International Participation 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
26fIWdc.png

mIqj5al.png

Ah statistics. I like statistics. What does it all mean?
AFL Canada posted something similar about participation in Canada not so long ago.
In that post they stated that participation was 20k with AussieX having something like 50k.
Also I thought participation in N.Z. was 20k going on 25k not 17k. not to worry.
Anyway what does it all mean?
Canada now has great participation and the best domestic league outside of Australia yet
it still cannot beat the U.S.A. with one tenth of the participation in that country and
with their teams and leagues spread across the countryside.
Also the effect of AussieX unfortunately seems to be unmeasurable.
With the PNG at 70k and the RSA at 34k I'd have thought we'd see more attempts at recruiting
if not by AFL at least by second tier leagues.
I love statistics but the AFL is fooling themselves if they don't produce meaningful breakdowns.
By that I mean, what percentage participants do/are likely to go on and become involved in the game
in a competitive truly manner.

Have to say I am in a state of shock with Wookies posting above.
Did not think this kind of stuff would ever appear, and these figures were regular annual fare up until circa 2007, and then mysteriously stopped.

Have to say I am in a state of shock with Wookies posting above.
Did not think this kind of stuff would ever appear, and these figures were regular annual fare up until circa 2007, and then mysteriously stopped.

Im not sure they will be in the annual report or that they were meant to be public. AFL Asia posted them and im not sure they were supposed to.

Im not sure they will be in the annual report or that they were meant to be public. AFL Asia posted them and im not sure they were supposed to.
I tend to agree but we are never sure in these things whether they are an internal document only for affiliated Leagues or not now.

Off topic but related to International Footy.
The current Footy TV rights run until 2022 which everybody is aware of.
However from 2023 there is much speculation who will be awarded them.
Well the veil has been lifted sort of- From none another than the AFL CEO.
In some very candid comments recently Gil has revealed the following.
Several International Media Giants have approached AFL House this year declaring a big interest in obtaining those rights.
Speculation the Giants were Amazon, Prime and Facebook but not confirmed by Gil.
Also others that may have done so include ESPN, CBC, NBC.

The biggest surprise he revealed that the Australian TV Networks want to talk now with 4 years to go and it is thought to try and head off the Big Guys.
We all thought that this may happen eventually and the possibilities are endless if the Giants get involved.

Constantly we read of new International based players saying we had never heard of the sport previously - Its a big secret.
We all know events overtake things in our private and business lives and perhaps the AFL will be overtaken in its International approach by the International Media Giants who will be trying to increase their viewerships internationally over time, and not be a big secret like it is now.
Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
Yes good points.
However seeing its 2023 does that not mean its all up for grabs from that year.
Thinking about it - FTA rights in Australia will always be a seperate deal and are protected I think but the Giants could take the overseas streaming rights but why would they when the overseas audiences are ???.
Amazon Prime are here now hawking their Netflix type packages, so does that mean they bid for Australian Streaming rights over Foxtel etc.
Will the deepest pockets prevail.
If the comments are correct about FTA CH7 getting nervous already makes for a very interesting mix of deals and proposals.

Is there a link to that whole report that those slides were taken out of?

No. It was published on the AFL Asia site - and I dont think it was supposed to be.
https://www.afl-asia.com/afl-asia-footy-participation-grows-across-the-continent/

Google - 2018 AFL Annual Report.

slides arent in the report. This is

International

Participation grew by eight per cent with more than 185,000 participants, including more than 81,000 females (44 per cent of the overall total).
Significant participation growth came from Canada (63 per cent increase) as a result of more than 15,000 children participating in an AFL Calgary School Program, which saw the establishment of 13 Auskick centres, and Asia (57 per cent increase) due to growth in competitions and programs across South East Asia, India and China.
AFL Fiji grew from 17,000 to 23,000 participants (34 per cent increase) on the back of establishing the game in Nadi and Lautoka. Fiji was also crowned champion of the under-15 AFL Oceania Cup.
AFL South Africa continued to run FootyWILD programs in townships across South Africa and attracted nearly 35,000 participants (21 per cent increase). The AFL continued to partner with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s (DFAT) Pacific Sports Partnership (PSP) program to increase participation, build capacity, promote health and gender equity outcomes and contribute to Australian public diplomacy objectives in Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Nauru and Vanuatu.
More than 400 coaches received accreditations (175 Level 1) across the South Pacific which helped contribute to the capacity building across the region. The South Pacific under-16 boys finished third at the Queensland Under-16 State Championships and the Papua New Guinea under-17 girls competed in the Queensland Youth Girls Championships.
Paradise Foods signed as major partner of the ‘Paradise Foods Niukick’ program to help expand the reach of AFL PNG’s national AFL development program. The 21st USAFL National Championships were held in Racine, Wisconsin, in October with 34 men’s teams and 11 women’s teams.
The AFL Asia National Championships were held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in October with 510 players (50 per cent local) from 17 men’s and four women’s teams representing 13 countries.
AFL Europe ran a range of events throughout 2018, including:
The Fitzpatrick Cup (for universities) in Cork, Ireland;
Champions League (nine-a-side tournament for league premiers from 22 countries) in Amsterdam, Netherlands;
The 10th annual Anzac Cup between Australia and France in Villers-Bretonneux, which also marked 100 years since the battle of Villers-Bretonneux;
The annual AFL Grand Final lunch with special guests including Essendon’s Conor McKenna and AFLW pioneer and GWS Giants star Cora Staunton, both of whom hail from Ireland;
Euro Cup (nine-a-side international tournament with 15 men’s and nine women’s teams representing 15 countries) held in Cork, Ireland.
AFL Europe announced that His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales, extended his patronage of AFL Europe. His Royal Highness developed a fondness for the sport during his time at Geelong Grammar in 1966 and became Patron of AFL Europe in 2013.
The Central Giants were crowned premiers after dominating the third season of the AFLNZ Senior Premiership.
Papua New Guinean Hewago Paul Oea signed an international scholarship with the Gold Coast Suns and AFL PNG Academy participants Jason Logi, Rex Peregua and Joe Yamog were selected in the Queensland under-16 team.
Crosscoders ran a talent camp for 18 aspiring AFLW candidates from six countries, which saw three Irish women drafted to AFLW clubs – Ailish Considine (Adelaide Crows), Yvonne Bonner (GWS Giants) and Aisling McCarthy (Western Bulldogs)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back