Remove this Banner Ad

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Monty Panesar (unsuccessfully) trying to be allowed to play for an injury/internationls hit NSW in a shield game, it got me thinking again about allowing international players playing domestic cricket in Australia again. I am leaning towards wanting it to happen, and believe it could have the effect of raising the standards of both domestic and international cricket.

The obvious case against is that it might hinder the development of some future international cricketers by blocking their path into the Shield team. But I believe that currently in Australian domestic cricket it is probably too easy. States with a lot of Australian contracted players like NSW have their bowling (and sometimes batting/keeping) lineups ravaged each summer and it results in: young players who aren't ready to play, mediocre players who have been around a while, a long time grade cricket performer making the side. This can sometimes be a good thing, but quite often it is not. There are guys like Pat Cummings who can play at high levels at an incredibly young age, but they are incredibly rare and the jury is still out as to whether he can continue being so effective. So yes, it could potentially hinder some cricketers (some mature age) from developing, but I think it could have a big impact on the cricketers the internationals play with. Ricky Ponting noted how many people had come to tell him how big an impact he was having on the group, as everyone was extremely keen to impress the Australian captain and hence training became a hell of a lot more productive and the benefits were shown in the matches he played. Younis Khan had a similar effect on a young Callum Ferguson a couple of years back too.

Obviously not every overseas player could be as good/respected as Ponting and Khan, but it wouldn't take too much research to find out whether a player will be a good influence on the group. It's been noted that because of the obsession of youth that state cricket has gone through over the last couple of years, teams have been devoid of leaders who can show these younger guys who to train, prepare, play and live the life of a professional cricketer. I would like to see more Australian domestic cricketers who are keen to play for Australia chase county contracts (or any other countries domestic system) because it can really round off your game. Using England as an example, guys like Strauss, Collingwood and Pietersen all came over, and whilst they obviously didn't play state cricket their games benefited from playing in a competitive environment in conditions that would have taken them out of their comfort zones and they went from strength to strength when they got the chance at international level.

I think a "player swapping" system would really benefit players from all over the world. A stint in county cricket could really benefit somebody like Callum Ferguson by improving not only his game, but his leadership qualities, and I'm not quite up to date with who are England's potential future batting stars are, but a young Ian Bell or Ravi Bopara, who clearly had a lot of talent, but got made mincemeat of in their younger days by the tough aggressive Australian fast bowlers, could be exposed to that at a younger age. Or what about sending a few of our state cricketers off to play in India? I don't know the standard of the Ranji Trophy, but they would no doubt come back with knowledge of how to bat/bowl/keep on subcontinental wickets and would have experienced the unusual Indian conditions whilst a couple of Indians come over here and ply their trade in just as foreign conditions for them. It could really improve the quality of players in nations which struggle to develop cricketers like Bangladesh or the West Indies. There still however, could be problems like there are in the state leagues in AFL where the AFL club more or less forces the state league club to play a player or to play them in a certain position.

It's hard to see it happening but if done fairly and equally I think it could help improve the quality of cricketers all over the world. It's not something the BCCI or CA is likely to look at in the age of fast money T20 unfortunately. The best we can hope for is an annual "A" tour and better scheduling so that players on international duty can still play regular domestic cricket.

Probably a massive tl;dr, but what are your thoughts?

Good idea, has merit, the argument that it will stunt players development is irrelevant. If that was the case, it would also be against the rules to recruit players from interstate. Mitchell Johnson/Ryan Harris/John Hastings/Travis Birt moving states is no different than getting an international in to the side. If players are good enough to be developing into international players, they will be good enough to take up one of the other 10 spots not taking up by the international player.

I can't see too many young kids wanting to go and live in India for 6 months. I'm sure the domestic cricketers over there live it pretty rough, no 5 star hotels around the country like the senior sides.

All the guys chase the coin in the IPL rather than go to county cricket and improve their game. Mike Hussey is probably the last samarui as far as the Australian side goes, although you could argue Watson 50/50 on county/IPL. I think Khawaja has done a bit over there recently which is good. Guys like Marsh, Warner etc coming through are all the IPL generation.

You guys know how I feel about international players - it's vastly underused and has hurt Australian cricket. With only 6 domestic teams there's a thin line between too many old players and not enough young talent and...well currently where we've lost our minds and the standard is shocking. SA needs a batsman (always), once Pomersbach and Marsh were gone WA needed a batsman, I still think QLD need an opener and so do Tassie. It's far better for Australian cricket to have class overseas players taking these roles than players more or less Bradbury-ing their way into these teams. Of course these players could end up shining (although it's not likely currently) As raised in another thread it's pretty hard to take too much credit out of the leading wicket taker board because the standard of batting here is just. Overseas players can help fix this. Of course they have to be recruited smartly, but I think we all agree Murray Goodwin was a good servant for Australian cricket, even if he couldn't play for Aus.

On the whole I'm fairly certain over the next few years they'll be changes to domestic cricket and recruiting. The BigBash will probably give players a taste of living outside their home states which may prompt more moves and the Argus review suggested bringing in a loan system and some other stuff to help more players change states (eg the coaches putting forward names of players who have talent but may not see it used in their current state).

The Monty Panesar sega has also highlighted some things. Monty isn't being prevented from playing for NSW due to like a law or something. It's just stupid "we'll play a U19 player instead" s**t at it's worst and hopefully it gets more and more people talking because it's just so stupid. But it highlighted something else. Monty also offered to fill in for Western Australia with Beer away, but ended up dropping it because it turned if he played for WA, CA laws meant he couldn't keep his 'lucrative contract' with the grade side he's playing in. That's just silly. Sydney Grade in particular always has a few international players in it and Australian born players who can't get a go with NSW. Surely we should be trying to encourage other states to look not only at their own grade comps but other states' comps when injury and Aus duty hits? Sam Robson who can't get a game for NSW and may become English because of it would be a huge help to SA or Tas right now. (CA doesn't prevent that from happening, but it does seem to more or less mean you become that states player now. In reality we should be allowing Monty to fill in for a match and go back to the way it was when the game is done)

A bloke like Kemar Roach can't even get a gig in the West Indies bowling lineup, would be good to see him playing instead of Rimmington or someone like him.

A few Zimbabweans like Flower (SA), Blignaut (Tas) and Ervine (WA) were around for a bit.

The kind of blokes you'd like to see here would be: Pujara, Vijay, Pathan, Malik, al-Hasan, Gul, Rana-Naved, Sarwan, Roach, Tonge, Benn (maybe... bit of a knob apparently), Martin (good young spinner, who won't play whilst Bishoo is there), Bopara, Woakes, McKenzie, Tsotsobe.

Obviously not all at once, but short stints where only one international player can be in a lineup would work I would think. Would prefer however to get guys who would be around for the whole season. Obviously some would have international commitments and the guys in the southern hemisphere would have to be "exchanged" for an Australian otherwise they wouldn't be able to come. I just think it would be a great way to improve players all round games and help them put forward a case to their national selectors when a tour of that country comes up.

It would be good, if you got the right players. Would also help to strengthen the competition which will boost the players playing in it and hopefully the national team also.

The international player swap idea sounds very good. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Australia and India do have some current partnership to send promising young players to train in the other countries academies. From memory Sreesanth may have trained in Australia and Johnson in India although I may be completely mistaken.

Isnt it similar in England where a young cricket player can at first only play in the divisions of his home county?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back