Internet in Australia is a Joke

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
Yep complete rubbish.
Out of the blue, we received our new NBN modem from Telstra last week. Hooked it up, Net works fine, (DL speed is rubbish but we're used to it)
Rolls around to Tuesday and we have no internet.
Ring Telstra, was on hold for 35 mins, hung up, then called again and straight to an operator :mad: and they do the whole song and dance (should be working fine, cant see issues on our end, ra,ra,ra) yes i tried resetting the modem!!!!!!!!!!
After half an hour they realise that a tech was out to our area that morning to connect our street to the NBN, and turns out the bandwith is too low in our street for the amount of houses and they cant fix it till next week.... WHAT??? Im in rural Vic, its not like im in a congested CBD, was the trainee out that day??
Absolute garbage, jeez i wanted to berate the bloke on the other end, but knew it wasn't his fault, but * me if i dont get a discount on my next bill ill go heave

Yep complete rubbish.
Out of the blue, we received our new NBN modem from Telstra last week. Hooked it up, Net works fine, (DL speed is rubbish but we're used to it)
Rolls around to Tuesday and we have no internet.
Ring Telstra, was on hold for 35 mins, hung up, then called again and straight to an operator :mad: and they do the whole song and dance (should be working fine, cant see issues on our end, ra,ra,ra) yes i tried resetting the modem!!!!!!!!!!
After half an hour they realise that a tech was out to our area that morning to connect our street to the NBN, and turns out the bandwith is too low in our street for the amount of houses and they cant fix it till next week.... WHAT??? Im in rural Vic, its not like im in a congested CBD, was the trainee out that day??
Absolute garbage, jeez i wanted to berate the bloke on the other end, but knew it wasn't his fault, but glory be me if i dont get a discount on my next bill ill go heave

They have probably big DownGrade for NBN in Rural Australia:mad:

Sounds about right :rolleyes:, but a mate 500m around the corner is all hooked up enjoying NBN, plus hes in an established house and mines only 2yrs old, which makes me think Telstra is just inept

Is he closer to the Exchange?

Couldn't tell ya. No idea.

Okay. I been told Closer to the Exchange you are. Faster the Speeds.

Though I have seen weird Places where people get Super Slow Net but close by is Super Fast

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
Okay. I been told Closer to the Exchange you are. Faster the Speeds.

Though I have seen weird Places where people get Super Slow Net but close by is Super Fast
My main issue is how could you underestimate the amount of bandwidth required in a new estate? Regardless of where the exchange is It's not like this the first estate telstra have switched over. It's a standard Street. And then to not think to mention it to there customers that internet would then be down for a week.

My main issue is how could you underestimate the amount of bandwidth required in a new estate? Regardless of where the exchange is It's not like this the first estate telstra have switched over. It's a standard Street. And then to not think to mention it to there customers that internet would then be down for a week.

Telstra is Pretty Crap

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I just had a look at my providers deals and the cheapest is for 12mb/1mb , I am currently at 4 ( I think I posted) now they do say ''up to 12'' , then it goes up to 25/5 and 50/20. Finished off with 100/40. ( all ''up to'')

12/1 should be ok for general internet and some youtube or do I look for more?

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
I was thinking today, gee my internet is slow

ScreenShot1494_zpswv00cyvg.jpg

Dial up used to be quicker

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Would like to also point out what a joke Optus packages are these days. Two year contract for my mother is up so checked to see if anything better/similar was available. Bundles START from $80 a month. I'm sure that price with the unlimited data is useful to some but is absolutely unnecessary for just as many. And being in an optus cable infrastructure area there are no other options.

Will be staying with what she was on but was staggered at the lack of options. A 20-50g option for say $40 would be nice.

I'm done with landlines
Mrs rang local vodaphone shop and got us 22 gig each on our phones for $116 a month
I just tether if i need a bigger screen

Problem I would need more then 22gb per month. Could run out rather Fast

KingNothing

All Australian
Sep 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Mine is about that speed Lately and as low as 0.08mbps I seen

I raise you 0.05mbps. Have barley had working internet since Christmas. And to top it off Netcube keep overcharging me on my bill. Can't wait to be rid of those campaigners.

Been seeking an alternative ADSL 2 connecting for over a month now, but the biggest issue I'm facing is living in an area where NBN Fixed Wireless is available but my signal is too low. No-one I speak to (Netcube, Optus, Telstra, NBN Co) can quite process that and give me a straight answer.

"You are eligible for NBN so we can't connect you to ADSL2. You must get NBN"
"I can't, I've failed three connection tests due to poor signal caused by trees outside my property (to stop people saying cut down the trees...), so I'd like ADSL2 please as I can't get NBN."
"But you can get NBN, you are in eligible area"
"....... Surely I can't be the only person in whole country who lives in an NBN capable area but can't connect due to signal interference. What do you do for those people?"
'I haven't come across that before, I will need to call you back"

* off you haven't! Beyond useless. By far the most helpful people I've spoken to are Foxtel. They're going to hook me up to ADSL2 ASAP so i can be free of Netcube, and then once their NBN becomes available I'll be able to go onto that as they're going to be using FTTP and not Fixed Wireless.

I raise you 0.05mbps. Have barley had working internet since Christmas. And to top it off Netcube keep overcharging me on my bill. Can't wait to be rid of those campaigners.

Been seeking an alternative ADSL 2 connecting for over a month now, but the biggest issue I'm facing is living in an area where NBN Fixed Wireless is available but my signal is too low. No-one I speak to (Netcube, Optus, Telstra, NBN Co) can quite process that and give me a straight answer.

"You are eligible for NBN so we can't connect you to ADSL2. You must get NBN"
"I can't, I've failed three connection tests due to poor signal caused by trees outside my property (to stop people saying cut down the trees...), so I'd like ADSL2 please as I can't get NBN."
"But you can get NBN, you are in eligible area"
"....... Surely I can't be the only person in whole country who lives in an NBN capable area but can't connect due to signal interference. What do you do for those people?"
'I haven't come across that before, I will need to call you back"

**** off you haven't! Beyond useless. By far the most helpful people I've spoken to are Foxtel. They're going to hook me up to ADSL2 ASAP so i can be free of Netcube, and then once their NBN becomes available I'll be able to go onto that as they're going to be using FTTP and not Fixed Wireless.

Same Here. Internet has been Terrible since Christmas Day.

Still waiting for NBN. Said coming soon but I believe it when I see it.

Yet another Thing the Liberals have stuffed up

When I studied in Sweden in 2010, my internet was through a USB dongle thing.

It was by far faster than anything I have personally had in Australia.

Quite sad, yet cool at the same time.

JohnNash

Draftee
Jan 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LFC

Inner west of Melbourne. Not great but I rarely have too many connection issues and for the most part the stability allows me to stream etc. with relatively low frustration levels. Would love faster internet but I work hard to try and appreciate what I have given the problems so many people still have. A real shame that it's 2017 and there doesn't appear to be much of an appetite by the pollies to prioritise it as an issue.

Back