Roast Internet in Australia is a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Carrum Downs. Using Aussie broadband for home & work now. No issues so far & very helpful.

That's awesome for Carrum Downs I thought it would be slow there. I get 36 download mbps but that's wifi only with Optus in Frankston and we are sharing it.

That's enough for everything without much trouble except streaming Kayo in HD.

You streaming Kayo would be like watching HD TV.

Carrum Downs are using FTTC which is plenty fast enough. The FTTN houses are the slow ones. Most of those were installed after Liberal won the election from Rudd. Glad I didn't win that Lotto.
I can stream Netflix & Youtube 4k no problem. Not using Kayo at the moment. Still have foxtel.

Carrum Downs are using FTTC which is plenty fast enough. The FTTN houses are the slow ones. Most of those were installed after Liberal won the election from Rudd. Glad I didn't win that Lotto.
I can stream Netflix & Youtube 4k no problem. Not using Kayo at the moment. Still have foxtel.

Having blindingly fast internet would be good to a point but once it gets to a point it's fast enough to do everything comfortably that's probably at 70mbps download the rest is a waste, pages would load instantly and streaming seamless at a lower speed. But for the same reason people buy fast cars they can't drive at top speed, it's still cool to have.

For some reason even at my speed downloading torrents I can download a movie in about 2 minutes flat. Internet isn't that bad here unless you are a bit remote or in bad area.

Connected the office to FTTC with Aussie Broadband today.

Happy :)

7513579690.png

Heard Good Things about Aussie broad but they are expensive

I get about 60mbps-70mbps Down at Home.

though took quite a few Tech People over the years to Finally Fix our speed problems

use to get no more then 13mbps before bring fixed

Last edited:
Heard Good Things about Aussie broad but they are expensive
You may find cheaper, but you will struggle to find better.
Because Aussie actually buy enough bandwidth off the NBN to cope with their customer base.
Others, like Telstra, are happy to let the speeds slow at peak times and return the excess cash to the shareholders.

You may find cheaper, but you will struggle to find better.
Because Aussie actually buy enough bandwidth off the NBN to cope with their customer base.
Others, like Telstra, are happy to let the speeds slow at peak times and return the excess cash to the shareholders.

I am with Telstra and Getting Good Speeds

I find my Downloads are Faster in Peak Time.

Download speeds up to about 8mbps then and might get 4-5mbps During the Day

Having blindingly fast internet would be good to a point but once it gets to a point it's fast enough to do everything comfortably that's probably at 70mbps download the rest is a waste, pages would load instantly and streaming seamless at a lower speed. But for the same reason people buy fast cars they can't drive at top speed, it's still cool to have.

For some reason even at my speed downloading torrents I can download a movie in about 2 minutes flat. Internet isn't that bad here unless you are a bit remote or in bad area.

It depends I suppose. Some of the people who ended up with FTTN are still stuck on several hundred meters of copper before it becomes fibre.
Some of these guys are only getting adsl type speeds & 100/40 isn't even an option for them. Some can't even get 50/20. Some still have a long wait for NBN at all. I agree 70mbps is fine for most things such as streaming in HD, downloading torrents etc. But our friends across the ditch in NZ installed FTTP & are contemplating 1GBPS speeds to be available in the near future. Most other countries are giving customers more speed than we get at a cheaper price.
New Zealand rank #26 for speed in the world & we are #53. We would have future proofed our internet for years if we had stuck to the FTTP rollout. But after the change of government we ended up with a mix of about 5 different technologies that the government never really understood. Now here we are I guess. Everybody on FTTC & FTTN will need to spend up big $ to get to FTTP eventually. Otherwise we will be again left behind.

Sorry Dave, but how is 8Mbps download a good speed?

Speestest says I get around 60-70mbps but when I am actually download something it comes at best 8mbps.

Way faster then I seen people say they get.

Hopefully Labor wins Election and might try and Fix FraudBand

I must be very lucky

I have FTTC at 50Mbs, been connected for 3 months, I constantly get 48Mbs during peak times

Only had 1 minor issue when we had a Power Outage and my NBN Router wouldn't come back on line when the power came back on
NBN called re-set everything and back to 48Mbs the same day

I live in Warrandyte. The NBN is at least a year away and Telstra is no longer investing in the exchange so not everyone gets ADSL2. We're still stuck on ADSL with 8MB download on a good day, usually it's around 3mb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's one of the reasons I refuse to live in the sticks. That and isolation.

I understand. When I need a faster connection I tether from my phone and enjoy 4G.

Warrandyte is "only" 25km from the CBD, fairly close, relatively speaking. It's inexcusable that Australia is where it is and in a sense the NBN is already redundant given that 5G will be out around the same time. China will have 6G out by 2030.

I love the "isolation", but we call it "space". :)

I understand. When I need a faster connection I tether from my phone and enjoy 4G.

Warrandyte is "only" 25km from the CBD, fairly close, relatively speaking. It's inexcusable that Australia is where it is and in a sense the NBN is already redundant given that 5G will be out around the same time. China will have 6G out by 2030.

I love the "isolation", but we call it "space". :)

I have lived in Warrandyte before, I don't like having not much around even though you are closer to the city than me (Frankston) I like being in the thick of the action a bit more and without driving I still reckon I'd get to the city quicker than you by public transport, I remember PT being awful when I was in Warrandyte. I also lived in Emerald which was the same thing, some people have to seriously get Puffing Billy to get to a metro train station.

Heavily wooded places are always the last place to get upgrades, although the space is nice sometimes, I agree, being on larger properties with neighbours further away. I have no need for super duper fast internet, I'm already happy with what I get, I'm not an online gamer or someone with a need for anything super quick but I agree Australia's handling of technology has been farcical compared to other nations.

I have lived in Warrandyte before, I don't like having not much around even though you are closer to the city than me (Frankston) I like being in the thick of the action a bit more and without driving I still reckon I'd get to the city quicker than you by public transport, I remember PT being awful when I was in Warrandyte. I also lived in Emerald which was the same thing, some people have to seriously get Puffing Billy to get to a metro train station.

Heavily wooded places are always the last place to get upgrades, although the space is nice sometimes, I agree, being on larger properties with neighbours further away. I have no need for super duper fast internet, I'm already happy with what I get, I'm not an online gamer or someone with a need for anything super quick but I agree Australia's handling of technology has been farcical compared to other nations.

PT around Warrandyte is woeful, you are correct; we drive everywhere. No shortage of choice for good places to eat and coffee nearby but without a car, it would be very difficult.

Funnily enough we still drove everywhere even when we lived closer in. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back