Roast Internet in Australia is a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like you have an issue with the cabling. If the issue is on your property it's your problem and you have to fix it, if it's on the street they have to fix it. Tell your internet company what is happening and they will send out a tech for free to investigate.

Well there been work in our Area on the NBN and we have got Lot Slower Speeds and Drop Outs since they Started

Ring them. If you are paying for service it should be reliable and if it isn't they are obliged to fix it.

Going to do that Next Week.

They Better Fix it

You ever have one of those weeks when everything goes wrong? Well I am having one.

First decided to buy a Samsung A30 mobile phone but can't for the life of me add email addresses, just keeps going round and round checking for it on one (gmail), then tells me my Optus email login and password is wrong. So need to go to Samsung.

Then bought a new Dell laptop (Inspiron 14 5000 2in1) and it will not go any further than the front page on my internet or if updating the speed is 37kps, yes kps is right, not mbs. Rang them and went through all the trouble shooting but no luck. I can't believe that they don't listen. They keep telling me to give them remote access and I keep telling them it won't go through because of internet access. Round and round in circles. Even did a speed test on my desktop and I had 48.40mbs download and 10.5mbs upload so my internet was okay on phones and desktop.

I even told them that I had uninstalled Kaspersky from my main computer thinking it may have been the issue and not allowing access but it didn't make a difference so have re-installed.

Went and checked my router to see if it is there and would you believe I found that someone else is using my NBN, there is an iPhone that is also using it so now have to contact Optus as I haven't given anyone my password.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome as I am at my wits end.

You ever have one of those weeks when everything goes wrong? Well I am having one.

First decided to buy a Samsung A30 mobile phone but can't for the life of me add email addresses, just keeps going round and round checking for it on one (gmail), then tells me my Optus email login and password is wrong. So need to go to Samsung.

Then bought a new Dell laptop (Inspiron 14 5000 2in1) and it will not go any further than the front page on my internet or if updating the speed is 37kps, yes kps is right, not mbs. Rang them and went through all the trouble shooting but no luck. I can't believe that they don't listen. They keep telling me to give them remote access and I keep telling them it won't go through because of internet access. Round and round in circles. Even did a speed test on my desktop and I had 48.40mbs download and 10.5mbs upload so my internet was okay on phones and desktop.

I even told them that I had uninstalled Kaspersky from my main computer thinking it may have been the issue and not allowing access but it didn't make a difference so have re-installed.

Went and checked my router to see if it is there and would you believe I found that someone else is using my NBN, there is an iPhone that is also using it so now have to contact Optus as I haven't given anyone my password.

Maggie5
I miss my dell was a great laptop,
No expert can you try an Ethernet cable into the new laptop?
But the bolded part sounds super suss regarding privacy settings.

40 down and 10 up lot faster then me.

I get around 15 down and 6 up

Did someone hack your Internet Maggie5
I have no idea, waiting for Optus to check it out.

Meanwhile thank goodness for my desktop, stuff mobiles and laptops, I am over them and Windows 10.
Should have bought Apple but overpriced in my opinion.

I am moving to another address and there is FTTC there which I am told will be even better than what I am on.

I contacted Optus for a better deal on my plan and they gave me $10 discount plus one month free for NBN. I also changed my mobile plan and now have 10G data plus unlimited calls and MMS (this is pretty standard). Was $39 per month and got it for $29.00 per month, $10 discount on this too.

Couldn't be bothered changing providers as I would then have to contact everyone that has my email address. Might do it later on if I can be bothered investigating prices.

Maggie5
I miss my dell was a great laptop,
No expert can you try an Ethernet cable into the new laptop?
But the bolded part sounds super suss regarding privacy settings.
Doesn't have a slot for Ethernet cable sadly.

Yeah I am concerned about the bold, thought I had the highest privacy settings WAP2 with AES.

I have no idea, waiting for Optus to check it out.

Meanwhile thank goodness for my desktop, stuff mobiles and laptops, I am over them and Windows 10.
Should have bought Apple but overpriced in my opinion.

I am moving to another address and there is FTTC there which I am told will be even better than what I am on.

I contacted Optus for a better deal on my plan and they gave me $10 discount plus one month free for NBN. I also changed my mobile plan and now have 10G data plus unlimited calls and MMS (this is pretty standard). Was $39 per month and got it for $29.00 per month, $10 discount on this too.

Couldn't be bothered changing providers as I would then have to contact everyone that has my email address. Might do it later on if I can be bothered investigating prices.

Doesn't have a slot for Ethernet cable sadly.

Yeah I am concerned about the bold, thought I had the highest privacy settings WAP2 with AES.

You can buy a cheap USB to ethernet adaptor.
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product...La7boBymh6Rdoco7udSJQEcw_ZXziAbhoCWDgQAvD_BwE

Is your speed only slow with wifi then? If yes then change the password & reboot the router.

I'm on 100/40 FTTC & download at 95mbps consistently. I'm with Aussie Broadband.

Just a matter of trial and error using the troubleshoot checklist until you find the issue.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1847 < go through the list. I suppose that's what you already did.

I see from googling that laptop it comes with a 30 day McAfee trial installed on it, maybe there's a firewall that's not allowing a proper connection in there.

I've never heard of anyone being able to crack a wifi password but it can be done. Strengthen it to something ridiculous that 1 in a billion couldn't guess.

Some kid has probably just tried hard enough with a password cracking software, who knows what's out there and it guessed it. You can get programs that run through 600 million possible passwords trying to crack it apparently. Make it next to impossible then once it's saved locally you don't need to remember it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With your email, you should be able to retrieve your optus login and password from your desktop where it's probably saved, and for gmail are you trying to log in via the browser or the app? Maybe try download the gmail app and get in that way.

Thank you sirlothie and frizzle for your suggestions (not Anzacday's :)).

Well I am glad for an oldie I am a bit of a nerd and hate being beaten. I rang Optus and it seems the problem is that my old Dell Latitude and new Inspiron were sharing the same IP address and by resetting the router manged to get the new one to at least 3mbs per second which at least allowed me to get to a website. I then rang Dell to tell them what Optus said. Previously when I rang Dell, I didn't have enough speed to allow them remote access to my laptop but with a little more juice they were able to access. They removed some Software? performed a diagnostic and now it works!!!!

Am getting 44mbs so all good.

frizzle, might take up your suggestion re the USB Ethernet cable just in case.

sirlothie on the Samsung, I was using their app to try and access email, maybe I should just do it via their Chrome browser but surely it should work?

Also have changed my password on my router and that iPhone number has now disappeared.

Phew, what a day!

Well I am glad for an oldie I am a bit of a nerd and hate being beaten. I rang Optus and it seems the problem is that my old Dell Latitude and new Inspiron were sharing the same IP address and by resetting the router manged to get the new one to at least 3mbs per second which at least allowed me to get to a website. I then rang Dell to tell them what Optus said. Previously when I rang Dell, I didn't have enough speed to allow them remote access to my laptop but with a little more juice they were able to access. They removed some Software? performed a diagnostic and now it works!!!!

sirlothie on the Samsung, I was using their app to try and access email, maybe I should just do it via their Chrome browser but surely it should work?

Also have changed my password on my router and that iPhone number has now disappeared.

Phew, what a day!

The email should work, I can't see why it's not. Just make sure you have the password right, it's easy to change it and completely forget you did.

The email should work, I can't see why it's not. Just make sure you have the password right, it's easy to change it and completely forget you did.
Don't have any problems logging in on my desktop, just the phone for some strange reason.

Might take a trip to Samsung in Northland on the week-end.

Phew, what a day!
Awesome I hope they ridded McAfee for good I despise that software.

Just as aside, I have downloaded Kaspersky password manager as I have changed so many passwords in the last few weeks. I disposed of quite a few laptops I had laying around and forgot to delete my passwords from Firefox.:'( Fortunately I never clicked yes to save any that required payments or banking details and rarely purchased anything on line.

Just a tip for others that are disposing of old computers or lap tops.

I live in China and I can tell you its a hell of a lot worse than Australia and it's even worse than Indonesia and Thailand. With all of the censorship restrictions you can't do much at all and even if you use a VPN it slows it down and is inconsistent because the government censor watch dogs are always finding ways of stopping VPN servers. Huge headaches if you work in just about any industry which relies on access to the web.

I live in China and I can tell you its a hell of a lot worse than Australia and it's even worse than Indonesia and Thailand. With all of the censorship restrictions you can't do much at all and even if you use a VPN it slows it down and is inconsistent because the government censor watch dogs are always finding ways of stopping VPN servers. Huge headaches if you work in just about any industry which relies on access to the web.

That would suck how Censored the Chinese Government do to there Internet but they want Total Control

Remove this Banner Ad

Back