Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a pretty good interview. Nothing ground breaking in terms of inside info, but good to get Hine's take on the development of some guys and the scope he sees/saw. He's got a keen eye, that's for damn sure.

I generally take what Twomey says about prospective Collingwood father sons and NGA kids with a grain of salt, but he sounded positively envious about the prospect of the second young Daicos coming through. It was a different sort of pump up that Twomey normally does. Dekka was keen to put that lid right back on though and perhaps chose the best way to do it by saying these kids are deserving of some opportunity to grow and develop without the weight of expectation just yet.

Really is the catch-22 of being a father-son prospect. You have a better opportunity to get into footy but the expectation and pressure can be so great.

It was a pretty good interview. Nothing ground breaking in terms of inside info, but good to get Hine's take on the development of some guys and the scope he sees/saw. He's got a keen eye, that's for damn sure.

I generally take what Twomey says about prospective Collingwood father sons and NGA kids with a grain of salt, but he sounded positively envious about the prospect of the second young Daicos coming through. It was a different sort of pump up that Twomey normally does. Dekka was keen to put that lid right back on though and perhaps chose the best way to do it by saying these kids are deserving of some opportunity to grow and develop without the weight of expectation just yet.

Well it's still a few seasons before Nick is Draftable so things can Change

Really is the catch-22 of being a father-son prospect. You have a better opportunity to get into footy but the expectation and pressure can be so great.

Espically with a Last Name like Daicos

From my understanding, Nick isn't going to shy away from any of it.

You're right though, in general with father sons it's so exciting to bring the name back into the club and if the kid has any semblance of talent we tend to heap on the expectations even without meaning to. Not a good thing.

Hopefully Nick takes to it like Darcy has rather than, say, Jaxson did. I guess the Ablett brothers are a good example of huge talent but varying levels of desire (for want of a better word).

Said Sier needs to stop reading bigfooty Collingwood board as his ego has outpaced his desire
Except my posts about him.

:p:p:p

Always a great listen is Derek.

Very calm realistic guy.

Also calls players by their proper names eg Nathan not murpho or whatever.

Very measured man.

Was a fascinating byplay in the interview.

I’m very strong in the belief that AFL recruiters (especially the better ones) know where players like Nick Daicos actually sits talent and value wise.

They know if he’s more Peter or more Josh. And wherever else on the scale.
All the rest will be media hype or some pre draft games but in the wash up we’ll pay his value and he will become ours (assuming we rate him ;)).

So it will be in draft end 2021.

• BF has been playing up so I’m breaking up my posts as not sure if BF working at times.

Take aways of Derek interview.

Wilson will enjoy this season as learning curve and fitness development.
His skill is not questioned.
Sounds like he’s seen as a high value piece.

Club knows how to handle the salary cap like all clubs. Nothing new there.
They confident of keeping list together.

Varcoe, Goldsack, Wells all coming to the end and club preparing for replacing same.

Nathan Murphy is highly thought of, and he’ll be something good for us. That came across strongly in my view.

Cox is very important to our list.

Moore was seen as a key position talent and sounds like down back is now settled and better for us.

Tyler Brown with patience looks one they care about.

Quaynor will be a fine player in their view once he gets his go and adapts to the bigger bodies. Being developed well.

They just love Stephenson! (What a get by us.)

Last edited:
From my understanding, Nick isn't going to shy away from any of it.

You're right though, in general with father sons it's so exciting to bring the name back into the club and if the kid has any semblance of talent we tend to heap on the expectations even without meaning to. Not a good thing.

Hopefully Nick takes to it like Darcy has rather than, say, Jaxson did. I guess the Ablett brothers are a good example of huge talent but varying levels of desire (for want of a better word).

I thought Barham did much better than he should have given his (limited) abilities.

Yes and no. He was a pretty uncoordinated kick but he was pretty awesome physically. Moved like Peter Matera. I reckon he could have been developed into an effective tagger.

Not so sure. If you mean by "pretty awesome physically" that he could run really fast then yes, he was, but more generally he was built like a year 7 schoolboy. Was at the Pies and in the Cats system through their VFL squad and neither club had any success. Had atrocious skills (I blame his old man, that was his job) and way too unaccountable for my liking to be tried as a tagger.

Not so sure. If you mean by "pretty awesome physically" that he could run really fast then yes, he was, but more generally he was built like a year 7 schoolboy. Was at the Pies and in the Cats system through their VFL squad and neither club had any success. Had atrocious skills (I blame his old man, that was his job) and way too unaccountable for my liking to be tried as a tagger.
Strength may have been an issue, but his pace, endurance and agility combination was off the charts. I always felt the issue was that he tried to use his assets fir offence but just had awful skills. I would have liked him to try to use his assets for defence .

Yes and no. He was a pretty uncoordinated kick but he was pretty awesome physically. Moved like Peter Matera. I reckon he could have been developed into an effective tagger.
I have to give you a shout out SR.

Never thought of Jaxon and Matera in the same thought space.

But when you think about it...
I always wondered what really killed of Barhams longer term careeer besides that thing he called a moustache?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to give you a shout out SR.

Never thought of Jaxon and Matera in the same thought space.

But when you think about it...
I always wondered what really killed of Barhams longer term careeer besides that thing he called a moustache?
Don't forget the Beams fued.

Do Collingwood supporters rate Hine? Has anyone got any stats on how well he has done over the years?

Sort answer - yes. Widely considered among the top echelon in terms of talent identification, doesn't do as well in terms of trading, shouldn't be left in charge of list management.

Do Collingwood supporters rate Hine? Has anyone got any stats on how well he has done over the years?

Flippant answer ...

Today, yes. When Collingwood are doing well then in Hine we trust.

Eighteen months ago many fans wanted to toss him out on his ear. When Collingwood are doing poorly we want to turf everybody out of the club from the President to the Boot Studder.

Considered answer ...

Hine’s role has changed a bit. These days he’s focused just on talent identification. Up until 18 months ago he was doing list management as well. List Management has now been given to somebody else (Ned Guy). As much as we can see from the outside, it appears things are running better with this new arrangement.

Flippant answer ...

Today, yes. When Collingwood are doing well then in Hine we trust.

Eighteen months ago many fans wanted to toss him out on his ear. When Collingwood are doing poorly we want to turf everybody out of the club from the President to the Boot Studder.

Considered answer ...

Hine’s role has changed a bit. These days he’s focused just on talent identification. Up until 18 months ago he was doing list management as well. List Management has now been given to somebody else (Ned Guy). As much as we can see from the outside, it appears things are running better with this new arrangement.

Hine was a Bad List Manager but he is Fantastic at Talent Identification.

I have noticed a bit this Season we have Depth in some Postions like Medium Forwards but we don't have any Real KPF's at all as Hine has only picked Paine,Gault.McLarty in the National Draft and other 2 Moore and Kelly where Father Sons since 2010.

Also we have a Real Lack of Crumbers. Yes we had Abbott and Kirby and we did not have much luck with them. With Abbott going AWOL after 1 Season and then Kirby's Heart Issue.

Then look at our Midfield we have some Good Inside/Outside Mids but outside of Adams and Maybe Sier we don't have many other Inside/Clarence Players.

Hine has been good of finding players but there too similar to each other.

Thoughts?

I have noticed a bit this Season we have Depth in some Postions like Medium Forwards but we don't have any Real KPF's at all as Hine has only picked Paine,Gault.McLarty in the National Draft and other 2 Moore and Kelly where Father Sons since 2010.

Also we have a Real Lack of Crumbers. Yes we had Abbott and Kirby and we did not have much luck with them. With Abbott going AWOL after 1 Season and then Kirby's Heart Issue.

Then look at our Midfield we have some Good Inside/Outside Mids but outside of Adams and Maybe Sier we don't have many other Inside/Clarence Players.

Hine has been good of finding players but there too similar to each other.

Thoughts?
Having a million injuries a year certainly isn't helping.

doesnt help when our two crumbers are in horrific form (JT and Varcoe).

We need to recruit more indigenous talent, we really lack in that department an have for a while.

Varcoe is Finshed and JT has been Terrible this year. Maybe lack of Motivation with a Contact for JT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back