Socceroos International Friendlies Australia V New Zealand

It was against an average side with nothing to play for but Kuol and Cummings need to go over to Qatar.

Makes the squad selection interesting at the very least. Doubt many would have seen Kuol at all either.

Nothing to play for?

Last international outing before we head over to a World Cup.

That’s hardly nothing to play for.
I said New Zealand had nothing to play for, not us.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
He probably will be picked to go to the WC but i thought Leckie was pretty ordinary . I'd take Kuol over him . Apart from that i still think Arnold probably already knows who the 26 are ,he is just hoping they get there without injuries .

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
He probably will be picked to go to the WC but i thought Leckie was pretty ordinary . I'd take Kuol over him . Apart from that i still think Arnold probably already knows who the 26 are ,he is just hoping they get there without injuries .
Looks like he's lost a lot of pace if I am honest.

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Leckie looked pretty much done in last years A-League. Been a great servant but with Mabil, Boyle, Kuol he should be a squad player at very best these days.

Geez Kuol has some stuff. Very similar to Arzani at the same age, let’s hope he goes on with it a bit better.

If Kuol and Cummings don’t make the squad Arnold should be sacked before we board the plane.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Leckie looked pretty much done in last years A-League. Been a great servant but with Mabil, Boyle, Kuol he should be a squad player at very best these days.

Geez Kuol has some stuff. Very similar to Arzani at the same age, let’s hope he goes on with it a bit better.

If Kuol and Cummings don’t make the squad Arnold should be sacked before we board the plane.
Stand by for James Troisi to be picked.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldn't be averse to blooding more than a few of these guys in the WC. Realistically we're 0 chance to make it out of our group with our "A" team. So why not use the chance to show off some of our young stars in the WC for potential overseas moves. The sooner guys like Tillio, Kuol, Metcalfe are in top leagues in Europe the better our chances are in 4 years. GA just needs them playing attacking/exciting football. I'd rather lose 4-2 than 2-0.

My starting 11 would be (keeping youth in mind)

GK: Langerak/Redmayne/Ryan

DEF: Deng, Souttar, Atkinson, King

Mid: Genreau, Metcalfe, Mcgree, Hrustic

FW: Mabil, Boyle

Subs: Kuol, Mooy, Tillio, McLaren, Dagastino, Arzani, Behich, Rowles, Degenek.

We gotta break this downward spiral somehow. Would rather us be exciting and lose than boring and lose. Get some more eyes on our youth from overseas/top leagues scouts.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What's the opposite of a Golden Generation?

Sometimes I watch the A League and thing if circumstances were different I could have competed at that level. Never thought I'd think the same about the national team.

Leigh Broxham a real chance for a call up at this rate.

Arnold sucks but I do think it is a minor miracle he has got the squad to the world cup.

Clayton Zane would be like 50 but probably more chance he could score against France again than any of our current 9s.

Realistically our squad probably breaks down into:

3 keepers (Ryan/Langerak/Redmayne)
2 right backs (Karacic/Deng)
2 left backs (Behich/King)
4 centre halves (Degenek/Souttar/Wright/Sainsbury)
4 central mids (McGree/Mooy/Genreau/???)
2 central attacking mids (Irvine/Rogic)
4 wingers (Mabil/Boyle/Hrustic/Kuol)
2 strikers (Maclaren/Cummings)

I still think a 3-4-3 is the best formation but we seem to be keen on going for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 as the formation. The last central mid is probably Metcalfe but I'm still unconvinced by him. As that works out as an XI:

Ryan
Karacic - Souttar - Degenek - Behich
McGree - Mooy
Hrustic - Rogic - Boyle
Maclaren
I'd still favour a 3-4-3 with Rogic or Irvine as a false 9 but we won't do that.

Back