Interstate Shitfight thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Having grown up in Freo, lived in Melbourne for 15 years and now Hobart, I consider myself fairly unbiased.
So my point us that Tassie cricket puts the rest of the country to shame. For a state of 500000 people they are killing it.
Have made the last 3 domestic finals (BBL, SS and JLT) and the Canes are flogging everyone at the moment. In the last 10 years have made/won multiple SS finals. Not sure if Tim Coyle (former coach ) didn't want a national role, but some serious investigation has to be done by the ACB as to why this state has continued to out shine almost every other state.
Player development and culture are first class. There was upheaval when Dan Marsh left but they've come through that no problems.
Other states should be embarrassed.

Having grown up in Freo, lived in Melbourne for 15 years and now Hobart, I consider myself fairly unbiased.
So my point us that Tassie cricket puts the rest of the country to shame. For a state of 500000 people they are killing it.
Have made the last 3 domestic finals (BBL, SS and JLT) and the Canes are flogging everyone at the moment. In the last 10 years have made/won multiple SS finals. Not sure if Tim Coyle (former coach ) didn't want a national role, but some serious investigation has to be done by the ACB as to why this state has continued to out shine almost every other state.
Player development and culture are first class. There was upheaval when Dan Marsh left but they've come through that no problems.
Other states should be embarrassed.

I don't know what you can take away from Tassie though, because it's a weird mish-mash of players from different places playing in Tassie for different reasons.

On one hand, we do punch above our weight, and I think the small size of Tassie helps. Speaking about the guys in my own age group, blokes like Bailey, Wade and Paine were on the radar as 14 and 15 year olds playing in under-17s intrastate rep teams; Tassie's size also makes it easier to recognise body type and natural ability too, which is why we are now producing very good, quick fast bowlers (Meredith, Rainbird, Bell.) It's much, much harder to recognise these guys in larger states that early, especially if they aren't living in a major city playing for the "right" school (or maybe the "right" club.)

On the other hand though - I remember there was a Shield game last season, I think in December after Doolan got his concussion, where there were only 2-3 "native" Tasmanians in the team. Which kind of negates much of the benefit you want to glean from junior development.

Then of the non-"natives", they tend to fall into 1 of 3 "buckets".

1. The outstanding juniors from interstate - McDermott, Doran, Silk, even going back to Watson - who Tassie identifies from other states, and is able to offer an opportunity to earlier than they'd get it in their home states. It's questionable whether this is good for culture - you get the enthusiasm and hard work of youth, but you also have guys on the fringe of the 11 who may be shitty about an interloper getting "their" spot.

2. The mid-age players who weren't getting much opportunity in their home state, and end up being much better than anyone thought they were - Bird, Cowan. I guess this is a symptom of a smaller state having less competition, so it's not something you can replicate.

3. The also-rans who can get a game with Tassie, but couldn't at home, and probably aren't going to go above state cricket - Milenko, Sandhu, Fekete (not withstanding the latter 2 making squads or T20 teams) - and I wonder whether these kinds of players don't reflect what's bad about the Sheffield Shield. The reason I've never loved how much Tassie recruits from interstate is because, first and foremost, the Shield's job is to produce national team players. And I think we can all agree that it's doing a ******* rubbish job at the moment! If you're recruiting and playing guys like Milenko and Sandhu above talented local juniors, you're putting results above developing players. So yeah, it's good to pound my chest about how great my home state team is doing... but to what end? Victorians are probably the one group of people that disagree - but I think the rest of us would much rather have 3 or 4 guys in or around a dominant test team than have a great state team full of players who are never going to play for Australia.

3. The also-rans who can get a game with Tassie, but couldn't at home, and probably aren't going to go above state cricket - Milenko, Sandhu, Fekete (not withstanding the latter 2 making squads or T20 teams) - and I wonder whether these kinds of players don't reflect what's bad about the Sheffield Shield. The reason I've never loved how much Tassie recruits from interstate is because, first and foremost, the Shield's job is to produce national team players. And I think we can all agree that it's doing a ******* rubbish job at the moment! If you're recruiting and playing guys like Milenko and Sandhu above talented local juniors, you're putting results above developing players. So yeah, it's good to pound my chest about how great my home state team is doing... but to what end? Victorians are probably the one group of people that disagree - but I think the rest of us would much rather have 3 or 4 guys in or around a dominant test team than have a great state team full of players who are never going to play for Australia.

This happens in state league footy, too. It's rare to see a SANFL, VFL or WAFL premier (excluding AFL-affiliated sides) with 22 "home grown" players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back