International Summer of Cricket 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The ICC T20 World Cup in India finishes on the 14th of November, following which Australia and England will likely need to undrgo hotel quarrantine for 2 weeks upon arrival in Australia (remains to be seen how long Australia keeps mandatory quarrantine for), which means the Ashes summer fixtures will likely look quite different, with the series likely to start in mid-December rather than it's usual late November slot.

Australia have commited to playing Afghanastan in a one-off test before, which will likely be a warm-up match for the Ashes more than anything else. I believe the venues will be quite different to what's posted in the article, as Australia would be keen to start the series at the GABBA, and play the last test in Adelaide as the traditional Australia day fixture. I think the fixture would look something like this:

Test v Afghanastan: Fri 3rd Dec - Mon 6th Dec Blundstone Arena

1st Ashes Test: Thu 16th Dec - Mon 20th Dec, GABBA
2nd Ashes Test: Sun 26th Dec - Thu 30th Dec, MCG
3rd Ashes Test: Thu 6th Jan - Mon 11th Jan, SCG
4th Ashes Test: Fri 14th Jan - Tue 18th Jan, Optus
5th Ashes Test: Wed 26th Jan - Sun 30th Jan, Adelaide Oval (D/N)

White ball series with Sri Lanka, South Africa & New Zealand - Feb 2021 (I expect at least one of these series to be canned/postponed due to tight schedule and quarrantine requirements).

This would also means the BBL runs throughout the whole Ashes summer, which may not be ideal, as it would likely clash with timeslots for the Perth test and Adelaide D/N test.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Overall happy I think its going to be a fantastic series and I really like we we play Afghan before the Ashes.

We need a test to prepare for the Ashes lets play our strongest team possible.....a little bit worried though about the weather down in hobart for that time of the year

Also shield starting earlier .....good sign will give us some quality First class cricket before the tests

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Would love to see the triangular series (or quadrangular) revived in Feb with SL, RSA & NZ playing.

Kinda crazy how they took the T20 World Cup away from here & moved it to India which ended up being a much worse candidate. Clearly the BCCI's financial muscle was a factor in that decision.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Would love to see the triangular series (or quadrangular) revived in Feb with SL, RSA & NZ playing.

Kinda crazy how they took the T20 World Cup away from here & moved it to India which ended up being a much worse candidate. Clearly the BCCI's financial muscle was a factor in that decision.

I don't think the T20 World cup will go ahead in India.....and if it does I can see Australia not going .

They are still trying to work out how to reschedule the IPL...UAE England have been talked about as possible places to play. I strongly believe with COVID CA will not let the aussies go to India for the world cup. The players could for the IPL as CA did not have control over them.

Interesting times ahead

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's really going to get a bumper crowd in Hobart,it will just give mainland media another opportunity to bag out our test cricket crowds because these crowds could be particularly low.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I don't think the T20 World cup will go ahead in India.....and if it does I can see Australia not going .

They are still trying to work out how to reschedule the IPL...UAE England have been talked about as possible places to play. I strongly believe with COVID CA will not let the aussies go to India for the world cup. The players could for the IPL as CA did not have control over them.

Interesting times ahead
England seems to be doing much better with covid in recent times, plus the County Championship has been underway for a while now without much of a hitch. Not sure what the situation in the UAE is like, but I just figure moving it back down here should be considered at the very least considering how low our infection rate is.

Always wanted to attend a World Cup match, even if I'm not all that big of a fan of T20.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The 1st Ashes Test starting on a Wednesday is a bit weird. I thought they'd start at the GABBA on the Thursday (9th) and then Adelaide on the next Friday (17th).

Vodafone Men's Test v Afghanistan

Nov 27 – Dec 1:
Test match, Blundstone Arena

Vodafone Men's Ashes v England

Dec 8-12:
First Test, The Gabba

Dec 16-20: Second Test, Adelaide Oval

Dec 26-30: Third Test, MCG

Jan 5-9: Fourth Test, SCG

Jan 14-18: Fifth Test, Perth Stadium

Commonwealth Bank Women's Ashes v England

Jan 27-30:
Test match, Manuka Oval

Feb 4: First T20, North Sydney Oval

Feb 6: Second T20, North Sydney Oval

Feb 10: Third T20, Adelaide Oval

Feb 13: First ODI, Adelaide Oval

Feb 16: Second ODI, Junction Oval

Feb 19: Third ODI, Junction Oval

Dettol Men's ODI & T20 Series v New Zealand

Jan 30:
First ODI, Perth Stadium

Feb 2: Second ODI, Blundstone Arena

Feb 5: Third ODI, SCG

Feb 8: T20, Manuka Oval

Dettol Men's T20 Series v Sri Lanka

Feb 11:
First T20, SCG

Feb 13: Second T20, The Gabba

Feb 15: Third T20, Metricon Stadium

Feb 18: Fourth T20, Adelaide Oval

Feb 20: Fifth T20, MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Perth gets the dead rubber. sigh
If you so certain it will be a dead rubber aren't they all effectively dead rubbers? As you know who will win?

I'm not sure anyone from Sydney has ever complained about having the 5th test. It could be a decider for all we know.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking forward to the tour to the W/I more than the summer of cricket. Feels like we have played England a lot over the past 4 years.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The most international cricket Hobart has hosted for years but the Aust vs Afghanistan test will definitely be a hard sell and no doubt the media will bag us out for our low test crowds even more so with Afghanistan.The one dayer will be nice but once again it will be hard to get a strong crowd due to the fact it is on a work and school night,why does cricket Australia not understand we are a small market and will always struggle to get a crowd on these nights.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Feels like we have played England a lot over the past 4 years.
You can thank the financial structure of the "big 3" for that. Personally the situation has sapped away some of my interest for the big contests such as the Border-Gavaskar trophy, or the Ashes, as they happen too often & feel a bit inconsequential.

Since 2010 we've hosted both India & England in Tests four times each. NZ & Pakistan three times. South Africa, West Indies & Sri Lanka twice.

No tours for Bangladesh, Ireland or Zimbabwe. Thankfully we're getting Afghanistan this season which is a very positive step forward for the budding Test nation.

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you so certain it will be a dead rubber aren't they all effectively dead rubbers? As you know who will win?

I'm not sure anyone from Sydney has ever complained about having the 5th test. It could be a decider for all we know.
5th Ashes Test in Australia has been dead rubber for decades

Split pea

Cancelled
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was surprised CA followed through with Afghanistan Test until I realised it's Australia's accelerated warm-up for not playing since January

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was surprised CA followed through with Afghanistan Test until I realised its Australia's accelerated warm-up for not playing since January
Ireland is highly likely playing a test against Australia in Hobart next season,another massive crowd puller for Tasmania.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The most international cricket Hobart has hosted for years but the Aust vs Afghanistan test will definitely be a hard sell and no doubt the media will bag us out for our low test crowds even more so with Afghanistan.The one dayer will be nice but once again it will be hard to get a strong crowd due to the fact it is on a work and school night,why does cricket Australia not understand we are a small market and will always struggle to get a crowd on these nights.
Sorry the One day international is actually not a school night so that should help with the attendance.

Sammo360

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
One T20 Feb 8 against New Zealand.....what's the point ?? wierd
It's the postponed T20 from last summer.

South Africa were supposed to be coming here for 3 ODIs and 3 T20IS but supposedly they can't make it due to scheduling and quarantine reasons.

Was surprised CA followed through with Afghanistan Test until I realised it's Australia's accelerated warm-up for not playing since January
Probably more to do with this
Seven had asked for a $70 million reduction from its annual $82 million cash and contra deal to cover the game but a binding independent assessment found the network can recoup just $5 million, according to a source familiar with the matter.
That figure will rise to $8.3 million if the Test against Afghanistan, initially scheduled for this season but postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, is not played next summer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back