Interstate Shitfight thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that weren't around here in 2008-9 the McGain saga also needs to be mentioned. The bloke's tyres were endlessly pumped up on this board, mainly by Bushranger fans of course. Best spinner in the SS, automatic selection and all that. I'd hardly seen him bowl so didn't really disagree.

But a very small handful of posters 'dared' to voice the opinion that he actually wasn't all that good, and would really struggle at Test level. They were attacked on here with stuff like 'know nothings' or 'Vic haters'.

Well we all know how that story ended...

mcgain100939.jpg

For those that weren't around here in 2008-9 the McGain saga also needs to be mentioned. The bloke's tyres were endlessly pumped up on this board, mainly by Bushranger fans of course. Best spinner in the SS, automatic selection and all that. I'd hardly seen him bowl so didn't really disagree.

But a very small handful of posters 'dared' to voice the opinion that he actually wasn't all that good, and would really struggle at Test level. They were attacked on here with stuff like 'know nothings' or 'Vic haters'.

Well we all know how that story ended...

He came back underdone from shoulder surgery and just happened to run into a rampant Kallis.

Bushranger John Hastings picked to open the bowling at WACA of all places takes the cake, steaming in looking all big and burly.. only to lob down his military paced pies.

Pretty sure he was also leading the SS bowling averages at the time, perfect example of how performances at the lower level often don't mean much.

But according to a lot of the BF brains trust all the selectors should do is pick the guy with the best average in the shield.

Lol. From that logic we shouldn’t even have selectors. We could just look at stats. I do think the underwhelming guy who just gets it done year after year eventually deserves a go but when posters want the leading run scorer in the shield or leading wicket taker whose been shite in other seasons I cringe a little. It’s not worth even trying to argue that from what I’ve seen of them they won’t make it at international level. Joe Mennie and Marcus Harris come to mind stright away.

Most Victorians that were left out were done so because they were better options at the time. No other state seems to have nearly as much problem with having NSW players in the team as much as they do. If they opened their eyes our best four bowlers and best two batsmen are from NSW and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Most Victorians that were left out were done so because they were better options at the time. No other state seems to have nearly as much problem with having NSW players in the team as much as they do. If they opened their eyes our best four bowlers and best two batsmen are from NSW and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
The difference is the NSW players are drafted in to the side and given ample opportunities! The players from other states are just thrown in to the side to cover for an injured player then usually discarded

Even Healy rated Berry the best keeper in the country in his playing days

He was a very good keeper but not a very good batsman. The only reason Paine is getting a gig now is that Wade and Nevill were unconvincing with the bat, and in Wade's case also the gloves. The ACB made wicketkeeper-batsman a priority a long time ago.

The difference is the NSW players are drafted in to the side and given ample opportunities! The players from other states are just thrown in to the side to cover for an injured player then usually discarded

State has nothing to do with it. Selectors identify international prospects early and pick them as soon as they show something at state level, particularly bowlers. James Pattinson is always rushed back when he’s fit long enough and hadn’t earned his chance any more than Starc or Hazlewood had - they were all picked on reputation. Same goes for M.Mitch and Agar.

NSW just has more gun prospects due to population. They probably develop them better too. There seems to be a lot more 18-23 year olds getting games for NSW than Victoria as well who seem to prefer recruiting guys like Harris and Christian who’ll never play test or ODI cricket for Australia (after their inclusion in the Victorian squad) as a shortcut to do better in the shield rather than developing their own.

I’m a WA person and fan of the state side but I like the best side on the park. If that includes zero WA players or 11 players from NSW (or any other state) then so be it. If anything I think the selectors have actually selected as few NSW players as they could this Ashes.

Last edited:

Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Blewett, Gillespie, Watson, Johnson... plenty of players are identified young and given a good run at it that aren't from NSW.

Vics had their noses put out of joint when Dean Jones was dropped from the test side and have continued to vent their anger through Brad Hodge.

Problem is they overlook anything that goes against the argument. Shane Warne took 12 wickets @ 47 in the 91/92 Shield and got a test gig. Didn't do much in his first few tests but was persisted with. Dropped once, recalled then the rest is history. Paul Reiffel played 35 tests, Matthew Elliott played 21 tests, Chris Rogers played 24 as a Vic player, James Pattinson was given a test cap after 6 FC matches...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do Vics still think Darren Berry was hard done by, or is it just Darren Berry?

No more than the likes of Wade Seccombe, who was a better batsman and almost as good a gloveman.

Not that you'd pick either over Adam Gilchrist.

(I'm not Victorian BTW.)

EDIT: Actually, Tim Nielsen (SA) and Mark Atkinson (TAS - had to look that one up!) had better records with the bat too. Phil Emery/Brad Haddin at least played Test cricket, so they don't count.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back