Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Err..

M

Much as I liked Battle yesterday there are 4 words why you will not yet see him in our firsts: McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt.

Add to that that he is the youngest player on our list. If he maintains that sort of form and if we have an injury they may give him a taste at some stage. Otherwise he just gets to complete his VCE this year and gets some experience at Sandi.
He'll line up against Port next week, or I'll buy another membership!!
With a scratch match at Etihad, he's justified his inclusion for next week after bagging 5..

Watched the replay last night.

I had a hard time recognising anyone in the Zebs uniform particularly because they didn't have their numbers. Obviously Battle, Dunstan and Steele stood out at times but TBH that's pretty much all I got from the yellows!

Billings- Brilliant. Time to start bringing that to games.

DMac- If any of our mids get off to a slow start for the year no doubt we'll go with his speed and skill.

Battle- Brilliant drafting. I'm not going to get carried away and say McCartin, Bruce and Membrey are in trouble but he kicked goals on Dempster and Gilbert which is no easy feat. He knows how to kick goals which is the most important thing for a forward, not irrelevant combine crap.

Thought Dunstan was good. I've always rated his ball use when kicking short. He can butcher it when he tries to kick it too long or hard but I've never seen anything worrying about his disposal.

Stevens walks into our midfield.

And FWIW jaxons posted that Longer destroyed Hickey which was acknowledged internally from the coaching staff.
I'd agree with that. Neither was particularly useful around the ground but Billy physically battered Hick.

As for Dunstan, was it wishful thinking or did he look a yard quicker?

*Wanders over to Saintcesspool... reads a post saying Billings wasn't BOG...*

vsJ4suaXKjULH6xbY8-hp9ZSgDlL2pj0ln8CddFiDQSV7mAf7edBvzfMpAYo8oKx3_NC6HEjcj5HHM6p=w400-h225-nc

*leaves*

I'd agree with that. Neither was particularly useful around the ground but Billy physically battered Hick.

As for Dunstan, was it wishful thinking or did he look a yard quicker?

He just looked stronger. It was also the running and running and running. It was said in the commentary how much running he was doing when recovering from the shoulder and you could see the benefits. Hope this will be the kickstart he needs

And FWIW jaxons posted that Longer destroyed Hickey which was acknowledged internally from the coaching staff.
People will bitch about this can of worms opening again, but this is excellent, absolutely excellent

Any reason why Billings swirls the ball around when taking a set shot? Seems his goal kicking routine is a bit loose. Not trying to criticise, but it might be something that needs to improve. Exceptional field kick mind you. You look at set shot Membrey's action, it's completely steady all the way through the follow through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually surprised with the initial responses - thought they had to be joking. Billy clearly controlled the centre square and did some good work in tight.

I agree with everyone that the likelihood of Battle getting regular games this year is low. But one option that hasn't been considered much is that he, McCartin, Bruce and Membrey may be able to play in the one forward line after all.

First, remember that Bruce has been playing second ruck last year, so he wouldn't be a permanent forward in any case. More compelling support for this possibility comes from arguably the best forward line in the comp in 2016: Adelaide. For most games last year, they played Walker (193cm), Jenkins (200cm), Lynch (192cm) and McGovern (191cm) in the same forward line, along with Betts and Cameron. Compare that to McCartin (193cm), Bruce (197cm), Battle (193cm) and Membrey (188cm)- we're actually shorter than Adelaide, even with Battle playing. Given that Membrey plays tall but is actually a medium forward who is quick and good at ground level, and throw in any 2 out of Weller/Billings/Gresham, and I'm not sure we would actually be too top heavy.

Just a thought!

So if Longer forces his spot into R1 ruck role, it's back to Hickey to be traded I take it? Just after signing a two year extension?

I mean, 2015 Hickey is being traded because Longer was number one, 2016 Longer traded because Hickey was number one....

Massive Hickey fan and his 2016 season was fantastic.. but would not be shocked one little bit if he's overtaken by Longer again, feel Longer can really come into his own this season. I'm backing him to return to number one ruck position if not to start the year definitely to end it.

JLT series will be very, very interesting between these two guys!

So if Longer forces his spot into R1 ruck role, it's back to Hickey to be traded I take it? Just after signing a two year extension?

I mean, 2015 Hickey is being traded because Longer was number one, 2016 Longer traded because Hickey was number one....

Massive Hickey fan and his 2016 season was fantastic.. but would not be shocked one little bit if he's overtaken by Longer again, feel Longer can really come into his own this season. I'm backing him to return to number one ruck position if not to start the year definitely to end it.

JLT series will be very, very interesting between these two guys!
Can't see Longer overtaking Hick unless he can massively improve his running. It's as key to the role as the actual tap work.

Longer always seems way behind in running drills

Can't see Longer overtaking Hick unless he can massively improve his running. It's as key to the role as the actual tap work.

Longer always seems way behind in running drills
And although he dominated the tap, i don't remember too many going to advantage. That's my recollection of 2015 as well - he looked good and strong, but didn't really seem to pay off for us in terms of first use.

Hickey will start the year as number 1 and was not destroyed. Odd comment that....

As I said, in that one half of footy, Longer got the edge in the ruck but Hickey got around the ground better. Nonetheless if Billy gets the number 1 gig then all the better for us

Hickey will start the year as number 1 and was not destroyed. Odd comment that....

As I said, in that one half of footy, Longer got the edge in the ruck but Hickey got around the ground better. Nonetheless if Billy gets the number 1 gig then all the better for us

Hickey's tank was a major reason he did so well last year and is still the number one in my eyes currently. Billy is strong in the contest but not sure he has the tank and the fitness to get to all those ruck contests around the ground again and again - yet!!

I rate them both and think we have the best two young rucks in the league supported by Pierce who I also like with cover/cameo by Holmes.

I'll be very interested to see what happens at seasons end with our ruck division - what changes are made, (if any)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back