Autopsy International games, why ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I just dont get why it seems to be accepted reasoning we should be looking to play AFL games overseas.

I'm not necessarily opposed if Port and the Suns want to play in China. Our club has shown some interest in playing a game with the Tigers in India. It was qualified with if some hurdles can be overcome. I assume that to be who gives up a home game.

In all of the discussions I see a lot of it's a great idea, but although I've tried I haven't seen any sound arguments why. It always seems to come down to cos we can.

I'm not aware of any serious intent to locate AFL teams overseas, and frankly as that must mean giving up national control of the game over time, I am opposed.

It'd be great to have standalone serious competitions in other countries and to be able to have genuine international test matches, but that doesn't seem to be a serious intent either.

So I return to why? Maybe I'm missing something.

I just dont get why it seems to be accepted reasoning we should be looking to play AFL games overseas.

I'm not necessarily opposed if Port and the Suns want to play in China. Our club has shown some interest in playing a game with the Tigers in India. It was qualified with if some hurdles can be overcome. I assume that to be who gives up a home game.

In all of the discussions I see a lot of it's a great idea, but although I've tried I haven't seen any sound arguments why. It always seems to come down to cos we can.

I'm not aware of any serious intent to locate AFL teams overseas, and frankly as that must mean giving up national control of the game over time, I am opposed.

It'd be great to have standalone serious competitions in other countries and to be able to have genuine international test matches, but that doesn't seem to be a serious intent either.

I think they are just following the NFL's lead (again) & there must be a bit of coin in it but not the multi millions that club & AFL officials would like us to believe because, to put it simply, why would there be?

Firstly, people didn't understand why we needed an AFL all those years ago. Now they look back and realise that in order to get big stadiums and footy on TV all the time, it had to happen. If it didn't, the VFL would have most likely just have been a suburban comp with amatuer's playing it now, with most clubs gone broke and no longer in existence.
Sometimes you've got to get the ball rolling slowly, so in 50 years you don't look back and think 's**t man, if only they'd kicked this off back then....'.

Secondly, is the AFL's current model sustainable? Can they continue to foot the bill for 18 clubs when over half of them run at a loss every year? With pokies being pushed out and gambling sponsorship money being targeted too, can the AFL's trickle down economic strategy keep going? With TV throwing money these days at the cricket, the NRL, more and more USA sports being shown here - and even the netball and WNBL getting TV deals - can the AFL rely on getting massive increases at every TV rights deal?

Do they need more markets to put money in? I'd probably think the answer is yes.

Firstly, people didn't understand why we needed an AFL all those years ago. Now they look back and realise that in order to get big stadiums and footy on TV all the time, it had to happen. If it didn't, the VFL would have most likely just have been a suburban comp with amatuer's playing it now, with most clubs gone broke and no longer in existence.

Is the AFL's current model sustainable? Can they foot the bill for 18 clubs when over half of them run at a loss every year? With pokies being pushed out and gambling sponsorship money being targeted too, can the AFL's trickle down economic strategy keep going?

Do they need more markets to put money in? I'd probably think the answer is yes.
How will playing overseas games increase the market? I've seen a similar argument put many times, but if it was a business case you'd dismiss it as having no projected outcome.

How will playing overseas games increase the market? I've seen a similar argument put many times, but if it was a business case you'd dismiss it as having no projected outcome.

I'm no expert, but....

Similar to playing State of Origin at the MCG. It exposes the product to new audiences.

If they like, they watch it. If they watch it, TV networks can get them as viewers. If they get more viewers, they sell more ads, etc. etc. etc.

If a Chinese TV network or an Indian TV network bought rights to show games over there, it could mean big dough for the AFL.

Obviously it doesn't always work - but why wouldn't you try?

Pretty sure it was Port and Kochies idea. I remember hearing Kochie talk about it and from memory they played a few replayed matches of Port on TV in china and got decent views so because there is so many people they seen potential for $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because AFL.

FWIW a lot of codes around the world play games in other countries.

Not that Im necessarily on board with the AFL doing it, but its hardly a novel concept.
But they have real interest in these places and sellout 80,000 seat stadiums without issue. The AFL need to giveaway tickets and get expats to rock up.

But they have real interest in these places and sellout 80,000 seat stadiums without issue. The AFL need to giveaway tickets and get expats to rock up.
Theyve done it for one year. Its also still a very Aus-focussed game. It will take time to generate other countries interest.

I wouldnt do it necessarily or want my club to do it, but I can see why the clubs and AFL are giving it a chance.

I'm no expert, but....

Similar to playing State of Origin at the MCG. It exposes the product to new audiences.

If they like, they watch it. If they watch it, TV networks can get them as viewers. If they get more viewers, they sell more ads, etc. etc. etc.

If a Chinese TV network or an Indian TV network bought rights to show games over there, it could mean big dough for the AFL.

Obviously it doesn't always work - but why wouldn't you try?
There is an NRL team in Melbourne and marketing the game there makes sense to me from their point of view. I have to say I've not seen any evidence of big revenue though. When College football has been played at ANZ it wasn't broadcast on FTA. It seems to me it would be easy to confirm prior to comitting to overseas games. Does anyone have last years revenue figures or projected figures for this year. I can't locate any.

Theyve done it for one year. Its also still a very Aus-focussed game. It will take time to generate other countries interest.

I wouldnt do it necessarily or want my club to do it, but I can see why the clubs and AFL are giving it a chance.
They played a couple in New Zealand a few years ago. They also had the end of season London games various years since the 80s along with games in the USA.

The AFL has made many stabs at expanding overseas (remember St Kilda playing in Wellington?). There seems to be quite a bit of money around this attempt so it is probably be more sustainable.

It's a long-term exercise. If it works the Shanghai game will become an annual event like HK Rugby Sevens, Port will pick up some extra sponsors and fans, the AFL will have a beachhead to compete against NBA, soccer, rugby, and other teams may be able to replicate in other China markets, Guangzhou/Shenzhen, Beijing, Chongqing etc.

China is an expanding sporting market so it makes sense for AFL to do this. But AFL is a hard sell overseas. It requires a big ground and doesn't have the recognition of any of the big global sports.

Plus it doesn't help if the game involves the Suns, possibly this week without May, Day and Lynch.

The AFL has made many stabs at expanding overseas (remember St Kilda playing in Wellington?). There seems to be quite a bit of money around this attempt so it is probably be more sustainable.

It's a long-term exercise. If it works the Shanghai game will become an annual event like HK Rugby Sevens, Port will pick up some extra sponsors and fans, the AFL will have a beachhead to compete against NBA, soccer, rugby, and other teams may be able to replicate in other China markets, Guangzhou/Shenzhen, Beijing, Chongqing etc.

China is an expanding sporting market so it makes sense for AFL to do this. But AFL is a hard sell overseas. It requires a big ground and doesn't have the recognition of any of the big global sports.

Plus it doesn't help if the game involves the Suns, possibly this week without May, Day and Lynch.
Would they pick up sponsors of Chinese companies looking to promote themselves in China?
Surely Chinese companies in Australia would make a business decision on their marketing budget in Australia.

There could be a great sport in China that nobody here has heard about until the Chinese brought their game here for an exhibition, Australian audiences thought it was amazing and it kicked off a following here.

Long term would be to have a truly international game, a Chinese team with 10,000,000 fans and sponsorship deals so lucrative that all their players are making an extra $500,000 on the side while the TV deal for the AFL is x10 and the players in Australia are making $500,000 straight from the draft.

I think the clubs should have vetoed the AFL decision to allow GC to play home games in China, the reason we have gone through the pain of recent expansion was to play 11 games on the gold coast and 11 games in western sydney, we have GC selling home games now and gws had to sell a massive wad of games to ACT.

What is it, 9 years now for GC? They were meant to be financially independent after 10 years, they needed an extra $10m last year to stay afloat. This wasn't the basis for how the expansion was pitched to the other clubs.

Would they pick up sponsors of Chinese companies looking to promote themselves in China?
Surely Chinese companies in Australia would make a business decision on their marketing budget in Australia.

One part is hospitality sponsorship. Take your clients to the footy, in Shanghai and in Oz.

But thanks to Port doing this, one game a week during the season has been broadcast on FTA in Shanghai, Shandong and Guangzhou. That is a vote of confidence in last year's game (shown on a single cable channel I think).
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-04-04/chinese-television-broadcast

Port's main sponsor is Oak Plus, so this gives them an entree to a pretty sizeable Chinese consumer market (about 200m people).

So there are a lot of the pieces in place. But it only works if they can sustain over a number of years. Hopefully the Suns put up a fight this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back