Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit disappointing, I would have thought funds would extend to a solitary local reporter. I presume his position will be absorbed into a Melbourne journo’s brief?

Without Michael we will get next to no coverage and the Victorian bias will go unchecked.

Very sad news, and will miss him on the podcasts

It will Probably be Mitch Cleary or Riley Beveridge writing about the Lions for the AFL.
They seem to be the ones doing the more recent stuff about Qld Clubs.

I wont be getting my hopes up on the quality of Lions material coming out of AFL media now. Vic based journo just banging out fluff pieces on the lions will be their go to, little substance and insight. So disappointing Fish has been stood down, I really enjoy his work.

Looks like only the Melbourne based AFL.com journo’s survive.

The journo’s for WA, SA, NSW and QLD (Mike Whitting) all stood down until September at least.

This follows widespread cuts to all forms of media at the moment.
2C7775EA-7B9E-4328-9ADA-71DA6E1A5384.jpeg BEC2D10D-DC11-4ACE-82FA-2AD0746E9D8F.jpeg

Would there be enough interest in better quality sports journalism for people to actually pay for the content.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good record from the Rebels regarding brothers going on to play AFL

Jarrod & Tom Berry @ Lions
Brad & Mat Crouch @ Adelaide
Tom & Oscar McDonald @ Melbourne
Twins Nathan Brown @ Collingwood but Nathon Brown @ St KIlda (previously WCE)

Don’t work for me👎
Pay wall!
so if jackess can copy and paste?

Rebels siblings realise family dream in AFL
  • David Brehaut
Latest News

BROTHERS IN ARMS: Jarrod, left, and Tom Berry pictured shortly after the 2018 AFL national draft. Picture: Getty Images

BROTHERS IN ARMS: Jarrod, left, and Tom Berry pictured shortly after the 2018 AFL national draft. Picture: Getty Images

Tom Berry will step out for his first AFL appearance with the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

This will be no ordinary debut though.

Making it all the more special will be that he lines up alongside his other brother Jarrod against Fremantle in the round two encounter.

Each has been named on interchange as the AFL resumes from a COVID-19 enforced break.

Like his brother a product of Horsham Saints, Tom Berry had two wishes at the end of his last season with the Greater Western Victoria Rebels under-18s in 2018.

His first was to follow in Jarrod's footsteps and be drafted into the AFL.

And then if this did happen, his dream was that it would be the Brisbane Lions who selected him to allow him to play with his brother.

With each of these being realised, the 20-year-old now fulfills another desire to play with Jarrod at the top level.

There is no one more proud of the brothers' achievements than their father Troy, who owing to Queensland's border closures as part of COVID-19 restrictions will not be at the game.

"It is just one of those super proud moments. I think Brisbane supporters will be hearing me cheering on Saturday from down here,'' Troy Berry told the Brisbane Lions website.

"It was his boyhood dream to play AFL and to get to play alongside his older brother.

"It is hard to describe what it means to him and to all of us in his family, it is what dreams are made of.

"Whether there are crowds there or not or the fact I can't be there, it pales into insignificance against the opportunity he has been given to realise his lifelong goal," he said.

"It is a step in the journey, I'll get that opportunity down the track.''

Berry senior said he never once imagined he would have two sons playing in the AFL, let alone alongside each other.

However, he said his late wife Jedda would not be in the least bit surprised.

"I never allowed myself to go there, but certainly my late wife and the boys mum honestly believed they had big futures in front of them.

"She could see it."

Jarrod Berry debuted in 2018 and has played 57 games.

The Berrys are not the first brothers from the Rebels to play as teammates in the AFL.

They join Brad and Matt Crouch at Adelaide, and Tom and Oscar McDonald at Melbourne with the distinction.
Twins brothers Nathan and Mitch Brown were also drafted from the Rebels, but were selected by Collingwood and West Coast Eagles repsectively. Nathan Brown has since moved onto St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back