Interstate sides in GFs

Remove this Banner Ad

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So since 2013 we've had a vic side against an interstate side in the GF. Vic is now 5-0, and while you could obviously argue Hawthorn were the best side in the comp and accounted for three of those, you could equally argue that all of the interstate sides underperformed in all five.

Thoughts?

Plus in 4 of those the interstate team finished higher on the ladder.

The crux of the issue, the best performed team forced to cede an advantage based on ... postcode.

AKA why the Hawks 3 peat is a signiicantly lesser achievement than the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish we had a system like the NFL where the superbowl is played at a different venue each year.
I'd prefer the English football version. Every club has their own stadium and the final is played at the neautral MCG

If your good Enough you'll win anywhere id just be happy to have the chance to win it

Just to be clear - I created the OP as a question as to why recent interstate sides have performed terribly in GFs. There's no excuse for at least the Adelaide and WC performances, and the others weren't great either.

I get it's not ideal that you finish top and need to travel for the GF, but it is what it is. Teams should be better than what they've shown recently.

Brisbane did it well, but nobody has done it since. WC and Sydney only beat each other, Sydney beat Hawthorn in 2012 but straight kicking would have turned that around.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few years turn out.

So since 2013 we've had a vic side against an interstate side in the GF. Vic is now 5-0, and while you could obviously argue Hawthorn were the best side in the comp and accounted for three of those, you could equally argue that all of the interstate sides underperformed in all five.

Thoughts?

Hawthorn did not finish the top of the table in 2014 or 2015 so there can be a debate about whether they were the best side that year, even if they did win both Grand Finals very comfortably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back