Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering he said we would be asking for a PP, that's something. Especially when last week we heard Carlton say they wouldn't be asking for one.

Yeah the show is usually pretty pro-Brisbane, Brown obviously but if you watch Healy's commentary he is heavily pro-Brisbane (he backed us to make finals this year). So no big bones to pick.

I have no problem with us asking the question - forces Gil and the AFL to make a decision and rationalise that "...everything is OK in Qld". Our record of being stuck on the bottom of the ladder is hard to refute.
Unfortunately, the AFL in the past haven't bothered to rationalise it at all, and won't need to again - we are out of sight, out of mind come offseason. Last year there wasn't even an announcement on lions.com.au, let alone afl.com.au, when we were rejected for a priority pick. That said, that was very suspiciously unusual -- the club not even announcing it was really odd. Makes me hope for some potential agreement with AFL House, like "shut up for a few months and stay out of the spotlight, we'll exert our control over the media to talk you up so you can get some dollars in the door next season, and if you still suck next year, then we'll give you something good".

The media narrative really has shifted this year in a big way - we're no longer a basketcase, we're young and promising again. This is good for sales, but potentially bad for priority picks, because as politicians have perfected, if you repeat something over and over again, eventually people believe it (at least partially). The media commentators keep spitting out "bright future" and "a lot of young talent on the list" and "very close to moving up the ladder", and it seems odd to award us one, and that it's only partially true is irrelevant. It's really good that we've been more competitive this year, even without wins, but that'll harm us come the end of the year.

My view is that we're developing a good list, but with the depth of talent we've lost, we're still a huge margin behind the rest of the comp. Left to our own devices, we'll start to get competitive, then we'll lose 3 or 4 key players to retirement, and then we'll be back down to rebuild again in before really challenging for anything. And sadly, my view is also that the AFL won't mind this at all, though they'd probably prefer us to scrape into 8th for one year before that happens just to restart the clock.

Boomer Harvey on channel 9's Future Stars said this week that we should get a priority pick when discussing the Lions list.

I don't watch or listen to too much AFL media, but the only bloke I've heard consistently say we shouldn't get one is Cal Twomey.

Boomer Harvey on channel 9's Future Stars said this week that we should get a priority pick when discussing the Lions list.

I don't watch or listen to too much AFL media, but the only bloke I've heard consistently say we shouldn't get one is Cal Twomey.
If we end up with 1-3 wins I can't see how we don't get one, just get rid of it altogether if we get knocked back. Even a pick at the end of the first round would be really good this year, Thomas Berry to go with our Jarrod Berry selection of a couple of drafts ago.

If we end up with 1-3 wins I can't see how we don't get one, just get rid of it altogether if we get knocked back. Even a pick at the end of the first round would be really good this year, Thomas Berry to go with our Jarrod Berry selection of a couple of drafts ago.

It would be beyond ridiculous after getting one to finish last and then bottom 2 (possibly last) and not get another one.

The bottom 4 teams have all been pretty horrible similar to last year. Can't see us finishing higher than 16th.

Yeah if we finish with less then four wins for the season we have every right to ask for a PP and should receive it otherwise whats the point. They couldn't hand them out fast enough when the likes of Collingwood - Carlton - Hawthorn - Richmond asked for them.

Fagan On The Couch last night was adamant we need to help clubs down the bottom so we will be asking come seasons end.

3 wins would see us at 15 wins in the last four seasons with two second lasts, a spoon and whatever this year ends up being. If that record doesn't qualify a team for one I don't know what does. Granted we got an end of first round priority pick two years ago but if we're still bottom 2/3 two years after I think that's grounds to ask for another one. End of first round would still suffice. Package it with next year's first in a trade and try and get a quality 23+ mid on the list or another early first round this year. Can't say a first round priority wouldn't go a long way towards bringing the talent level to parity with where we need to be to compete long term.

3 wins would see us at 15 wins in the last four seasons with two second lasts, a spoon and whatever this year ends up being. If that record doesn't qualify a team for one I don't know what does. Granted we got an end of first round priority pick two years ago but if we're still bottom 2/3 two years after I think that's grounds to ask for another one. End of first round would still suffice. Package it with next year's first in a trade and try and get a quality 23+ mid on the list or another early first round this year. Can't say a first round priority wouldn't go a long way towards bringing the talent level to parity with where we need to be to compete long term.

Or they could do something different and give us first dibs on the best mature ager.

Or they could do something different and give us first dibs on the best mature ager.

I don't mind if they get creative about it in a way that doesn't put other team's noses too out of joint. Still would prefer the pick but as long as we're able to bridge that talent gap in our list to help us start climbing the ladder and competing long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about if we were Able to hunt a target of our choosing ie: mature player within the competition maybe blokes that are on the verge of pushing A grade talent and could convince them to come on good money obviously. (Angus Brayshaw).
We get the player for free and the club that loses the player is the one that is compensated by the AFL. Say pick 5 in the upcoming draft as compensation for losing the player?
Shoot me down - just a thought!

I liked the idea that G Healy put forward On the Couch that any team who hasn't made the finals for X number of years (number suggested was 3) gets a pick at the end of the first round. Takes out the "secret herbs and spices" system and goes back to a hard and fast set of rules that take discretion out of it.

I liked the idea that G Healy put forward On the Couch that any team who hasn't made the finals for X number of years (number suggested was 3) gets a pick at the end of the first round. Takes out the "secret herbs and spices" system and goes back to a hard and fast set of rules that take discretion out of it.
Commented about this in the draft thread but if they were to make real change for those teams I believe it should be before the top 8 teams. So starting at pick 11 as there is more quality around that mark.

Healy stole my idea of basing draft order on the previous 3 seasons then having a points system based of the academy bidding points to allow draft picks to be allocated based on wins rather than ladder position.

What about if we were Able to hunt a target of our choosing ie: mature player within the competition maybe blokes that are on the verge of pushing A grade talent and could convince them to come on good money obviously. (Angus Brayshaw).
We get the player for free and the club that loses the player is the one that is compensated by the AFL. Say pick 5 in the upcoming draft as compensation for losing the player?
Shoot me down - just a thought!
I like thinking out of the box, the only issue you'll come up with is the free agent issue. We can't attract them. The AFL could tip in $250k and we'd still fail to get an A grader. We'd get more Bells and Bastis.

I like thinking out of the box, the only issue you'll come up with is the free agent issue. We can't attract them. The AFL could tip in $250k and we'd still fail to get an A grader. We'd get more Bells and Bastis.
Agree. At least untill we start playing finals, we'll be looking at delisted players or homesick ones.

My thoughts as well. Finding someone willing to come. Definitely an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back