International Development

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
This article gives food for thought for future TV deals. Browsing around different websites it appears the general opinion is that the next TV deal maybe halved - We repeat maybe, and this view is offset by the demand for live TV sport globally.
What has this got to do with International Footy - Well I thought perhaps with the current Rivers of Gold TV Deal AFL House may increase funding considerably.
Then again it maybe CH7 preparing the financial world (Incl the AFL) for future profit downgrades etc etc, with tough times ahead.

Anybody else care to make some comments.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-media-reports-745m-loss-20170815-gxx2uo.html

I think most of us accept that the current six year deal represents the final payday from FTA (in fact, the STV and digital component combined is greater than the FTA component already).

So what FTA offers in the future will halve, but that doesn't necessarily mean the total broadcast deal halves.

Expect new digital players in six years time wanting a cut of the action, vying with some form of STV, and add to that the AFL's capacity to hold onto some form of digital rights to market to consumers directly.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think most of us accept that the current six year deal represents the final payday from FTA (in fact, the STV and digital component combined is greater than the FTA component already).

So what FTA offers in the future will halve, but that doesn't necessarily mean the total broadcast deal halves.

Expect new digital players in six years time wanting a cut of the action, vying with some form of STV, and add to that the AFL's capacity to hold onto some form of digital rights to market to consumers directly.

Current contribution to the new deal that has commenced this year is $900 million out of $2.5 billion...so just 36 of the total media rights

I think we can assume that there will be some ongoing combination of FTA and subscription under the next rights deal in 2023 onwards.....given the rate of technology change, this could take many forms. It wouldn't surprise me if some big digital company like google / facebook or amazon sees an opportunity

It is prudent for the AFL to plan on the assumption of a stagnating rights deal but its certainly not an inevitability

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
This article gives food for thought for future TV deals. Browsing around different websites it appears the general opinion is that the next TV deal maybe halved - We repeat maybe, and this view is offset by the demand for live TV sport globally.
What has this got to do with International Footy - Well I thought perhaps with the current Rivers of Gold TV Deal AFL House may increase funding considerably.
Then again it maybe CH7 preparing the financial world (Incl the AFL) for future profit downgrades etc etc, with tough times ahead.

Anybody else care to make some comments.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-media-reports-745m-loss-20170815-gxx2uo.html
I think a more realistic view is it will be flat. It seems past deals extrapolated optimistically into the future, and this has burnt them.

I am also extremely puzzled by people's optimisum re streaming. I think the amounts available from streaming services will be a fraction of fta and sat tv.

Streaming represents a way for niche sports to get viewers, and a bit of welcome cash. If the AFL ever needs to rely on streaming as a revenue source, it is ****ed as a pro sport. Couldn't see anyone like YouTube or Google paying even 100 mill for it.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Agree, so stupid given alignment with the IC17 and the second season. Why not create a a rookie spot for each club?

From watching part of the women's GF, how could Aimee Legault not be in the best 200 odd players going around?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
There used to be a sports visa, which is now closed. To come to Australia for sports, there is a Temporary Activity Visa subclass ... that covers sports, entertainment, government activities, religious work, research projects etc.

Amongst eligibility requirements are, being supported or sponsored.
If it is for an event, eg a specific tournament, its only valid for 3 months.
If it is for an activity, but not for a government activity, then its 2 years.
If you are unpaid, then I assume you could get a visitor visa instead.
If you are young, then a backpacker type visa that allows work would probably be OK, but to extend to 2 years, you need to work in regional Australia.

I suspect there are ways around it for high profile sports people, but they are not going to apply to minimally paid AFLW rookies.
I saw Mason Cox gets deported if his Collingwood contract isn't renewed.

Kendra Heil the Canadian is here on a partners visa. Katie Klatt will have to leave, either early next year, or the year after, depending on her visa.

So I suspect people telling the AFL they need to have international rookie spots first need to tell them how this could be done to any practical purpose.

The only way, and perhaps someone can answer this, is if the Temporary Activity visa can be rolled over, like the backpackers cannot be.

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
It's a good point about visas.

I note there are quite a few semi-pro soccer clubs (at state league level) who bring over 3rd rate players from overseas, and they wouldn't be earning a hell of a lot.
Even suburban baseball clubs do the same thing, but that was a while ago.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The sort of thing they need to do. They do need to find a way to transition players to full size footy

North America virtually invented 9-a-side football. That is not new, either is Major League Footy - banner and logo.
What is new is the association with AFI and the apparent addition of some clubs under construction in a 13 team league.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
North America virtually invented 9-a-side football. That is not new, either is Major League Footy - banner and logo.
What is new is the association with AFI and the apparent addition of some clubs under construction in a 13 team league.
Very interesting.
Is this the first time in the world that organised team AF has been played on a field of only 100 yard -c.90 mtrs.?
As there are numerous bigger soccer fields in the US, what were the reasons that such a small field was selected for this 9's game?
A lot of coast to coast shoot-outs (even inexperienced players can do 2 kicks of c. 45 mtrs)?
I noticed Brian Clarke was the umpire -he had the main role in inventing this version?

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is this the first time in the world that organised team AF has been played on a field of only 100 yard -c.90 mtrs.?

I know of other promotional games at half time. etc.

As there are numerous bigger soccer fields in the US, what were the reasons that such a small field was selected for this 9's game?

American Football fields are the smallest of the rectangular grounds w.r.t. width as all the grounds are 100m. long.
Usually extra width can be found. A lot of clubs look to amalgamate two grounds and run diagonal.

I noticed Brian Clarke was the umpire -he had the main role in inventing this version?

Yes. There is the AFI logo and the rules.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Very interesting.
A lot of coast to coast shoot-outs (even inexperienced players can do 2 kicks of c. 45 mtrs)?
There are other places organised around local metro style 9 a side leagues, with those sides coming together to make 18 a side teams for playing other cities. Not sure what their fields are though.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which provinces DONT play Australian Football ?

map_pol.jpg

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Ha Ha I had flashbacks when I read the article above - Clarkey as he was known as never gives up in his promotions of International Footy.
I thought he had retired not out from the game, and returned to Lawyering.
The big political footy question is what will the USAFL do considering their negative article in The Guardian from their President. Probably nothing in fact and they should feed of the new comp, if they can but will it affect their AFL Affiliation agreement.
Have only one comment about the article - Show me the money. Who is backing him.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clarkey as he was known as never gives up in his promotions of International Footy.

For that he has to be applauded.

The big political footy question is what will the USAFL do considering their negative article in The Guardian from their President.

Who reads the guardian.

Show me the money. Who is backing him.

Smoke and mirrors really. Existing teams+ development teams+new.
He's formalized teams into a comp plus maybe some sponsorship.
Of course the proof is in the pudding.
At the IC17 Brian said to expect something big.
Of course this formalized presentation of a "new" sport just might catch the fancy.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think a more realistic view is it will be flat. It seems past deals extrapolated optimistically into the future, and this has burnt them.

Who's "them" ?

I am also extremely puzzled by people's optimisum re streaming. I think the amounts available from streaming services will be a fraction of fta and sat tv.

Streaming of the IC17 was an outstanding success. Hopefully something can be leveraged off of this result.

If the AFL ever needs to rely on streaming as a revenue source, it is ****** as a pro sport. Couldn't see anyone like YouTube or Google paying even 100 mill for it.

The reality is that FTA TV is very much under threat and live sports helps it survive.
Structured services like FTA and Pay TV are totally under threat from streaming services. Netflix produces some of it's own content.
Streaming services are now under threat from content providers establishing their own services. e.g. Disney exiting Netflix.
The FUTURE of professional sports is seen in streaming. Only the anti-siphoning laws will keep some sport on FTA.
Both the AFL and NRL have seen this for while and have been positioning themselves.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Who's "them" ?

Streaming of the IC17 was an outstanding success. Hopefully something can be leveraged off of this result.

The reality is that FTA TV is very much under threat and live sports helps it survive.
Structured services like FTA and Pay TV are totally under threat from streaming services. Netflix produces some of it's own content.
Streaming services are now under threat from content providers establishing their own services. e.g. Disney exiting Netflix.
The FUTURE of professional sports is seen in streaming. Only the anti-siphoning laws will keep some sport on FTA.
Both the AFL and NRL have seen this for while and have been positioning themselves.
Them is the TV networks, that pay for premium sport content, but the pressure advertising revenue streams are under is making it harder than expected to cover those outlays.

I agree that streaming is great. Worked wonders for the IC17, but how much did they make from that streaming. It's great as a consumer, I can stream all sorts of niche sports and small events, all of whom make almost nothing from it.

The question is, if income from TV rights collapse, can streaming make up the shortfall. I do not think so, especially as at some point, widespread streaming cuts into the value of the rights to FTA and pay, and further drives down income from those sports.

Think major streamers in the future are likely to be companies like Google, Facebook etc. Those companies will be looking at global content and may well view AFL as to local and niche for them to go after.

If it does it itself, 1 000 000 subscribers paying $10 a month = $120 million a year, however what are the fta and pay rights worth if there are that many streaming? It could easily cost the AFL more than that.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Them is the TV networks, that pay for premium sport content, but the pressure advertising revenue streams are under is making it harder than expected to cover those outlays.

Hard Yes, but not if you pick the right sports.

I agree that streaming is great. Worked wonders for the IC17,

Because of the possible LEVERAGE. Please read answers before you reply.

The question is, if income from TV rights collapse, can streaming make up the shortfall.

That's what media analysts are looking at. "LIVE" is the big attraction.

Think major streamers in the future are likely to be companies like Google, Facebook etc.

Again, pay attention. The industry is moving towards independent suppliers. AFL and NRL are already setup.

If it does it itself, 1 000 000 subscribers paying $10 a month = $120 million a year, however what are the fta and pay rights worth if there are that many streaming?

Ask the AFL and NRL. It could easily make the AFL more than that.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
For that he has to be applauded.

Who reads the guardian.

Smoke and mirrors really. Existing teams+ development teams+new.
He's formalized teams into a comp plus maybe some sponsorship.
Of course the proof is in the pudding.
At the IC17 Brian said to expect something big.
Of course this formalized presentation of a "new" sport just might catch the fancy.
You continually down grade the Guardian article - Who Reads The Guardian you said.
Well I can tell you - We knew about it and the IC17 Community would have known about it and it came from a leading International Footy country.
The author was the President of the USAFL no less but you discount him completely- Why - I suspect because he does not meet your criteria in one way or another.
He laid out his comments deliberately to coincide for IC17 and emphasised the word "Insular" to describe the AFL International Footy development program.
Perhaps that word is too close to home for you.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You continually down grade the Guardian article - Who Reads The Guardian you said.

I've only seen the Guardian as an online aberration from the U.K.

Well I can tell you - We knew about it and the IC17 Community .

It only takes one person.

it came from a leading International Footy country.

Sorry, I thought it came from the U.S.A.

He laid out his comments deliberately to coincide for IC17 and emphasised the word "Insular" to describe the AFL International Footy development program.

And it was a completely amateurish attempt, sloppily written, very inaccurate, nothing new and nothing specific.

Perhaps that word is too close to home for you.

Yes, I do believe that USAFL is much too insular for it's own good.

Back