Travel International Flight

Remove this Banner Ad

* Buy a bottle of water or another drink once you are through - once you are through security, you can buy liquids more than 100ml but not before (stupid I know). Never assume you will get a bottle of water on the flight.

It's because all liquids behind the security gates have been vetted before they come in, so theoretically security can be sure the bottle of water is not nitroglycerine.

If you wanted to smuggle something on board a flight, I reckon that would be the way to do it - slipping it into the stock for the shops somehow.

It's because all liquids behind the security gates have been vetted before they come in, so theoretically security can be sure the bottle of water is not nitroglycerine.

If you wanted to smuggle something on board a flight, I reckon that would be the way to do it - slipping it into the stock for the shops somehow.

In some places, flights to a certain country require a secondary security screening on the jetbridge prior to boarding the aircraft. I know that flights to Australia from Hong Kong undergo a secondary security screening, so that even bottles of water bought airside will not be allowed on board the aircraft. I believe New Zealand flights to the United States also require a secondary security screen.

There is a new thing they are doing in America apparently where if you buy a drink in the "secure" area, they come up to you and ask if they can test it. With some kind of magic strip that they wave over the top of the bottle and then use distilled water to get a reaction on the strip if you have a explosive substance in there.

A) It sounds like science-fiction that you can just wave a test strip over the top of something to get the "fumes" (if there are any) and have it be effective in anyway.

B) If someone else touched my bottle of drink that I bought in a supposedly secure area, I would say to them take it and go buy me another one. I don't know where you have been. Or I would just skol it and give them the empty bottle and say thanks for disposing of this dangerous item for me.

Great thread.

I'm off to London next Thursday from Melbourne on Royal Brunei. I'm told it's not a bad flight except cannot drink alcohol. I'm told Brunei Airport is tiny as but I'm only there for a couple of hours.

Can anyone confirm how it works landing it Dubai? Is it true you don't get off the plane?

My scariest thing is I've never travelled internationally before, and have to come to grips with the following trips:

* Melb - London LHR
* LHR - Dubrovnik
* Budapest to Ibiza stop over for 4 hours in Milan
* Ibiza to London Gatwick
* LHR to Melbourne

The scariest is Budapest -> Ibiza via Milan as it is two different airlines, so if the early one is delayed by too much I'm screwed!

Yes, Perth airport is dreadful.

I got stuck there last week due to thick fog. No problem with the decision to stop planes landing as the fog was very very thick, but we had already gone through so were stuck in the transit area with only 2 options for food which were pizzas or sanwiches. Singapore Airlines gave us meal vouchers to use at these outlets along with a note apologising for the lack of quality available ! Still better than the poor people that did not land and were diverted to Learmonth (Exmouth). Because there are no customs officers in Exmouth, everybody had to stay on the plane for about 6 hours on the tarmac.

My main advice for anybody travelling is to be patient. Allow yourself enough time and do not get woried about being in queues.

Great thread.

I'm off to London next Thursday from Melbourne on Royal Brunei. I'm told it's not a bad flight except cannot drink alcohol. I'm told Brunei Airport is tiny as but I'm only there for a couple of hours.

Can anyone confirm how it works landing it Dubai? Is it true you don't get off the plane?

My scariest thing is I've never travelled internationally before, and have to come to grips with the following trips:

* Melb - London LHR
* LHR - Dubrovnik
* Budapest to Ibiza stop over for 4 hours in Milan
* Ibiza to London Gatwick
* LHR to Melbourne

The scariest is Budapest -> Ibiza via Milan as it is two different airlines, so if the early one is delayed by too much I'm screwed!
Scary? What concerns you about it?

Missing flights I suppose.. and being stuck in a country that I know * all about..

Missing flights I suppose.. and being stuck in a country that I know **** all about..
Hungary is not that bad. My mum and dad were there the other year and they did not know the language or anything and they enjoyed themselves there and never got in trouble at all. And there's nothing wrong with Spain. Dubrovnik and Croatia in general, I don't know much about and it scares me a little bit, just the history of the country.

But it is probably just as safe as anywhere else.

Yeah I'm just being a little bitch, I know it's going to be the best fun I've ever had!

When you touch down in a third world country, make sure you applaud the pilot.

Well I already mentioned my long travel back. It turned into over 60 hours after a flight got cancelled leaving me stuck in China for over a day. Really bad when you dont know whats going on and nobody speaks proper English. Honourable mention to the rat that made it into the terminal. Security doing a good job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to get to Barcelona T2 for a late flight back to Edinburgh. They only had one eatery, a magazine shop (where I had a wonderful conversation with the lady who worked there who thought I knew more Spanish than I actually do) and a couple of high priced speciality shops that bored me to tears. I had an hour and a half to kill and I was able to successfully kill about 15 minutes of it. Safe to say it wasn't fun.....except for the weird conversation.

I always get to an airport early and manage to find ways to kill time, but when i've flown out from a few of the small airports like Aberdeen, Bergen, Dortmund etc it just seems impossible to kill time and it just drags out longer. They're the same as that Barcelona T2... 1 eatery, a magazine shop and 2 or 3 at the most specialty shops. Nightmare.

Probably too late for this but how tall are you? If over six foot and it is long haul, get the best seat/bed you can afford because it kills your legs just sitting around. Go for heaps of walks when they let you and spend some time standing. Also don't f*** around in other countries customs areas, particularly middle east and asia. They don't get the joke. Sleep, movies and music are your best friends. A drink doesn't hurt either....it should be free.

Royal Brunei I'm on tomorrow, doesn't allow alcohol - doh!
Also, reports of strike action at Heathrow in the next couple of days, means processing is going to take a while!

I selected seat 71D on the A380 flying LA to Sydney. Pretty sure it was only $20 and it's an aisle seat with no seat in front of it. Winnner.

In-flight Wi-Fi is starting to (pun not intended) take off now which makes long flights more bearable. Predictably Qantas see it as a way to extract more money from customers rather than an additional service ($12.50 for 10MB, c'mon it's 2012...) but competition from other carriers should drive it down.

if youre taking two carry on bags with you dont be one of those pricks that put them both in the overhead bins (despite specifically being instructed not to) leaving no room for the people who board later.

**** those people piss me off.
Conversely, dont be one of those people who gets on last, and then gets angry because there is no room for their carry-on.

Conversely, dont be one of those people who gets on last, and then gets angry because there is no room for their carry-on.

Someone has to be last. They can;t open up the side of the plane and magically march everyone on board side-by-side.

The people that take on board more than 1 carry-on luggage should check that s**t in to be stowed below or suffer by putting it at their feet. Why should the ones near the end have to suffer cause some clowns are trying to hog all the overhead compartments?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back