Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bet the odds have just changed.

My goodness - what a trade win this has been. Neale's attitude will definitely influence our youngster and he will pass on what he is learning.

Charlie Cameron has also said he wants to be one of the best, we know McStay has/had outside coaching and I am sure there are others with or seeking the same type of edge.

Sports science is at the point where there is little difference between professional athletes training and skills. The ability to win is attitude and mental strength during training and performance and our boys are seeking every advantage.

With this level of want to excel in our team we might end up as back to back premiers (20/21) cause they wont be happy with one. So exciting to be lions fan right now.

I find the snippets about Mitchell interesting and in particular his statement that Williams virtually mentored him away from the Swans. Mitchell says he was playing a lot of reserves football at Sydney and wasn't sure whether he was going to make it as an AFL footballer. That doesn't stack up. Although he did play a lot of reserves footy early on, in 2015 he played 19 games and in 2016 26 games. He was well and truly entrenched in the Swans best 22 in 2016 and they tried very hard to keep him.

Yes.... it's a great story

Greg Williams approached Neale on Brownlow night for a chat last year. It’s understood the 1995 premiership on-baller was keen to assist the 25 year-old, which humbled the soon-to-be traded ball-winner.
The partnership between the two has been approved by the Lions and resulted in Williams flying to the club’s training headquarters recently to help Neale with goal setting and stoppage work among other football-specific attributes.
The work Williams has been doing with Neale since February complements the ex-Docker’s training at Brisbane and is understood to be funded by Neale himself.

Good stuff from Hodge here: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/luke-hodge-when-youth-drive-standards/

I know my best footy is behind me. I can still do a few things OK, but I’ll be turning 35 in a couple of months, so my role within the team isn’t what it used to be.

The boys don’t mind reminding me of this. The banter flies thick and fast around the club. The Raynors and the Witherdens of the world refer to me as ‘Fossil’ and any other old-timers gag they can think of. They’re cheeky buggers, but so was I at that age so I can’t be too hard on them.

Witherden needs to be careful, though. He owes me about ten lunches and I haven’t called in the debt yet. We have little skills challenges after training, things like goals from the pocket, with a little side wager on the result. You’d reckon he’d be beating an old fella like me – he was three when I made my AFL debut! – but he struggles. I let him know this from time-to-time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given they have now bought a house, is it too big an assumption that he will be with the club in a coaching capacity next season? I know that was always the tentative plan/hope, but they seem to have settled now

Fagan wasnt confident about it on the road deal. Said Hodge would most like pursue business and media gigs post footy.

Knowing the AFL we are unlikely to win, but good on the club for standing up for itself :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...2A3dbykdjVhYO0loGVl9Fz_9pKLNRlElePIisWvWa0CSI

The Brisbane Lions have highlighted Essendon's capacity to recruit the son of triple premiership Lion Chris Johnson as an example of how the contentious Next Generation Academies need to be reformed.
The Lions have already told the AFL that Lachie Johnson - the son of ex-Lions great Chris Johnson - shouldn't be eligible to join Essendon via the Dons' NGA, and should only be eligible as a Lions father-son - a position that they will put on record to the AFL in the league's ongoing review of the NGA and northern academies.

Knowing the AFL we are unlikely to win, but good on the club for standing up for itself :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...2A3dbykdjVhYO0loGVl9Fz_9pKLNRlElePIisWvWa0CSI

The Brisbane Lions have highlighted Essendon's capacity to recruit the son of triple premiership Lion Chris Johnson as an example of how the contentious Next Generation Academies need to be reformed.
The Lions have already told the AFL that Lachie Johnson - the son of ex-Lions great Chris Johnson - shouldn't be eligible to join Essendon via the Dons' NGA, and should only be eligible as a Lions father-son - a position that they will put on record to the AFL in the league's ongoing review of the NGA and northern academies.
Got to give credit to Jake Niall, he's been the only journalist I'm aware that has been talking about the rorting of the NGA system by the Vic clubs, and he's gone about it in a pretty even handed manner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back