Rumour Busted Internal documents reveal Kangaroos actively shifting away from "North Melbourne" name

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a massive shock but I remember when Harvey asked it and no kid raised their hand he laughed and said something like "come on, you go to North Melbourne Public School" or words to that effect.
Hopefully he converted a couple of kids that day.

Still surprises me no club decided to throw him a lifeline after he was pushed into retirement.

northern kangaroos, playing out of darwin, but maybe visiting cairns or broome occasionally.

its that or fold.

Canberra Kangaroos has a better ring to it. I'd prefer the NT, like Tassie, to have their own team, but NT may take decades. I don't think the competition ever needs more than 20 teams in it, but every state and territory should have a team. As you said, it's either Kangaroos fold or go to NT (but I'd consider the ACT). As I said, Canberra Kangaroos sounds good, and they've played in Canberra before. I think the NT should be called the Crocodiles, and their colours should be black, gold, and red, like the Indigenous flag.
I’d merge North Melbourne with Gold Coast. North colours and uniform, call them Northern or North Kangaroos, based on Gold Coast with heavy emphasis on the NT academies the Gold Coast have recently started and playing some home games in Darwin.

Keep the dozen Queenslanders already in the squad up there and add the best 15 of the rest from GC and the best 15 from NM to make initial squad.

Bring in TAS team at same time. Give all Tassie players currently playing AFL the option to sign up as a Free agent would regardless of contract status. Pick off the remainder of the players left from NM and GC lists who didn’t make the merged squad and give TAS the top 3 draft picks each year for their first three years, which they can trade if they want.

I’d merge North Melbourne with Gold Coast. North colours and uniform, call them Northern or North Kangaroos, based on Gold Coast with heavy emphasis on the NT academies the Gold Coast have recently started and playing some home games in Darwin.

Keep the dozen Queenslanders already in the squad up there and add the best 15 of the rest from GC and the best 15 from NM to make initial squad.

Bring in TAS team at same time. Give all Tassie players currently playing AFL the option to sign up as a Free agent would regardless of contract status. Pick off the remainder of the players left from NM and GC lists who didn’t make the merged squad and give TAS the top 3 draft picks each year for their first three years, which they can trade if they want.
It’s a good proposal but I do like the Suns brand. I think the advantage Canberra has is the market and economy and they’re a blank slate for a club brand. But this is still a well thought out suggestion.

Could be worse yeah …like say a captain and legend of the game banging his vice captain’s missus senseless and it all comes out at a team bbq at said VC’s house…which sets off a chain reaction to completely destroy the fabric of the club including forever not having premiership reunions in case an all in brawl happens or worse ..no one turns up
Can you stop with the needling of North supporters please.

Last edited:
Will survive as long as the rest of the comp don’t mind paying their way.

It’ll come to the crunch eventually when the big clubs have had enough of there being no genuine reward for being long term financially successful and viable.
im not sure that will be the breaking point tbh. its the crowds. If the roos were struggling because of whatever circumstance (though the docklands contract excuse is gone) but getting 30k crowds, then the clubs would be happy to support them as a valuable part of the league.

but right now they are averaging 14,700 attendance to home games. GWS is at 11,000, GC at 9450. The next worst is brisbane at 23,700, a massive 9000 more than north.

north arent a minnow club, theyre the equivalent of an expansion club. the other clubs will support a struggling club thats at least of a reasonable size. theyre not going to support an established club which is just on par with an expansion club, when theres no possibility of growth and there are other new areas footy can go to.

north fans, people (well victorian people at least) dont want your club to fold. but if you dont rock up, it will. if you want your club to survive, support it yourself, or else just enjoy what time remains as best you can.

im not sure that will be the breaking point tbh. its the crowds. If the roos were struggling because of whatever circumstance (though the docklands contract excuse is gone) but getting 30k crowds, then the clubs would be happy to support them as a valuable part of the league.

but right now they are averaging 14,700 attendance to home games. GWS is at 11,000, GC at 9450. The next worst is brisbane at 23,700, a massive 9000 more than north.

north arent a minnow club, theyre the equivalent of an expansion club. the other clubs will support a struggling club thats at least of a reasonable size. theyre not going to support an established club which is just on par with an expansion club, when theres no possibility of growth and there are other new areas footy can go to.

north fans, people (well victorian people at least) dont want your club to fold. but if you dont rock up, it will. if you want your club to survive, support it yourself, or else just enjoy what time remains as best you can.

…or accept that your club can be the big fish in a smaller pond at State level and enjoy decades of success in a more suitable setting.

but right now they are averaging 14,700 attendance to home games.

Didn't your club just get 20,000 to a home game at the MCG?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly i wonder if thats the intent of the afl long term, with their creation of the ridiculous interstate vfl competition

I’ve always thought they should embrace the prospect of a 2nd tier ‘semi-National’ comp (not a reserves comp or that bloated mess currently clobbered together) - small number of teams but including the likes of St Kilda, North, Tasmania, Top End/NT, Regional Vic, Regional NSW etc. Boutique stadiums, players on loan etc.

Call it the ‘AFL Championship’ or whatever. Would help them grow in the areas of the country that can’t support a top level ‘AFL Premiership’ team.

There could even be an FA Cup style opportunity with games against ‘top level’ teams.

Maybe viable within the next 20-30 years?

I’ve always thought they should embrace the prospect of a 2nd tier ‘semi-National’ comp (not a reserves comp or that bloated mess currently clobbered together) - small number of teams but including the likes of St Kilda, North, Tasmania, Top End/NT, Regional Vic, Regional NSW etc. Boutique stadiums, players on loan etc.

Call it the ‘AFL Championship’ or whatever. Would help them grow in the areas of the country that can’t support a top level ‘AFL Premiership’ team.

There could even be an FA Cup style opportunity with games against ‘top level’ teams.

Maybe viable within the next 20-30 years?
if they can make clubs like port melbourne, coburg and southport travel interstate for a seconds comp, then im sure it already is. i wouldnt split it from the reserves though, im not sure we can split the game into 3 levels over the whole country. afl teams still need a fully functioning reserves team, and who would pay attention to that competition in addition the the afl if their team isnt in it.

id just add the sanfl and wafl to the current 'vfl' as one big second tier comp. dont care if its 50 teams, id just use a conference style system like in the aflw with a combined ladder, and then have a finals series

Are these documents considered "internal" because the author of the article has pulled them out of their arse?

That's why this thread has a "rumour busted" tag on it (and it was moved from the main board). The club pres shot it down almost immediately.

It's really not that difficult to understand. It's basic market segmentation.

To kids or prospective fans, the phrase 'Shinboner Spirit' is obscure and potentially off-putting. So you taper the language to 'fighting spirit' to make it easier to understand.

To the hardcores who understand the club's culture, you continue to push Shinboner Spirit.

Ronny Lerner is a hack. Despite having more than a decade of experience in the industry and writing for a host of actual news outlets, he had to 'break' this on a blog no one reads.

If anyone of any consequence had any respect for him or his 'scoop', it would have made headlines elsewhere. Instead it didn't, because it and he are completely irrelevant.

The weird thing about "Greater Western Sydney" is that prior to the AFL deciding to call the team that the term "Greater Western Sydney" tended to only get used in government reports. It wasn't something any local ever said.
Permanent reminder of how out of touch the AFL is with the average person. I bet you any money they thought adding the "Greater" was going to have some big affect on those living further West. Ended up an ugly mouthful for absolutely no reason when they could have just been "Western Sydney" which is far neater and nicer.

We don’t have the talent for anymore teams, 18 is pushing it. St Kilda and Kangaroos should merge or fold. If they merge, we’ll have a team in Tassie and the St Kilda Kangaroos and if they fold, we’ll still get the Tassie team and a team in another non-Vic state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back