Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

You really don't get a lot of "reward" out of being a keen football fan these days, if you think that winning premierships is all that matters!

Ah, thank you for that! This is why I'm a proud member, if you count every other "stat" like wins, finals wins and appearances and GF appearances then we are glaringly universes ahead of the competition.:)

Ah, thank you for that! This is why I'm a proud member, if you count every other "stat" like wins, finals wins and appearances and GF appearances then we are glaringly universes ahead of the competition.:)
I absolutely think we are ahead of the competition, and by a fair margin the biggest club in the AFL! Others may come and go, but we don't need to rely on having a good (onfield) run to stay at the top (off-field).

As for onfield affairs, it would be nice if people could adjust their thinking and be sensible about how things are in this modern era of equalization, but most supporters probably still believe there is one winner every year, and seventeen losers! To me, 2018 was a major triumph for our club. We didn't quite get to take home the big prize, but we did a brilliant job under extremely tough circumstances. Something we've done plenty of times over the years.

Most people would also say that because Carlton and Essendon have won one more flag than us it means they have been more successful (than us), but I too look at our overall winning record, extraordinary record in playing finals and making Grand Finals, and just the fact that we've been able to be extremely competitive for such a large chunk of our existence, with great pride. Essendon last won a finals game in 2004, Carlton are still struggling at the foot of the ladder, yet here we are a serious challenger yet again.

You’re the biggest club in the AFL ...

images

The biggest club is the club that’s biggest in your heart.

I don’t care if we are big, small, medium,

I just love Collingwood.

No Collingwood no football for me. That simple.

15 premierships is pretty good so we weren’t always a loser club. But only 2 in the last 30 years. So I’d consider us a loser club now but I hope our club gets back to winning like it did before.

Stop trying to make a negative case for Collingwood it’s really boring at this time of the year. Embrace what’s ahead of us.

44 GF over the 121 years is unbelievable successful anyway you look at it, more flags would have been a bonus of course but hey reckon there are 17 other clubs that wish they could be in our position

Lighten up!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond may have the most members... but you guys and us are the biggest clubs

Good luck for Season 2019 😊👍

Mods close the thread. Let’s just talk about boring s**t.
Whilst I admit to being confused by the conflict within your post.
I'm happy to oblige given you started the thread.

696912_thumb.jpg

AFL 'Road to the Draft' interview of Derek Hine by Nat Edwards and Cal Twomey ...

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=374758

Episode guide
1:05 – Was the Pies' rise expected or are they ahead of schedule? Hine makes his call.
7:20 – Inside the club's decision to draft NAB AFL Rising Star winner Jaidyn Stephenson.
9:40 – Hine discusses Collingwood's strategy around recruiting key position players.
16:50 – The guys get an update on Brodie Grundy's contract status, plus how the club is planning to keep all of its stars.
20:05 – Hine gives his take on this year's draft pool, including the rival father-son prospect who has impressed him.
28.00 – What the Pies will be looking for at this year's draft and trade period.
29:05 – Will Collingwood use its pick at next week's mid-season rookie draft?
34:50 – Hine explains why the Pies like to surprise draftees with strange questions
36:50 – The Pies on whether there should be changes to Next Generation Academy eligibility.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks just saw this on the AFL website and was wondering where to post this!
696912_thumb.jpg

AFL 'Road to the Draft' interview of Derek Hine interview by Nat Edwards and Cal Twomey ...

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=374758

Episode guide
1:05 – Was the Pies' rise expected or are they ahead of schedule? Hine makes his call.
7:20 – Inside the club's decision to draft NAB AFL Rising Star winner Jaidyn Stephenson.
9:40 – Hine discusses Collingwood's strategy around recruiting key position players.
16:50 – The guys get an update on Brodie Grundy's contract status, plus how the club is planning to keep all of its stars.
20:05 – Hine gives his take on this year's draft pool, including the rival father-son prospect who has impressed him.
28.00 – What the Pies will be looking for at this year's draft and trade period.
29:05 – Will Collingwood use its pick at next week's mid-season rookie draft?
34:50 – Hine explains why the Pies like to surprise draftees with strange questions
36:50 – The Pies on whether there should be changes to Next Generation Academy eligibility.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My take-aways ...

- Hine seems to be quite optimistic about Nathan Murphy’s prospects
- He is optimistic about Tyler Brown’s prospects, but warns that we’re going to need to be very patient
- (My take) The club isn’t necessarily going to use its mid-year rookie pick. They’ll target the players that they’re specifically interested in, but if those players aren’t available, then they’re not going to waste money on bringing someone in just for the sake of it.
- Tom Wilson is focusing on building his footy fitness with the fitness dept, and there are no immediate plans for him to play VFL. It hasn’t been determined yet if he’ll even play VFL this year - he might play later in the year. The club are taking a long term approach to him. No concerns about his skills, it’s purely a fitness thing.
- IQ is on a learning curve about how to play against big bodies. That’s one area where the Victorian lads are behind SA / WA - in those other states the younger kids can get experience playing against bigger bodies in the SANFL / WAFL.

Last edited:
My take-aways ...

- Hine seems to be quite optimistic about Nathan Murphy’a prospects
- He is optimistic about Tyler Brown’s prospects, but warns that we’re going to need to be very patient
- (My take) The club isn’t necessarily going to use its mid-year rookie pick. They’ll target the players that they’re specifically interested in, but if those players aren’t available, then they’re not going to waste money on bringing someone in just for the sake of it.
- Tom Wilson is focusing on building his footy fitness with the fitness dept, and there are no immediate plans for him to play VFL. It hasn’t been determined yet if he’ll even play VFL this year - he might play later in the year. The club are taking a long term approach to him. No concerns about his skills, it’s purely a fitness thing.
- IQ is on a learning curve about how to play against big bodies. That’s one area where the Victorian lads are behind SA / WA - in those other states the younger kids can get experience playing against bigger bodies in the SANFL / WAFL.

- Hine is trying to keep a lid on the Nick Daicos hype because they don't want to put too much pressure on him. Very pleased that Nick is always at the club, loves the club, wants to learn. Is already taller than Josh. Expects him to move to the more elite pathways sooner rather than later.

Cal Twomey was pretty glowing in his opinion of Nick Daicos after watching him play for his school side.

I got the distinct impression Hine likes what he sees in Wilson in terms of footballing talent very much.

Hopefully down the track Murphy, T. Brown and Wilson will serve us well as tall and skilled utilities (my opinion).

Some of my take aways:
- Derek envisages Wilson being utilised as a Gunston style forward.
- The recruitment team will decide over the next 48-72 hours whether they will use our pick in the mid-season draft. Made mention that Wells, Varcoe and Goldsack are closer to the end of their careers than the start, and that they'd need to consider how to replace them.
- Spoke about Cox, stated that he'd likely be no. 1 ruck at 13 or 14 other clubs in the league.

It was a pretty good interview. Nothing ground breaking in terms of inside info, but good to get Hine's take on the development of some guys and the scope he sees/saw. He's got a keen eye, that's for damn sure.

I generally take what Twomey says about prospective Collingwood father sons and NGA kids with a grain of salt, but he sounded positively envious about the prospect of the second young Daicos coming through. It was a different sort of pump up that Twomey normally does. Dekka was keen to put that lid right back on though and perhaps chose the best way to do it by saying these kids are deserving of some opportunity to grow and develop without the weight of expectation just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back