International Summer of Cricket 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to the tour to the W/I more than the summer of cricket. Feels like we have played England a lot over the past 4 years.

Bilateral white ball series are pretty meaningless and formulaic though. Agreed Aus plays England way too much and mostly one sided since 05.

It'd be very interesting to draw a Venn Diagram of the people on here who continuously complain about the big three and the people who spent the bulk of the Pakistan/New Zealand summer a couple of seasons back whining about how boring and one sided it was.

Would be fairly close to a perfect circle.

It'd be very interesting to draw a Venn Diagram of the people on here who continuously complain about the big three and the people who spent the bulk of the Pakistan/New Zealand summer a couple of seasons back whining about how boring and one sided it was.

Would be fairly close to a perfect circle.
Yep and then you get the people that want us to play Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, and then others that get mad the test goes for 2 days.

West Indies havent played here since 15/16?

Got an exciting and promising line up these days, don’t think they’d win but would enjoy watching them play.

West Indies havent played here since 15/16?

Got an exciting and promising line up these days, don’t think they’d win but would enjoy watching them play.
were going to the West Indies they aren't coming here

were going to the West Indies they aren't coming here

I know, I was saying its a shame that they havent come out here for years especially now with a promising line up and a quality pace bowling attack. Looked it up and looks like 2022 Summer they come for 2 tests and SA 3 Tests.

I know, I was saying its a shame that they havent come out here for years especially now with a promising line up and a quality pace bowling attack. Looked it up and looks like 2022 Summer they come for 2 tests and SA 3 Tests.
Ireland may also be coming that summer.

Bilateral white ball series are pretty meaningless and formulaic though. Agreed Aus plays England way too much and mostly one sided since 05.
The Super League actually gives the ODI bilateral series a bit more context given it's directly related to World Cup qualification although probably more applicable to the Windies than to Australia given you'd expect Australia to qualify fairly comfortably.

In saying that I believe if it had of been around for the 2019 World Cup Australia would have finished 9th and had to have gone through the qualifiers to get into the World Cup.

You can thank the financial structure of the "big 3" for that. Personally the situation has sapped away some of my interest for the big contests such as the Border-Gavaskar trophy, or the Ashes, as they happen too often & feel a bit inconsequential.

Since 2010 we've hosted both India & England in Tests four times each. NZ & Pakistan three times. South Africa, West Indies & Sri Lanka twice.

No tours for Bangladesh, Ireland or Zimbabwe. Thankfully we're getting Afghanistan this season which is a very positive step forward for the budding Test nation.

well that's if the afghanistan test goes ahead.

it's not as if we haven't had tests scheduled against the likes of bangladesh, zimbabwe, ireland and afghanistan pencilled in, in the past.
the always seems to be some 'excuse' not to play them.

none of our other test series get cancelled (south africa tour 2020 being the exception).

some of our test series however have gone from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 etc.

an to all the people who said we'd never host 6 tests in an aussie summer - watch this space.

I assume the Women's International Series will be tweaked. There is zero way I can see matches going ahead in Sydney. They will take months to get on top of this covid outbreak.

All T20s will need to be moved as will the first ODI.

Maybe matches could be played in North Queensland? Adelaide? Tasmania?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm international cricket in Tasmania in September, somehow I think perhaps not.

Nth QLD is probably deemed too expensive for women's games, in terms of TV production costs.

If NSW is out, I'd expect the first ODI to be played at Junction Oval and the T20Is to be played at the WACA.

If VIC is out, then SA would be an option. But it still comes down to government cooperation. Unless one of the states are prepared to be more flexible than last summer, the whole India tour may end up in Sydney behind closed doors.

Why? It wouldn't be a ratings winner for Seven, gate takings are virtually nil. CA and broadcasters would be glad to rid themselves of the game.

Seven had asked for a $70 million reduction from its annual $82 million cash and contra deal to cover the game but a binding independent assessment found the network can recoup just $5 million, according to a source familiar with the matter.

That figure will rise to $8.3 million if the Test against Afghanistan, initially scheduled for this season but postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, is not played next summer

That Test is worth $3.3 million to CA.

Will be interesting to see where CA moves the matches from Sydney for the Women's Internationals. They might also take matches from Melbourne too. Hope Metricon Stadium is used.

It wouldn't be a ratings winner for Seven, gate takings are virtually nil.
I know several TCA members and like all Tasmanians, are a cricket passionate lot. None prouder than when little old Tassie gets an international match let alone a Test match. I expect gate takings are down given the current uncertainty. I am hearing that the Taliban are cricket fans so if our govt. gives the medical go ahead.. the Afghans will tour.

Tassies have been starved of Test cricket for too long, so I can see the best part of a full house if it gets the go ahead.. I saw a couple of shield games there two years ago and Bellerive was in pretty good attendance. Not sure what constitutes a full attendance.. guessing no more than 15K

Last edited:
I know several TCA members and like all Tasmanians, are a cricket passionate lot. None prouder than when little old Tassie gets an international match let alone a Test match. I expect gate takings are down given the current uncertainty. I am hearing that the Taliban are cricket fans so if our govt. gives the medical go ahead.. the Afghans will tour.
Unfortunately attendances have been very low for Tests at Bellerive for most of this century. Largely due to getting secondary oppositions and poor timing, which is the case again. The downside of maximising revenue at the big venues is reducing it at the smaller ones.

Hopefully the gap between Tests will see people keen to finally get to one again. Its a far cry from the full houses, and a large portion of the crowd travelling from the north of the state, as happened up to the mid 90s.

Yes, the Taliban allowed association football and cricket (for men only, obviously) under their old rule. They would probably allow it under the new, supposedly enlightened, despotism. Whether the ICC allow them to continue may be a question, whether governments allow their teams to play a team with Taliban backing is another.

Unfortunately attendances have been very low for Tests at Bellerive for most of this century. Largely due to getting secondary oppositions and poor timing, which is the case again. The downside of maximising revenue at the big venues is reducing it at the smaller ones.

Hopefully the gap between Tests will see people keen to finally get to one again. Its a far cry from the full houses, and a large portion of the crowd travelling from the north of the state, as happened up to the mid 90s.
Tasmanians are probably lucky to get as much cricket as they do given their relative size in all honesty. They hardly turn out in numbers even when they get given a decent team. I find it hard to look past their turnout when South Africa toured for a ODI series in 2018/19 and just over 5k turned up on a Sunday to see Dale Steyn play his last ever match in Australia. That series had other matches in Perth and Adelaide where 24k and 18k turned up.

Many will say that it is a good crowd given their population but when scheduling all you're concerned about is the total attendees surely? If you held an ODI in Moe the crowd size would probably be bigger than the population of the town, it doesn't mean it's a better idea than playing it in Melbourne.

The Hurricanes have had the lowest average crowd of all the BBL teams from BBL3 onwards. Again it's good as a percentage of their population but they simply don't have the population to justify consistent scheduling of international matches there.

Tasmanians are probably lucky to get as much cricket as they do given their relative size in all honesty. They hardly turn out in numbers even when they get given a decent team. I find it hard to look past their turnout when South Africa toured for a ODI series in 2018/19 and just over 5k turned up on a Sunday to see Dale Steyn play his last ever match in Australia. That series had other matches in Perth and Adelaide where 24k and 18k turned up.

Many will say that it is a good crowd given their population but when scheduling all you're concerned about is the total attendees surely? If you held an ODI in Moe the crowd size would probably be bigger than the population of the town, it doesn't mean it's a better idea than playing it in Melbourne.

The Hurricanes have had the lowest average crowd of all the BBL teams from BBL3 onwards. Again it's good as a percentage of their population but they simply don't have the population to justify consistent scheduling of international matches there.
The South Africa game was on a work and school night though and one day cricket is in decline.They used to regularly get sell outs of 15000 to 16000 to these games over a decade ago with good time slots and when one day cricket was popular.

The South Africa game was on a work and school night though and one day cricket is in decline.They used to regularly get sell outs of 15000 to 16000 to these games over a decade ago with good time slots and when one day cricket was popular.
The game in Perth was on the preceding Sunday (i.e. work and school night) and they got over 24k to it.

The game in Perth was on the preceding Sunday (i.e. work and school night) and they got over 24k to it.

Tassies have been starved of Test cricket for too long, so I can see the best part of a full house if it gets the go ahead.. I saw a couple of shield games there two years ago and Bellerive was in pretty good attendance. Not sure what constitutes a full attendance.. guessing no more than 15K
I think having the match start on Saturday will help with the attendance,8 to 10 thousand would be a decent effort for the first two days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back