International Development

Remove this Banner Ad

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here is a statement from AFL QLD for 2018/19 who operate in a Rugby Code Heartland, where every new recruit is a big win as in the USA. It says that the growth up there is driven mainly by Schools and the Womens/Girls big increase in participation.
Why has Queensland the highest figures ? What can other organisations copy ?
In the USA, they promote "fitness through fun" and the possibility of representing your country.
Is it the draw of the AFLW ?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Why has Queensland the highest figures ? What can other organisations copy ?
In the USA, they promote "fitness through fun" and the possibility of representing your country.
Is it the draw of the AFLW ?
There must be some sort of appeal for girls initially because all of the other non football Womens Sports do ok up there.
Womens Rugby League is just getting really established and Womens Soccer, Womens Rugby are also there.
Girls/Women say they like the contact side of the game and the Community/Family aspect which does not exist at times to the same degree in other sports.
Did read getting into the QLD schools a while back is now paying dividends but that needs money and the good structure.

The US Sports market is very crowded and competitive for minor sports such as ours - Its tough going like the current USAFL is finding.

The draw of the AFLW- it is the top tier and is watched by the prospective market, and would have a pull factor but its the grassroots where the prospectives end up and have to be developed.
To the poster--AKA Red
You ask a lot of questions on these forums - Why not do some research and post articles.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You ask a lot of questions on these forums
I don't live in Queensland and I thought you posting on the subject that you might know something.
I'm still no wiser.
Younger demographic , better programs, less competition ?

Why not do some research and post articles.
Research ? I've travelled and met these clubs. I've played and umpired in many countries. I have written articles.
That's why I can say what I say with confidence.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I don't live in Queensland and I thought you posting on the subject that you might know something.
I'm still no wiser.
Younger demographic , better programs, less competition ?
The answer is in the AFL QLD statement -They have taken the game into many more schools- And re-organised the whole QLD set up there. The result is now obvious.

Research ? I've travelled and met these clubs. I've played and umpired in many countries. I have written articles.
That's why I can say what I say with confidence.
With all that experience it does not explain on this forum why you dont post here regularly.
If I did not post it would be a total wasteland most of the time.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
With all that experience it does not explain on this forum why you don't post here regularly.
Why don't I post here regularly ?
Well, Covid19 has quietened things down a lot but that is not the reason.
i would suggest that if you are serious about the development of Australian Football that you join a serious site.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
We are now well off topic and it looks like some "Serious" research is needed for here for the future - Very Very Seriously I might add.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are now well off topic .
Strange, you broached the subject of "research"

it looks like some "Serious" research is needed for here for the future
Then you further promote the idea of "research".

Very Very Seriously I might add.
Well it seems you are very much involved in the idea of "research". Good for you.
To me, it's not research, but involvement. Through involvement you get to know what's happening.
OK, one cannot travel and the International Cup has been delayed but there is still plenty of action.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Strange, you broached the subject of "research"

Then you further promote the idea of "research".

Well it seems you are very much involved in the idea of "research". Good for you.
To me, it's not research, but involvement. Through involvement you get to know what's happening.
OK, one cannot travel and the International Cup has been delayed but there is still plenty of action.
The title of this thread the last time I looked is International Development and you have still not posted anything relevant to that topic. Stay on topic.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The title of this thread the last time I looked is International Development and you have still not posted anything relevant to that topic. Stay on topic.
Ya , Ich woll mein Bestes geben mein Forscher oder ist das mein Moderator ?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Ya , Ich woll mein Bestes geben mein Forscher oder ist das mein Moderator ?
Its getting very serious now from a member of a mysterious unnamed serious International Footy group. That group talk about footy seriously and do not do any serious research because they do not know how to because they are so serious. And they use the German language as a serious secret code from the Fatherland.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its getting very serious now from a member of a mysterious unnamed serious International Footy group. That group talk about footy seriously and do not do any serious research because they do not know how to because they are so serious. And they use the German language as a serious secret code from the Fatherland.
I'd say, tell me more but I'm afraid you've gone completely off topic.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some time ago I did extensive research on Australian Football's (organic) development across the world.
The results for that were a little underwhelming as there was found to be no one "magic bullet" for success.
The conditions and environment differed widely across the the world and even between regions.
What worked in one region didn't transfer to another region etc.
One aspect that I found interesting was the role of community/local government/government in sports development.
This had the largest and widest differences.
Sports in most countries need a national body to start to receive any help.
Sports in some countries need a participation level to receive significant help.
Some AFCs have been able to get football ovals included in community plans.
Funding for large tournaments has been refined with some countries doing extremely well.
Getting to know your local environment is extremely important for long term development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Continuing on about the research i did some time again was a question of need, a wish list in effect.
Of course many wanted AFL help, read money, but many had realistic demands.
Europe was reasonably happy as it had acquired development officers and had benefitted from a goal posts grant.
The outstanding desire was from the USA that was, and still is, crying out for development officers.
Many clubs/leagues suggested achieving higher profile through exhibition games
however these are extremely expensive and quite ineffective without continuing investment.
Probably the most important lessen to be learned w.r.t. investment is that it is adequately followed up with support..

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
One big change since I did a widespread survey is the development of links to educational institutions with school competitions.
There were only a handful of examples back then and though the football community deemed school involvement desirable
few football people had the resources to go down this path.
There was one high profile person championing the cause of this type of involvement and was asking for AFL assistance in that regard.
There was debate about the viability and the cost benefit ratio of this approach.
With the passage of time, some great school competitions have emerged showing that this is truly a great investment.

Aucklander

The Ultimate Warrior
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Have only just stumbled across this. Will pop down and take in a few games.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Easily the biggest development in Australian Football is the absolute explosion of women's Australian Football around the world. There doesn't seem to be orchestrated reason except for the creation of AFLW. Clubs/leagues were asked there attitudes to various possibilities. Most stated women's Australian Football would be a good addition to their club but none stated it would be a priority or they actually had plans to implement such a desire.
It does seem that the the creation of AFLW has sent a message around the world - that a woman can play football, more interesting than soccer, represent their country and if they're good enough - make some money. The pathway for women is so much more attainable for women. they have a good chance of playing AFLW whilst it is extremely competitive in getting to the AFL.
The GAA has women playing and one wonders if the difference in take up is in fact due to the possibility of professionalism.
Maybe it's just that Australia is a warmer destination than Ireland.

Remove this Banner Ad