Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Great little story by Sam McClure about Lachie Neale coming to Brisbane:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ite-seeing-perth-as-home-20181127-p50io7.html

“I feel like the playing group is in a hurry to go places really quickly and they want to learn and grow as quickly as possible and achieve as much as we can in a really short amount of time and that was really appealing.

“Once I met with Brisbane, I felt like I didn’t need to meet with anyone else. I felt like this was the place to be.”

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Confident Lions roll the dice on injured players
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-07/confident-lions-roll-the-dice-on-injured-players

Since Peter Blanch came in as the head of medical at the Lions prior to the 2017 season – the same time as coach Chris Fagan and football manager David Noble – the club has had one of the best injury records in the AFL.

Brisbane had a staggering 19 players who lined up for 18 matches or more last season. That's continuity.

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Midfielders and defenders are best value from an improving Brisbane Lions squad
The Phantom, The Advertiser
an hour ago

Whether you are punting on a mid-price selection or backing the favourite, it’s not always easy picking a winner in SuperCoach. To help, The Phantom predicts Brisbanes’s best 22 and delivers a racing-style summer formguide covering every player in it.

The Phantom’s Best 22:
B:
Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Luke Hodge
HB: Alex Witherden, Marcus Adams, Daniel Rich
C: Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Mitch Robinson, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Dan McStay, Allen Christensen
1R: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko
INTER: Lincoln McCarthy, Lewis Taylor, Tom Cutler, Zac Bailey

THE PHANTOM’S FORMGUIDE
(Ranked in order of SuperCoach significance in 2019)

LACHIE NEALE (MID $607,300)
Expect the same despite change of colours. Will take some catching as Brisbane’s No. 1 scorer in 2019.

STEFAN MARTIN (RUCK $573,700)
Comes right into calculations given the price of top-ranked big men. Should be prominent again after finishing 2018 as 11th-ranked scorer.
6e6f3c1c0087a89cc9ada9a2cde7b381
Alex Witherden, third from left, could take his game to another level in 2019.ALEX WITHERDEN (DEF $455,000)
The young star, who boasts brilliant foot skills, looks set to be a major player in 2019. One of Brisbane’s most damaging on his day. Get on.
HARRIS ANDREWS (DEF $480,100)
Rates highly again after posting six SuperCoach tons in the first 12 rounds of a breakout 2018 season. Must be included.
DAYNE ZORKO (MID $520,200)
One of the major SuperCoach players on his day but can he brush opposition attention for a full year? Better than 2018 average suggests.
b4cae54cbab0308b0065dc3bb7883840
Hugh McCluggage, right, is tackled by team-mate Dayne Zorko.HUGH MCCLUGGAGE (MID $416,800)
After adding 23 points to his average in 2018, expect another similar spike from Brisbane’s
classiest midfielder this season. Should have plenty of admirers - The Phantom included.
JARRYD LYONS (MID $502,000)
Impressive numbers despite mid-year spell from the seniors at the Suns last year. Could flourish in developing on-ball brigade and is a great mid-round SuperCoach Draft selection.
ZAC BAILEY (FWD/MID $275,900)
Impressive last start – 20 disposals, two goals and 87 points – and should get the chance to improve on debut season. Keep in mind.
JARROD BERRY (MID $434,300)
After finishing off a strong second season with three tons in the final four matches, the young midfielder looks likely to improve again this year. Awkward price but worth some thought.
9887a1da00bc3008f2d1b6a25fe29d7c
Don’t forget about Mitch Robinson in SuperCoach this season.MITCH ROBINSON (FWD/MID $496,600)
Tough 29-year-old is often overlooked despite some great numbers. Commands respect in 2019 after scoring 80 points or more in 14 of his 19 games last year. Might slide in some SuperCoach drafts.
CAM RAYNER (FWD $327,700)
A definite threat. But 2020 could be his year as he begins to build into the powerful midfielder we all expect him to become.

Play
Mute

0:00
/
2:15
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
31ec8db9895fcf067813bb8e4070e31d

44d652100670fa353cd53bb1ac4cf9b3

GF hero no lock in for Eagles
DANIEL RICH (DEF $428,200)
Given the rise of the young stars, it’s hard to see the left-footer featuring prominently from a SuperCoach point-of-view in 2019. Look elsewhere in the classic format.
LINCOLN MCCARTHY (FWD $247,500)
New recruit is resuming from horrible run with injury but commands respect if his body holds up.
MARCUS ADAMS (DEF $339,600)
Impressive form when fit and could command a spot in Brisbane’s back six – ahead of Josh Walker - if he’s ready to go come Round 1. Do not dismiss.
TOM CUTLER (MID $439,700)
Five SuperCoach tons last season means he must be respected in 2019. But more as a late-round draft selection.
e2a2b3e61b665e071a1ff110ef88e275
Can Charlie Cameron bounce back from an injury-riddled first year at Brisbane?CHARLIE CAMERON (FWD 387,400)
Resuming after a Lisfranc injury ended his first season as a Lion prematurely. Expect the dangerous small forward to have an influence, as he did in the first 11 games, but hard to recommend at the price.
ERIC HIPWOOD (FWD $281,800)
Needs a bag to trouble the SuperCoach scorers and, while they might come more consistently this season, look elsewhere.
ee92abb434152e6b1aafb8a3643feff8
Veteran Luke Hodge could still play a significant role for the Lions in 2019.LUKE HODGE (DEF $451,400)
The 324-game stayer commands respect but others now have stronger claims in SuperCoach.
ALLEN CHRISTENSEN (FWD $395,000)
The popular 2018 selection is great scorer on his day but not at that price this season.
LEWIS TAYLOR (FWD $390,400)
Solid contributor but doesn’t do quite enough to have strong SuperCoach claims here. Average fell by eight points in 2018
DARCY GARDINER (DEF $382,400)
Won more of the footy and took more marks as the year went on but it’s still not enough to have him in the SuperCoach mix in 2019.
DANIEL MCSTAY (FWD $300,900)
Not keen. SuperCoach is not his thing.
MAKING THEIR CASE
Rhys Mathieson (Fwd/mid $365,00) is well-and-truly in the best 25, while Josh Walker (Def $389,700) could keep Adams out after an impressive 2018. Ben Keays (Mid $260,600) might finally take the next step after dominating in the NEAFL and draftee Ely Smith (Mid $117,300) is a big-bodied midfielder ready for senior football.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwood on SEN this morning, only caught the last 30 seconds of it but will post a link when they tweet it up. Jeez they pump him up though.
Long time friends of the Hipwood Clan, suffice to say The Lions are now my 2nd team to support. Quite ironic that a lot of other clubs supporters & the media pump him up significantly more than his own club supporters do. I guess it's easy to underestimate his potential because this will be his 4th season & expectation of him performing is much higher than someone who hasn't shown as much from their initial introduction to first class footy. It will be fascinating to witness his rise in the AFL as he mature's into the footballer he can be once he hits 25 years old and beyond. GO HIPPY.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We haven't underestimated him, not by a long shot....We just don't go around blowing our own trumpet, prefer to go under the radar.

..so having said that, we are all well aware of Hippy's potential and really are looking forward to seeing that potential to fruition.

Welcome to the Lions world, enjoy the ride.

We haven't underestimated him, not by a long shot....We just don't go around blowing our own trumpet, prefer to go under the radar.

..so having said that, we are all well aware of Hippy's potential and really are looking forward to seeing that potential to fruition.

Even Chris Fagan does his best to down play the hype. To ease any pressure on a young Key Position Player.
Imagine the pressure from the media blokes like Daniher and Hogan would get in the Footy Bubble. I don’t think that will ease with Hogan moving West.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even Chris Fagan does his best to down play the hype. To ease any pressure on a young Key Position Player.
Imagine the pressure from the media blokes like Daniher and Hogan would get in the Footy Bubble. I don’t think that will ease with Hogan moving West.
Agree Dlions. Seems like both Andrews & Hippy fly under the radar a lot more than say Berry/Witherden/Rayner etc and both are labelled home grown products which is fantastic for the club & the competition. Both have been key position players in the AFL since teenagers which I don't think any other club in the comp can say. The pressure would be and is enormous. Hope they don't get broke before their time to shine the brightest comes.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree Dlions. Seems like both Andrews & Hippy fly under the radar a lot more than say Berry/Witherden/Rayner etc and both are labelled home grown products which is fantastic for the club & the competition. Both have been key position players in the AFL since teenagers which I don't think any other club in the comp can say. The pressure would be and is enormous. Hope they don't get broke before their time to shine the brightest comes.

Andrews is the second highest rated key back but champion data I believe.

A lot point to Heeny n Mills from Sydney's academy. Give me Hippy n Andrews anyday.

Welcome Mighty Lions.

I might be a little over-sensitive to it but he’s getting a little bit of “whipping boy” status among a few people at games. “Shitwood” seems to be their mocking term of choice. Pretty ordinary stuff directed at a youngster.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If that is happening then those people need a good hard look at themselves. Loud mouthed yobo's by the sound of it, and probably boozed up as well.

Surely would have to be in the minority though, and unfortunately every team has them. Disgusting lot of low-lifes.

Without starting a brawl, perhaps those around them could just remind them of who he plays for, who they supposedly barrack for and to ease up on the derogative stuff..

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I might be a little over-sensitive to it but he’s getting a little bit of “whipping boy” status among a few people at games. “Shitwood” seems to be their mocking term of choice. Pretty ordinary stuff directed at a youngster.
They'd be the same supporters:rolleyes: who yell and scream "kick it" "go forward" and boo etc. when we are switching play across the back when there is nobody to bloody kick it to up field or if there is they are grossly out numbered.

Luckily we here on the Lions Big Footy Board are much more sophisticated and informed re the nuances/strategies of the game.:footy:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've noticed this a little bit with the younger players too. When I was at Spotless last year for the Giants match there was a Lions supporter who was fixated on McCluggage, constantly yelling out that he was useless and could only hit his passes if it was to Berry. Very strange attitude to have.

Wouldn’t surprise anyone who’s read the comments on the Lions Facebook page. Lots of morons out there.

Back