Training Intra Club - Saturday 10/02/18 @ 10:00am - replay links in post 189

Remove this Banner Ad

after watching noticed a few things

last year I hated how we kept routinely hitting the same spot from kick outs - however in this I noticed the red team in particular seemed to be going by hand to players stationed around the boundary, worked well...draw player, handball over the top - got out to the 50 pretty easy.

also the stoppage ruck worked seemed rather predictable for both colours, they seem to lay off into a similar spot each time - not many signs of differing stuff

Is it just me or was anyone else wondering why Mitch Brown played on Danhier?

While Daniher didn't dominate, there was not a point at which I thought that Brown looked like he could go with Joe.

I really hope we're not thinking about using Brown in a stopping role to enable Hurley to play as the third tall. If Brown has been an effective stopper in a game I've not seen it.

There is definitely an argument to be had about whether the three tall defenders for round 1, if we are going to play three genuine tall defenders, should be:

KPD1: Ambrose
KPD2: Hartley
KPD3: Hurley

or

KPD2: Hurley
KPD3: Brown

It would be disappointing, in the extreme, if Hartley has stagnated so badly that we are seriously thinking of using Brown in a stopping role. I've not seen that to suggest that Brown would be any more equipped for a taller forward than Ambrose and Hurley would be (given the speed and physical strength of Ambrose and Hurley).

The other strange thing from the day was having McKernan/Draper vs TBell meaning that red had virtually no capacity to win the ball out of the middle of the ground. I can understand wanting to reward McKernan, if that's what it was, but it made centre clearances a training drill (when they should have been competitive).

Is it just me or was anyone else wondering why Mitch Brown played on Danhier?

While Daniher didn't dominate, there was not a point at which I thought that Brown looked like he could go with Joe.

I really hope we're not thinking about using Brown in a stopping role to enable Hurley to play as the third tall. If Brown has been an effective stopper in a game I've not seen it.

There is definitely an argument to be had about whether the three tall defenders for round 1, if we are going to play three genuine tall defenders, should be:

KPD2: Hartley
KPD3: Hurley

or

KPD2: Hurley
KPD3: Brown

It would be disappointing, in the extreme, if Hartley has stagnated so badly that we are seriously thinking of using Brown in a stopping role. I've not seen that to suggest that Brown would be any more equipped for a taller forward than Ambrose and Hurley would be (given the speed and physical strength of Ambrose and Hurley).

The other strange thing from the day was having McKernan/Draper vs TBell meaning that red had virtually no capacity to win the ball out of the middle of the ground. I can understand wanting to reward McKernan, if that's what it was, but it made centre clearances a training drill (when they should have been competitive).

More about giving Hurley more time as that 3rd mobile defender than playing as a key defender. For some reason they didnt have Harltey, Ambrose and Hurley in the same side.

For round 1 we would have to play 3 talls vs the crows. Even if Tex Walker isnt playing

Hopefully he isnt because then i like the matchups of

T.Lynch - Ambrose
Jenkins - Hartley
McGovern - Hurley

Out of curiosity and sorry if it's been mentioned, was the game played on the MCG or Etihad size ground?

Didn’t see game, but can someone tell me where Hartley’s at? Did he play?

Got massive concerns with him at FB & could use any positive feedback I can get to help me think otherwise.

He was about as good as the Pats in the Superbowl mate :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

last year I hated how we kept routinely hitting the same spot from kick outs - however in this I noticed the red team in particular seemed to be going by hand to players stationed around the boundary, worked well...draw player, handball over the top - got out to the 50 pretty easy.
The exact technique Goddard employed so successfully against Sydney.

His body shape is making him look like he could be extra dangerous this year

Not necessarily, he was voted in for his outstanding leadership more than anything, don’t have to be a best 22 player to be a good leader.

Woos has likes blokes like Myers for sure.

If Myers can play the whole season without injury he will become a vital cog in the middle, with his size and experience I would have him
in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back