and legend of the game banging his vice captain’s missus senseless and it all comes out at a team bbq at said VC’s house…which sets off a chain reaction to completely destroy the fabric of the club including forever not having premiership reunions in case an all in brawl happens or worse ..no one turns up

* was worse. Far, far worse.

And I say that as a Carlton supporter, with no shortage of scandals attached to our club (salary cap rorting).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back