International Rules set to be ended by GAA

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It looks like the GAA county sides are likely to vote against continuing the International Rules series.

International Rules set to be shown the door

Whilst I know that the series isn't super popular with Australian Rules fans, I always thought the AFL would be the ones to end the series.

What I hope someone can clarify for me is, was there an agreement between the AFL and GAA that the AFL would stop the clubs from actively approaching and courting young talent while there was an IR series and limit recruiting to players who chose to try out at combines in Ireland? I do remember reading something along these lines because the GAA were up in arms in the way AFL clubs were approaching young talent. So the AFL stepped in and set up combines and the AFL clubs only approached players who came through that system.

I wonder if the GAA county sides would prefer no series and open season from our clubs on their young talent? or A series that no one really wants other than the AFL and a structured recruiting system that seems to limit the flow of talent from Ireland to Australia.

As a son of migrant Irish parents I'm kind of sad to see the series go but when we dont put a decent team out on the park it turns into a farce much quicker than it already is, maybe it's time has met a natural and justified end.

Better to wait until there's enough Irishmen in the AFL to field a full team to play against Aus...Would get absolutely flogged but they would be able to field a full team by now right?

Close-up-of-explosion-of-champagne-bottle-cork2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They must be scared of the rules becoming more fair, currently just Gaelic Football with AFL goalposts.

Oh well, guess it means open season on the GAA then.

Better to wait until there's enough Irishmen in the AFL to field a full team to play against Aus...Would get absolutely flogged but they would be able to field a full team by now right?
They could include any player who has or ever had an Irish name.
James Kelly,
Patrick Dangerfield
Paddy Ryder
The player formerly known as Harry O'Brien.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back