Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems to me that "click bait" Barrett is the most detested journo in the industry. He can give it out but is pathetically thin skinned at anything coming back and then turns nasty and vindictive. He has history now with Leppa and Bevo and Hodge and Hodge will not take a step back for the jerk. It is time that someone put him back in his box!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I didn’t realise Barrett was up in Brisbane for a few years; was it covering AFL? If so, chances are he was put in his box a few times and has a chip on his shoulder about the Lions as a result; would explain a lot.

I didn’t realise Barrett was up in Brisbane for a few years; was it covering AFL? If so, chances are he was put in his box a few times and has a chip on his shoulder about the Lions as a result; would explain a lot.
I have vague memories that he did cover the AFL for the Courier Mail at some point but I might be misremembering.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I also don't agree with players being interviewed during a game, before and after is enough imo, BUT this bloke goes way to far. Once again, I hope Hodgey has a go back at him, some of the things said in that article is both spiteful and malicious..he really is a piece of works.

..also the club needs to re-think having our boys interviewed, I feel pretty sure Hodgey would've told Abbey Holmes to rack off when he was laying on his stomach getting attended to had it been up to him, but apparently he was asked to do it. Wrong imo, was very intrusive.

I feel the same way for any players from other teams too, a lot of the time these in game interviews or miked up to hear what's happening during play, just makes me squirm. Time to tell the tv channels enough is enough.

Last edited:

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Hope Hodgey has another swing. As he said, he did it last year when we won games and nothing was said about it then.

Cowardly and underhanded. Plus sends major creepy vibes, like those guys who try to get back at women who reject them.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The Saturday Stretch with Brad Johnson and Dermott Brereton is the pick of the review footy shows for mine and tonight's summary of our game was no exception with a really thorough analysis. Makes Sunday's Gameday and The Sunday Footy Show look really amateurish, which they are.

Hopefully the club will upload the lengthy interview of Mitch Robinson being interviewed by Lynch and Mooney after the game and the footage of him receiving the Marcus Ashcroft Medal, but it was a cracking interview.

The Saturday Stretch with Brad Johnson and Dermott Brereton is the pick of the review footy shows for mine and tonight's summary of our game was no exception with a really thorough analysis. Makes Sunday's Gameday and The Sunday Footy Show look really amateurish, which they are.

Hopefully the club will upload the lengthy interview of Mitch Robinson being interviewed by Lynch and Mooney after the game and the footage of him receiving the Marcus Ashcroft Medal, but it was a cracking interview.

Is that online?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha good old Bev having a whinge at the umpires for not giving his forward Naughton more free kicks.

Well if you hadn't missed 6+ easy shots on goal, you wouldn't be saying that.

Incredible hypocrisy from the club that has benefited the most from free kicks.

Is there a bigger pack of whingers than the Bulldogs?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How typical; the Sunday Footy Show, which goes for two hours, didn't even bother reviewing our game.

And they call it a footy show.:rolleyes:

Amazes me that there isn't a decent footy program that reviews all games at the conclusion of the round (on a Sunday night) and yet we're left with the Sunday Footy Show and Gameday that only have to really review 6-7 games and then Bounce, which is more variety show than anything resembling a footy show.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha good old Bev having a whinge at the umpires for not giving his forward Naughton more free kicks.

Well if you hadn't missed 6+ easy shots on goal, you wouldn't be saying that.

Incredible hypocrisy from the club that has benefited the most from free kicks.

They could also consider playing their unbelievably talented 19 year old key defender as a key defender too. Easton Wood has been pretty average this year. and they don't have anyone in defence who can take talls.

There was a pretty unintentionally funny thread a few weeks ago comparing the Boyd trade and the Buddy acquisition. Yeah Boyd helped win them a flag but he's played one good game and is eating up their salary cap.

How typical; the Sunday Footy Show, which goes for two hours, didn't even bother reviewing our game.

Amazes me that there isn't a decent footy program that reviews all games at the conclusion of the round (on a Sunday night) and yet we're left with the Sunday Footy Show and Gameday that only have to really review 6-7 games and then Bounce, which is more variety show than anything resembling a footy show.
I don't mind the Footyolgy Podcast. They go through each game at least.

Do you mean Fox Footy's Saturday Stretch program? No, channel 504 on Fox.

As for the segment involving the Lions and Mitch Robinson, I couldn't find it online late last night, so hopefully the club puts up the 3-4 minute interview with Mitch.

Oh it's on Fox? Hopefully it's on Foxtel Now and I can check it out.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

In general the standard of journalistic coverage of our great game is ordinary, by and large a bunch of sycophantic boys club buffoons trying to be THE story and promoting/showcasing their "brand/personality".

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Nine things we learned (Round 6)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-28/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-six

9. Brisbane's recruiters got it spot on
While the Lions have largely gone about their rebuild by picking up high-end talent through the national draft – think McCluggage, Rayner, Berry and Witherden –the club's recruiting team deserves a huge pat on the back for adding the perfect blend of mature talent. In Saturday's win over Gold Coast, arguably the four best players on the ground have all previously played elsewhere. Mitch Robinson continued a stellar start to 2019 by winning the Marcus Ashcroft Medal, but it could have easily gone to either Lachie Neale or Jarryd Lyons for their influential roles. Then there was Charlie Cameron, down the past two weeks but back to his best with 21 disposals and two goals. Whether it was picking up players other clubs didn't want in Robinson and Lyons or eyeing off players they thought would fit the club's trajectory like Neale and Cameron, the Lions have done a fantastic job in identifying players that could help their climb. And they're probably not done yet. - Michael Whiting

Back